THE SOLDIER (1982) - The Netherlands dvd

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

THE SOLDIER (1982) - The Netherlands dvd

Postby Davy_Lee » 01 Mar 2013 04:40

ENDGAME a.k.a. Bronx lotta finale (1983) is one of the many Italian post-apocalyptic films released following the Escape From New York - Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior fad in the early 80s.

This dvd will be released by CMV Laser Vision Germany in April. The video is 1.33 : 1 and one of the two audio options available is English 2.0. . The picture quality is above average (I've seen the screenshots posted on another website).

Here is one of the three dvd cover options(Cover C):
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1200/endgame2.jpg

Does anyone know an online shop selling it? This is not being sold on Amazon.de.

Thanks for any info.

As a side note, CMV Laser Vision has previously released RUSH (1983, Tonino Ricci) and RUSH 2, two obscure Italian post-nuke holocaust films starring Conrad Nichols. The former has an English audio option and the video is anamorphic widescreen, but the latter only has German audio.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 01 Mar 2013 11:39, edited 3 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Re: ENDGAME (Joe D'Amato, 1983)

Postby Mark_Meakin » 01 Mar 2013 07:49

Hi Davy.From looking on the net,Its seems it was released LAST April & is now possibly OOP.I can't find any shops selling copies. Shame if that's the case as I would've picked it up having previously owned the cut & uncut VTC video releases.
http://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=3540
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: ENDGAME (Joe D'Amato, 1983)

Postby Davy_Lee » 01 Mar 2013 10:13

I got excited after skimming the posts on ENDGAME on one website that I MISSED reading the year of release. Coincidentally, next month is April, so I was assuming that it would be this April. :lol:

I'll close this post and change it to another title then.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 01 Mar 2013 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Re: THE SOLDIER (1982)

Postby Davy_Lee » 01 Mar 2013 10:35

THE SOLDIER was directed by James Glickenhaus and stars Ken Wahl and Klaus Kinski.

I've not found any reliable info on the Netherlands dvd released by Universal. Is the video in anamorphic widescreen, and is the version cut?

Amazon UK states it is anamorphic with a run time of 84'. But you know how unreliable the dvd info on Amazon UK sometimes can be.

Your info will be much appreciated :)

Davy_Lee

Re: THE SOLDIER (1982) - The Netherlands dvd

Postby Mark_Meakin » 01 Mar 2013 14:51

I have the Polish release Davy, which loses a second or so from the opening shootout according to other sites but can't say I've noticed myself & it's not verified.It's a decent transfer & contains the lightbulb bomb construction scene totally missing from the UK release but intact in the old Embassy tape :lol: .I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Dutch release but if it utilises the same Studio Canal source it will also probably be very slightly trimmed (If indeed the film is).
EDIT: Probably similar to the Polish disc looking at the info below :-
http://www.freerecordshop.nl/film/soldi ... 0582382204
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 01 Mar 2013 16:21

The Dutch dvd has an almost identical cover to that of the Scandinavian release, and it also has a Studio Canal logo on the front cover. This means that this and the Scandinavian release are the best options available so far.

James Glickenhaus's THE EXTERMINATOR is not a rare collector's item anymore. I wish that THE SOLDIER would be released on bd+dvd combo too anytime soon.

I still remember one of the well-staged action sequences quite well: the reversal jump-and-shoot with a semi-automatic machine gun by a man (Ken Wahl?) on ice skis. :2gunfire: but rather vaguely on the tanker scene. Despite the not-so-satisfying ending, I liked it when I watched it on video back then. Those good ol' days :rainbow1:

Thanks a lot Mark. You seem to have a lot of collections on vhs and you are very knowledgeable about films of the past (Pre-90s era).

Cheers :)

Davy_Lee

Postby Mark_Meakin » 01 Mar 2013 17:58

No problem Davy :) .I DID have a large VHS collection until dvd,but sold quite a few to Blockbusters just holding onto the rarer precerts which I got more for.I wish I'd kept onto a few of my films as they've yet to arrive on dvd like THE KEEP, or THE WEREWOLF & THE YETI (Awful but entertaining) .I also had a lot of US TV films from the 70s which unfortunately I've not been able to replace like SATAN'S TRIANGLE & the Gene Roddenbery pilot SPECTRE (1977) in its uncut version. :(
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 19 May 2013 15:38

I finally bought it. Got the Italian release and it's uncut. It's identical to the Scandinavian and Netherlands release but with additional extras.

BTW, the music by Tangerine Dream is cool :onfire:

Now this request can be deleted. :wink:

Davy_Lee

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion