Weird Science (1985) ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Weird Science (1985) ADDED

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 16 Jun 2017 09:48

Does anyone have any information about the UK-DVD of "Weird Science (1985)"?

There are comparisons of America (x3), France, Holland, Scandinavia, Australia, but none of the UK-version. Most notably about most of these country versions listed, they have the following information:

The English DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks however are missing some dialogue between 07:17-07:27:
- Gary: Very nice.
- Gary: I told you, Wyatt. If there's one thing I know, it's female stats.
All the dub soundtracks on the DVD have these lines dubbed.
Also note that the DVD version restores the original music soundtrack that was played in theaters. The VHS and TV versions use the song "Weird Science" in two places, where this DVD version (=theatrical version) plays "Pretty Woman" and the "Theme from Rocky".

I am interested to know if anyone knows if the UK-DVD version is similarly cut-dubbed or alternate background music used.
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Weird Science (1985)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 17 Jun 2017 06:26

As the UK DVD has the exact same specs as the PAL releases already in our database and no news of a fix, it's safe to say the UK disc suffers from the same issue.
The Blu-ray releases have reinstated the missing audio, making it yet another reason to upgrade to Blu-ray. :wink:
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 17 Jun 2017 08:40

Figures Blu-Ray tends to have things intact - oh well... I'll consider the possibility of upgrading to Blu-Ray, but I won't stop my DVD-compare requests for the time being! :-D

Just curious though - I find the information on this DVD-title though a bit odd and confusing. OK, the information says it restores the background music (otherwise removed or altered in VHS and TV releases) - so the altered background music should be original and no problems and I think we can ignore that now....
However when it comes to the dialogue - for most reviews they say "No cuts", then they say two lines of dialogue are missing, but then they say they are dubbed ("all dub soundtracks on the DVD have these lines dubbed").

Erm, sorry, but this is really not very clear to me - it says it isn't cut, but it is, but it is/isn't sort of? Which one is it? I hate to be a pain, but I feel this information needs to be re-worded clarified or something. :-?

Also if the two lines of dialogue are cut / altered - I wonder why they changed them anyway - the lines themselves aren't really offensive (not for a 15-rating movie anyway). And if they lines were removed because the background music during that scene was also removed (which the information suggests the background music was reinserted anyway), then why is the dialogue affected?

Just seems like the information is a bit muddled up here. (Kind of makes the uncut Blu-Ray version a better option really - ha! :lol: But never mind that - I would still like to know what is going on with this DVD-version if anyone knows).
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 18 Jun 2017 14:28

Technically the film itself is not cut - as in there are no missing scenes. As the audio has some differences, it could be considered cut. Will have a discussion with the mods on the issue. For now, I've also updated the R1 Image Entertainment release as "no cuts" since the film itself is intact.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 18 Jun 2017 15:46

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Technically the film itself is not cut - as in there are no missing scenes. As the audio has some differences, it could be considered cut.

Oh I see - I wonder what the audio differences are when comparing the original and the dub? I'm just so curious about what way it's been altered.

By the way - I checked various other sites like WIKI, IMDB, MELONFARMERS, MOVIECENSORSHIP, Amazon-Reviews, etc (as I do with all films/TV-series because I really hate cuts and censorship in everything :evil: ), yet there is no mention of this strange dub alteration anywhere (I should have mentioned this originally really - my bad :-D ). I am just now beginning to wonder if someone made a mistake when the information about this film was posted here on DVDCOMPARE (maybe it was only on the Region1 American version with the altered soundtrack, that the alt-dub dialogue occurs?)

Well I don't know - just a theory. Maybe you could keep me up to date on this if you find out anything.

Anyway, thanks for checking.
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 18 Jun 2017 22:37

James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 19 Jun 2017 14:29

We are keeping it as "no cuts" but a note with the audio substitutions for this.

An example that audio censorship becoming a "cut" version would be something like Smashing Pumpkins - Vieuphoria in which the lyrics are censored leaving audio gaps in the "clean" version of the DVD.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests