Sherlock Holmes: Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Film Series

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Sherlock Holmes: Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Film Series

Postby Brent_Reid » 23 Jun 2017 17:10

Can we have a combined DVD page featuring all the restored box sets, as per Chaplin's Keystones, Essanays and Mutuals? Complete sets have been issued in the US (MPI), UK (Optimum), France (France Télévisions Distribution), Germany (Koch Media) and Australia (Umbrella Entertainment). There's also a pirated Italian set from Sinister Film/CG Entertainment.

It would make more sense: as with the Chaplins, most (#3-14) of the films have never been released individually anyway. A further suggestion: do a 301 redirect on the individual films' pages to the combined page. As the first two films (Hound and Adventures) have only seen a couple of individual releases apiece, you could also do a redirect or retain individual pages just for them.

The only other restored DVDs are Legend's B&W and colorized versions of the four PD films (Secret, Woman, Terror and Dressed). They've been issued in various countries but I have the US and UK versions, so can add those. :)
Brent_Reid

Re: Sherlock Holmes: Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Film Series

Postby Samuel_Scott » 25 Jun 2017 13:43

So our basic rule is no box sets get a separate comparison (some older ones still exist), but collections of shorts can. Under this rule, the answer would be a hard no as we will then also get people wanting comparisons of other box sets.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Brent_Reid » 26 Jun 2017 08:08

I figured so, but does that mean any Sherlock box sets that are submitted will get listed in their entirety on each of the 14 films' pages, as per the BDs?
Brent_Reid

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Jun 2017 08:39

Brent_Reid wrote:I figured so, but does that mean any Sherlock box sets that are submitted will get listed in their entirety on each of the 14 films' pages, as per the BDs?

If they have a bonus disc with no film on, then yes. If it is just a grouping of single releases, then notes will be added instead - "Also available in....".

We do have some which have box sets listed in their entirety, but this has to be done for releases we have got reviews for in order to set it up correctly. :)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Brent_Reid » 26 Jun 2017 17:00

Great answer - thanks Sam. It all makes perfect sense but is there a page or thread somewhere detailing stuff like this, to save me asking further potentially unnecessary questions in future?
Brent_Reid

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Jun 2017 00:21

I've been rewriting the FAQs for about two years. :lol: Time is the enemy.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Brent_Reid » 04 Jul 2017 03:02

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Brent_Reid wrote:I figured so, but does that mean any Sherlock box sets that are submitted will get listed in their entirety on each of the 14 films' pages, as per the BDs?

If they have a bonus disc with no film on, then yes. If it is just a grouping of single releases, then notes will be added instead - "Also available in....".

We do have some which have box sets listed in their entirety, but this has to be done for releases we have got reviews for in order to set it up correctly. :)

This has me puzzled: each of the Rathbone/Bruce films on BD have the box sets' contents listed in their entirety but neither of your points applies to those...
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 04 Jul 2017 08:44

With the Blu-ray set the films aren't available separately and each disc contains multiple films. Best to list all contents there to show how the films are divided.

Alternately if there is a set with 1 film per disc we don't necessarily have to list all contents of other disc and write "Also available in the 5-disc 5-film xxxx collection".
Although having all on the same page can be helpful especially if extras are spread actoss all discs, like Criterion boxsets for example.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 04 Jul 2017 17:04

"...especially if extras are spread actoss all discs..." Aha! You mean like the MPI/Optimum/etc Holmes DVDs? :wink:

There are some big holes and a few errors in the various DVD listings which I'll get plugging soon, but it would be really good if someone could add the 5-disc/14 film US MPI box set (2006).

A slightly different request: does anyone here own the 118-page booklet of production notes that came with some copies of the 2005 Optimum UK DVD set? If so, please get in touch!
Brent_Reid

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests