An American Tail (1986) DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

An American Tail (1986) DONE

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 29 Aug 2017 08:56

Another request please: UK DVD "An American Tail (1986)" - only other country comparisons currently, no UK listings again.

Oh and this is another one of these "new remix soundtracks" problem request (sorry) :( - like those I recently discussed in another section concerning other titles like Jaws, Grease, The Terminator etc. More recent releases (though I'm not sure exactly when or in what country) have a remixed soundtrack with all the usual stuff like new extra soundeffects etc compared to the original soundtrack. Most notably is the "Orphan Kids Scene" which uses alternate dubbed voices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCgWnA2cprg <<< (compares the old and new dub versions)
(Below are IMDB and WIKI links on the subject for reference - I know you guys said they aren't necessarily reliable sources of information you accept - but there are also various other forum websites etc that discuss the differences on google):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090633/alt ... t_ql_trv_5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Tail#Media

Is it possible to find out what version of soundtrack (new or old, or perhaps both) is used on the UK DVD please? (The other listings might need updating too).
Ewan_McMahon

Re: An American Tail (1986) UK DVD

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Aug 2017 10:08

First off, it seems confirmed that there are some audio differences between the VHS and the DVD, but were these dubbed for the DVD? The Laserdisc? Or was it originally part of the theatrical version and reinstated for the DVD?

Also, there's an inconsistency in the IMDB link saying the 2006 DVD. The US DVD was released in 2004, Europe in 2005. Their info that about differences may be correct but by the incorrect year that does make things discrediting.

Considering all the DVD releases of An American Tail are released by Universal and all have 5.1 audio and not the original Dolby surround track, it's safe to assume they are identical. If we had a link to somewhere like Movie-Censorship that documents the differences that would be more helpful than the links provided. The YouTube link is useful but that is only for one scene.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 29 Aug 2017 11:19

Like I said, it's one of these "problem requests" :wink: sorry.

I don't know anymore than what I knew already, and what little I've found on those links - it's so unfortunate that IMDB info is so often inaccurate. I only know there are two distinct soundtrack/dub versions but when where and on what they may have been released I cannot be certain. I was kind of hoping you guys could find out more data for us from somewhere! :lol:

I do know for certain on the remix version, (apart from the orphan scene) other sound-effects are mostly just minor little things throughout the movie (like in the movie Grease): with heavier sounding footsteps and movement type sounds based on whatever is happening in the scene. Unfortunatly I cannot find another YouTube link or anything clearly showing these things.

Perhaps we should open a new topic in the DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion section, and make a list of all these kinds of movies that have these x2 sound-effect soundtracks - could be useful if anyone can find any new information? Just a thought...
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Samuel_Scott » 29 Aug 2017 11:33

Ewan_McMahon wrote:Perhaps we should open a new topic in the DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion section, and make a list of all these kinds of movies that have these x2 sound-effect soundtracks - could be useful if anyone can find any new information? Just a thought...

Feel free to go for it! :)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 29 Aug 2017 11:43

Samuel_Scott wrote:Feel free to go for it! :)

Will do later when I got time to spare. :lol:

In the mean time, we might as well see if there are UK DVD stats of An American Tail available anywhere (regardless of whatever old or new soundtrack it uses) and update the page(s) - maybe the pages can be updated with the more complicated old-or-new soundtrack-type data later?...
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Aug 2017 13:54

Ewan_McMahon wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:Feel free to go for it! :)

Will do later when I got time to spare. :lol:

In the mean time, we might as well see if there are UK DVD stats of An American Tail available anywhere (regardless of whatever old or new soundtrack it uses) and update the page(s) - maybe the pages can be updated with the more complicated old-or-new soundtrack-type data later?...

I searched for a UK release specs. Found none.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 02 Sep 2017 15:50

Looks like this might be another long standing request before any UK DVD data might pop up (like one of my previous requests "Rings" from a few days ago).

Permission to request another title?
Trouble is, just FYI the only things I've got left to request are titles where there are no UK DVD listings currently on site (of a title that is already listed), or a request of a TV-series (not listed at all on site) - both of which might be tricky things to find any data of. So with that in mind, is it OK to put in another request, or shall I wait till An-American-Tail and Rings data have been found? I'm trying not to pile you guys up with many tricky requests...
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Sep 2017 21:59

I own an arseload of UK releases so if you have a scan of what I have so far catalogued (about 70% of my collection) here - http://invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/s ... chardscott - I may be able to help with some requests you have, but a lot of my titles are also in storage so it'll be hit and miss. :lol:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 03 Sep 2017 08:37

Well, all I can find on your list (that I have an interest in seeing the UK DVD data) that don't currently a UK DVD version comparison listed here on dvdcompare, are:

"Rush Hour 3"
"Just My Luck"
"Unstoppable (2010)"
(Just My Luck and Unstoppable I have requested in the past - and some country releases have been added to the database, but there has not been any UK DVD data available, which I'm still interested in also seeing).

I think the only remaining things I have an interest in seeing DVD data about are a few TV-series titles, which don't appear to be in your collection, or listed on dvdcompare as yet. :o

I am also interested in seeing the UK DVD data of the re-release version of "Rush Hour" - which I want to know if it includes subtitles. However looks like the copy you have of that is the original release that is missing the important subtitles during the chinese dialogue scenes (identical to the version already listed on dvdcompare I think).

For the most part: apart from the above mentioned titles (and a few other titles on site that might still not have any UK DVD listings due to none being found as yet), I think all the titles I am interested in have at least x1 UK DVD release listing currently on site. Re-releases of existing listed titles I will try not to request data for - since they are even more complicated and probably even harder to find data anyway. :-?

Thanks for sharing your catalogue though - if I do happen to find something I missed that's not listed here on site, I'll put in a request. In the mean time - is it OK for me to put in a new TV-series request?
Ewan_McMahon

Re: An American Tail (1986) DONE

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Jan 2018 23:43

All home media releases have changes to the audio. Updated.
Samuel_Scott

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests