CRASH AND BURN R0 USA

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

CRASH AND BURN R0 USA

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 18 May 2011 08:46

Title: Crash and Burn
Region: 0
Distributor: Shout Factory
Case Type: Amaray
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Anamorphic?: no
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Subtitles (are they optional?): none
Cuts: 1:24:18 - NTSC
Commentaries: none
Extras: none
Notes: only available on the GIANT ROBOT ACTION PACK single disc double feature with ROBOT WARS
Easter Eggs: none
Source:* review copy

CRASH AND BURN previously from Full Moon in the 4-disc CHARLES BAND DVD COLLECTION VOL 1.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: CRASH AND BURN R0 USA FAO ecc

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 05 Jun 2011 21:39

What years were this and Robot Wars made? I ask as there are a couple of other films out the with the same titles.
Wise man once say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 06 Jun 2011 02:52

Easy peasy! It was made in 1990:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099313/
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 06 Jun 2011 08:31

What about Robot Wars?

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 06 Jun 2011 08:38

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107979/

It is a Full Moon sequel to the Empire Pictures film ROBOT JOX. It is called ROBOT JOX 2 in some territories (although CRASH AND BURN is also called ROBOT JOX 2 in come countries as well).
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: CRASH AND BURN R0 USA

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 06 Jun 2011 09:23

Thanks for the info :) no wonder I couldn't find it.

I'll add this one.

Oliver_Wicks

Re: CRASH AND BURN R0 USA (IN PROGRESS)

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 10 Jun 2011 02:34

EEC - Thanks for submitting these stats as I was actually interested in buying this DVD. Now that I know that it's 4:3 Fullscreen with no bonus features, I'll keep my old 4:3 Letterbox DVD - the first release of the film from Koch, which is long before the 4-disc Charles Band DVD Collection Vol 1.

If the admins don't get mad at me for "hijacking" this thread, here's the info for the original DVD release of the film that I own.

Title: Crash And Burn (1990)
Region: 0 (All)
Distributor: Full Moon Pictures/Koch Vision
Case Type: Amaray
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Anamorphic?: No (4:3 Letterbox)
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Subtitles (are they optional?): None
Film Length: 1:24:28
Commentaries: None
Extras:
- Trailer (1:04)
- Bloopers (5:50)
- Making Of featurette (7:00)
- Cast & Crew Filmographies (1 screen for each): Charles Band, David Allen, Megan Ward, Paul Ganus, Bill Moseley.
- "Website" (0:34) [Full Moon contact info]
- "Merchandise" (1:30) [ad for Puppet Master toys, preceded by Full Moon contact info screen]
Notes: There are pauses and two seconds of blackness at these spots: 19:37. 37:24, 57:21, and 74:38. It should be noted that this is a single layer DVD, so these pauses are not layer changes. I can only guess that these might have been film reel or laserdisc master side changes. Whatever is the case, Koch did a poor job with the editing in those spots. It might also be of interest to note that the disc's name in Windows is "FREEWAY2_SCN". Also, this DVD was released in 2000 and is now out-of-print.
Easter Eggs: None
Source: DVD I Own

This is the DVD listed at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RE1V/ which I purchased from Amazon in September 2000 - as it reminds me with a note at the top of the page :-)

Also, I don't know if the movie was or wasn't meant to be shown 4:3 fullscreen, as (apparently) on the Shout Factory DVD. I don't know if it was originally direct-to-vhs or theatrical. So it's possible that my letterboxed DVD is actually presenting the film incorrectly. If anyone knows for sure one way or the another, please chime in. Otherwise, I'll assume the 1.66:1 aspect ratio of the DVD I have is the correct OAR.
Paul_Rudoff

Re: CRASH AND BURN R0 USA (DONE!)

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 10 Jun 2011 10:15

I'm marking this as done but if anyone can confirm the OAR then let us know :).

Thanks for the specs guys.

Oliver_Wicks

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 10 Jun 2011 12:53

I'm not sure what the OAR on these is. The Full Moon titles from this era - in collaboration with Paramount - were shot with home video in mind, but a few of them did indeed get small theatrical releases here and abroad. 1.85:1 may have been the projection ratio, but they may have been composed for 1.66:1 as a compromise between fullscreen video and theatrical projection.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 10 Jun 2011 15:19

Thanks for the info, I'll make a note of it.

Oliver_Wicks

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 15 Jun 2011 02:27

Thanks for adding my info, and thanks for not being mad that I posted it to a pre-existing thread. It just seemed like the appropriate place to put it :-)

By the way, you made a slight error in the notes for EEC's info on the comparison page
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=18145

You put: - Only available in the Giant Robot Action Pack single disc double-feature with Crash And Burn.

It should be: - Only available in the Giant Robot Action Pack single disc double-feature with Robot Wars.

Just thought I'd point that out since it doesn't make sense unless corrected :-)
Paul_Rudoff

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 15 Jun 2011 10:51

Doh :oops:! Now fixed.

Oliver_Wicks

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 15 Jun 2011 23:37

At the risk of annoying the mods for keeping this thread open longer than necessary (since the relevant DVD data is now on the site), I thought I might see if ECC would be willing to help try to figure out what is the correct aspect ratio for this movie.

I just did four quick frame grabs from around the beginning of the movie from my DVD (the Koch Vision release). These present the film in 1.66:1, framed into 4:3.

ECC, if you can, please grab these frames from your Shout Factory DVD and post them so we can compare the two DVDs. Maybe we can figure out what the correct OAR is. The numbers listed are the timecodes I grabbed the frames at. The timecodes on your DVD should be similar. My film starts on the fade-in on the sun close-up, then the "Full Moon Pictures" credit screen, then the title screen.

0:10 - Title Screen

1:25 - Guy on motorcycle in front of Bud's Last Chance

6:03 - Motorcycle Riding In Front Of Power Plant

6:30 - Winston Wicket Show
Paul_Rudoff

Re: CRASH AND BURN R0 USA FAO ECC

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 16 Jun 2011 17:33

Open matte but slightly cropped it looks like.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 18 Jun 2011 00:43

ecc wrote:Open matte but slightly cropped it looks like.

That would be my assessment, too, looking over the frames. You see a tad more on the sides in the Koch DVD, but more on the top and bottom on the Shout DVD.

Unfortunately, that brings us back to square one in regards to which is the proper aspect ratio. It could go either way. 1.33:1 could be correct, with the 1.66:1 being presented in faux widescreen. Or, 1.66:1 could simply be matted widescreen, which is a very common thing, though usually it's 1.85:1 matted.

My gut tells me matted widescreen is the correct presentation, though I really suspect that it should be 1.85:1 since 1.66:1 isn't very common. But that's just my opinion from the experience of not seeing many 1.66:1 films. IMDB says that 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio:

Film negative format (mm/video inches): 35 mm
Printed film format: 35 mm
Aspect ratio: 1.66:1

Assuming the IMDB is not wrong, I guess that's the OAR. At least the Shout DVD is open matte and there's not much cut off on the sides, so you're not seeing a butchered presentation.

Anyway, thank you for posting the frames from the Shout DVD.
Paul_Rudoff

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 18 Jun 2011 01:03

[quote="Paul_Rudoff"][quote="ecc"]Open matte but slightly cropped it looks like.[/quote]

That would be my assessment, too, looking over the frames. You see a tad more on the sides in the Koch DVD, but more on the top and bottom on the Shout DVD.

Unfortunately, that brings us back to square one in regards to which is the proper aspect ratio. It could go either way. 1.33:1 could be correct, with the 1.66:1 being presented in faux widescreen. Or, 1.66:1 could simply be matted widescreen, which is a very common thing, though usually it's 1.85:1 matted.

My gut tells me matted widescreen is the correct presentation, though I really suspect that it should be 1.85:1 since 1.66:1 isn't very common. But that's just my opinion from the experience of not seeing many 1.66:1 films. [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099313/technical]IMDB says[/url] that 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio:

[quote]Film negative format (mm/video inches): 35 mm
Printed film format: 35 mm
Aspect ratio: 1.66:1[/quote]

Assuming the IMDB is not wrong, I guess that's the OAR. At least the Shout DVD is open matte and there's not much cut off on the sides, so you're not seeing a butchered presentation.

Anyway, thank you for posting the frames from the Shout DVD.[/quote]

As I mentioned, 1.66:1 could be a compromise for composing between 1.85:1 for projection and 1.33:1 for video (which would have been the larger venue).
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 22 Jun 2011 20:40

Have you reached a consensus on the AR?

Oliver_Wicks

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 24 Jun 2011 21:27

Oliver - I was hoping a frame comparison would provide a definitive answer, but sadly, no. I guess we'll have to call the matter "settled" for now.
Paul_Rudoff

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 25 Jun 2011 11:01

I'm going move this to the Reference section now, thanks for your input guys 8).

Oliver_Wicks

Return to Reference