THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 13 Dec 2012 11:49

Mark Goldblatt's THE PUNISHER is getting released on Blu-ray in the Netherlands from T2 Entertainment / Soul Media (no features).

Image

But most important is that Koch Media will release in 2013 a mediabook special edition in Germany that includes an audio commentary by Goldblatt, the R-rated and unrated cuts of the film plus a workprint transfered from an original beta tape (not like the copied copy of a VHS copy that was put out a few years ago) plus a liner notes booklet. Hopefully the transfer will put all the other editions to shame...
Last edited by Jerry_Dam on 28 Feb 2013 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) up coming Blu-ray editions

Postby Paul_Lewis » 16 Dec 2012 22:36

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, Jerry. I've seen the Dutch BD for sale on FreeRecordShop but will most likely hold out for the German BD.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
User avatar
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 31 Jan 2008 18:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) up coming Blu-ray editions

Postby Leigh_Riding » 27 Feb 2013 15:45

This is also coming out in the UK by Anchor Bay, but I've heard from a reliable source that it's potentially an upscale, rather than a proper HD master.
Leigh_Riding
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 16 Dec 2010 14:23

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 28 Feb 2013 12:59

Yeah I'm inquiring about it, Anchor Bay already told me there won't me any special features. Waiting to hear where their masters is coming from.

The Scandinavian one coming in the spring from Soul Media is the same as the Dutch one ("R-rated" cut, 25 fr/s PAL sped up, mono 2.0 sound track).

As for the German special edition, it is to be announced soon when Koch Media's artwork gets approved from MGM/Fox. Probably your best bet for a decent one.

EDIT:
So the Anchor Bay's UK release will the R-rated cut version, but the good news its a new HD remaster and the sound will be Stereo 2.0 (unlike the previous DVD editions or current Dutch Blu-ray release).
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Leigh_Riding » 28 Feb 2013 14:23

The Stereo 2.0 track is actually accurate to the original version, isn't it?
Leigh_Riding
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 16 Dec 2010 14:23

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 28 Feb 2013 23:55

Yep, I just hope they gave me correct info, because unfortunately it's easy for corporate guys to confuse aspect ratios or the difference between a 2.0 stereo track and a 2.0 mono track.
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 22 Mar 2013 19:12

The German special edition from Koch Media is coming on April 22! 8)

Specs and artwork on the way...
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 22 Mar 2013 20:02

This is also coming out in the UK by Anchor Bay, but I've heard from a reliable source that it's potentially an upscale, rather than a proper HD master.


No BR disc will have a proper HD transfer.
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 23 Mar 2013 11:53

Anchor Bay told me it was proper HD.

Jerry_Dam wrote:The German special edition from Koch Media is coming on April 22! 8)

Specs and artwork on the way...

Mediabook 3 discs limited edition - 1 Blu-ray - 2 DVDs
Blu-ray: 89 Minutes (R-Rated), 90 Minutes (Unrated)
DVD: 94 Min. (Unrated-Workprint)
1.85:1 (16:9)
Audio: German Dolby Digital 2.0 / DTS HD 2.0
English Dolby Digital 2.0 / Englisch DTS HD 2.0
Subs: German

Special Features:
• Exclusive Audio Commentary with director Mark Goldblatt
• Workprint version transfered from Original tape
• Gag reel
(6 mins)
• US- and German Trailers
• Gallery with rare publicity material
(courtesy of yours truly)
• 20-pages booklet with notes by Thomas Witzler (German)

Pre-order
http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=51271
http://www.medienversand.at/xtcommerce/ ... -ray-.html
(Not sure if it will be on Amazon as this is a FSK-18 title)

Image
Last edited by Jerry_Dam on 23 Mar 2013 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 23 Mar 2013 12:20

Anchor Bay told me it was proper HD.


Yeah, right.
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Paul_Lewis » 23 Mar 2013 14:22

Jerry_Dam wrote:Anchor Bay told me it was proper HD.

That's good news, then! I'll still plump for the German disc, however :)
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
User avatar
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 31 Jan 2008 18:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 23 Mar 2013 14:30

I'll still plump for the German disc, however


Be very careful with German discs. Their DVDs and BRs are rarely any good. Usually badly cut and have poor sound mixing.
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Paul_Lewis » 23 Mar 2013 15:28

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
I'll still plump for the German disc, however


Be very careful with German discs. Their DVDs and BRs are rarely any good. Usually badly cut and have poor sound mixing.

Quite true in many cases, but Koch are usually quite reliable. It's nice to see they're including the workprint, as it's an interesting alternative to the final version of the film. (I've got the Austrian XT Video DVD release of the unrated version of this title, which also includes the workprint.)

I'm looking forward to Goldblatt's commentary on Koch's release, in particular.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
User avatar
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 31 Jan 2008 18:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 23 Mar 2013 16:12

I've got the Austrian XT Video DVD release of the unrated version of this title, which also includes the workprint.


I've got that one and that German CE too. Both got terrible A/V quality. The US one is slightly better as I recall.
But considering the movie itself, I'll never buy any BR no matter of what. :roll:
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jerry_Dam » 23 Mar 2013 22:37

Paul_Lewis wrote:Quite true in many cases, but Koch are usually quite reliable. It's nice to see they're including the workprint, as it's an interesting alternative to the final version of the film. (I've got the Austrian XT Video DVD release of the unrated version of this title, which also includes the workprint.)

Bu this time the workprint isn't made out of a copy of a VHS copy of a VHS copy of VHS copy: it's transfered from Goldblatt's own Beta tape of this workprint cut (which isn't his "directors cut" by the way, the unrated one is)...

What I hope is that this time we get proper stereo or surround sound, not mono 1.0 or mono 2.0 like on the US and German DVDs or the recent Dutch Blu-ray...
User avatar
Jerry_Dam
 
Posts: 73
Joined: 09 Jul 2010 16:32

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Paul_Lewis » 24 Mar 2013 00:43

Jerry_Dam wrote:
Paul_Lewis wrote:Quite true in many cases, but Koch are usually quite reliable. It's nice to see they're including the workprint, as it's an interesting alternative to the final version of the film. (I've got the Austrian XT Video DVD release of the unrated version of this title, which also includes the workprint.)

Bu this time the workprint isn't made out of a copy of a VHS copy of a VHS copy of VHS copy: it's transfered from Goldblatt's own Beta tape of this workprint cut (which isn't his "directors cut" by the way, the unrated one is)...

I'd assumed the workprint would be based on the same VHS source (based on a misreading of the phrase 'original tape'). This is sounding even more interesting.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
User avatar
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 31 Jan 2008 18:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Leigh_Riding » 24 Mar 2013 16:07

Paul_Lewis wrote:
Jerry_Dam wrote:
Paul_Lewis wrote:Quite true in many cases, but Koch are usually quite reliable. It's nice to see they're including the workprint, as it's an interesting alternative to the final version of the film. (I've got the Austrian XT Video DVD release of the unrated version of this title, which also includes the workprint.)

Bu this time the workprint isn't made out of a copy of a VHS copy of a VHS copy of VHS copy: it's transfered from Goldblatt's own Beta tape of this workprint cut (which isn't his "directors cut" by the way, the unrated one is)...

I'd assumed the workprint would be based on the same VHS source (based on a misreading of the phrase 'original tape'). This is sounding even more interesting.


The workprint is nice for completists, but to be fair, aside from an origin flashback which really should be reinstated, a lot of the footage is less than essential.
Leigh_Riding
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 16 Dec 2010 14:23

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 24 Mar 2013 16:25

a lot of the footage is less than essential.


It's even less essential then a flushed turd.
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Leigh_Riding » 24 Mar 2013 17:16

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
a lot of the footage is less than essential.


It's even less essential then a flushed turd.


It's not totally worthless... I have a lot of reverence for Punisher '89... I'm an avid comic fan, Punisher is possibly my favorite character, and despite the fact that there are liberties with the origin and the costume, there are plot themes and character elements that are far truer to the spirit of the books and the character than Punisher '04 and War Zone... abominations.
Leigh_Riding
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 16 Dec 2010 14:23

Re: THE PUNISHER (1989) upcoming Blu-ray editions

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 24 Mar 2013 17:53

Leigh_Riding wrote:
Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
a lot of the footage is less than essential.


It's even less essential then a flushed turd.


It's not totally worthless... I have a lot of reverence for Punisher '89... I'm an avid comic fan, Punisher is possibly my favorite character, and despite the fact that there are liberties with the origin and the costume, there are plot themes and character elements that are far truer to the spirit of the books and the character than Punisher '04 and War Zone... abominations.


To me Punisher is nothing. Just another comic character. And yeah, Punisher '04 and War Zone are really filthy movies. :oops:
User avatar
Jim_Mcdonaugh
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 22 Jul 2011 08:04

Next

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest