Blade Runner DVD Vs Blu-Ray

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: Blade Runner DVD Vs Blu-Ray

Postby Alcide_Herveaux » 14 Mar 2013 10:10

Agreed when it comes to getting the best cut of a film, Jyri. I always check on here before buying anything. When someone first gave me a link to this site I was livid when I realised how many DVD's I owned were cut or not extended ect ect, lol.
Feel free to message me if you feel like geeking out over films.
Alcide_Herveaux

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 14 Mar 2013 10:22

Alcide_Herveaux wrote:Yeah she doesn't do anything for me to be honest, lol. I just used Jennifer's Body as an example :wink:

And she's skinny as hell. :lol:

Just watched Dark Tide and Halle Berry is absolutely stunning there! Never looked better I tell you that.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Alcide_Herveaux » 14 Mar 2013 10:32

Megan Fox definately needs to eat some pies as do many actresses, lol.
Feel free to message me if you feel like geeking out over films.
Alcide_Herveaux

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 14 Mar 2013 10:37

Alcide_Herveaux wrote:Megan Fox definately needs to eat some pies as do many actresses, lol.

She's a major slut and has no time for that. :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Hamish_Towgood » 04 May 2013 08:39

Jyri_Lehtinen wrote:The bd transfer is only marginally better over dvd occasionally during the movie and it could have been much better. TrueHD 5.1 audio is again way better than the dolby 5.1 on the dvd in terms of clarity and depth and perhaps the only real reason to update to bd, if you have a proper audio setup. Otherwise dvd will do just fine.

You can't be serious mate, Blade Runner looks absolutely stunning on Blu-ray, miles better than it ever has done on DVD. The fact it was completely re-scanned and remastered makes it the clear winner. Of all the 900+ Blu-Rays I own, I rank Blade Runner in my Top 20 of all time, and Top 10 of 'Previously on DVD'.

I don't think I'll ever buy another DVD again since upgrading to BD, well, maybe the occasional multi-disc wrestling set, but not films or shows recorded in HD or on Film.

I'd like to see you watch Star Trek Next Generation Season 1,2 and 3 on Blu-ray and tell me they look 'marginally better' than their DVD counterparts lol
Hamish_Towgood

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 04 May 2013 21:24

You must be a newbie in the blu-ray world if you think it's automatically better than dvd. I've seen dozens and dozens of movies which have looked actually worse on bd than on dvd and more than enough of those only marginally better, no matter the size of the various tvs and screens I've watched them on. Low quality is always just simply due to lazyness of the restoration team or lack of budget to do a proper restoration (or both). It depends on how much real effort has been done with the transfer to make it significantly better than the dvd. Excessive noise and grain reduction alone doesn't make a good blu-ray even if many production companies think so with their subpar releases. Most of the time there isn't much effort involved.

I didn't say which dvd release I was referring to with my comparison, out of the numerous ones Blade Runner has got throughout the years... I was talking about the 2007 Final Cut which I still have on both dvd and bd on their own UE box sets.
That dvd isn't transfer qualitywise too different from the bd version apart from the obvious like lower bitrate and slightly less detail, they both still originate from the exact same remastered transfer. It's a whole another story if you compare the bd to any of the earlier dvds of which many surely are worse than hideous even by dvd standards.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Hamish_Towgood » 05 May 2013 05:12

Yeah a newbie since around 2007 with a 900+ collection :lol:

Please provide me an example where a DVD release was superior to its Blu-Ray.
Hamish_Towgood

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 17 May 2013 16:30

Sorry for the delay, which will keep on going further for a while as I won't be home until next week.. for the record, I have been collecting movies since the days of VHS and nowadays I have about 3400 dvds and 600 blu-rays. Years ago I had about 7500 dvds (have since sold over half of them) and I have seen way beyond 1500 blu-rays so I know there are amazing ones and terrible ones in both camps.

When I'm back home, I'll list some titles which surely have pointless bd releases with minor at best to no improvement over their dvd companions. Obviously by numbers bd will always be better technically to dvd but visually it's a whole another story and even more obviously different people have different tastes for which looks better than the other. Increase in bitrate and other bd differences don't mean it always looks superior to dvd.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 17 May 2013 16:51

Yeah a newbie since around 2007 with a 900+ collection

900+ titles is nothing, actually. My buddy has over 11000 already...

You can't be serious mate, Blade Runner looks absolutely stunning on Blu-rar

Very mediocre at best. Hardly worth buying at all. Even if you're a die hard fan. There are way better transfers around.
And the sound is pretty much the same as any other Dolby 5.1 track on those old DVDs.
But if you believe it's much better then any DVD, then what can I say, you bought it you drive it. :)
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Previous

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion