The Shield - probably never on blu

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

The Shield - probably never on blu

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Apr 2013 09:55

Creator Shawn Ryan:
It’s not and right now there are no plans to. We filmed in a very basic Super-16 film, and I don’t understand all the technologies and all the techno-speak but my understanding is that right now it’s not an ideal candidate to be put on Blu-ray because of the quality of the film. I think they don’t feel there’d be enough distinction between the shitty grainy look that was intentional of the show that you achieve just through basic DVD. At least that’s how it’s been explained to me, so for the moment anyways it’s not available on Blu-ray.

This is my favourite show of all time. Hopefully one day we will get new releases with even more extras, whether DVD or blu.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: The Shield - probably never on blu

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 26 Apr 2013 11:13

This one will never look better on BR then on DVD anyway.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Re: The Shield - probably never on blu

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 26 Apr 2013 11:24

I can understand the reasons for that. Excessive noise and grain removal is a major element for BD releases so if you're creating a BD release of a film/tv show which was intentionally made dirty and grainy, the resulted transfer rarely is how the creators' wanted it to look when filming. There are countless examples of failed BD transfers from grainy source material like this so I'm glad if they don't force a BD release of The Shield until they have means to do it properly.

Personally I'm more into The Wire than The Shield. 8)
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion