The Kid (1921) Blu-ray problem

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

The Kid (1921) Blu-ray problem

Postby Brent_Reid » 15 May 2013 09:08

Does anyone on these forums own the Park Circus BD of Chaplin's The Kid? If so, I'd be v grateful if you could report whether or not you've noticed any jitter on playback.

Every few minutes, throughout the film, it jitters or judders for a second or so, before continuing to play. It's akin to the effect you'd get with a stuck record or CD.

It happens at the same points every time; here are the first four examples:

01.45: As the gates are locked behind her & Edna Purviance walks away from the charity hospital.

02.40: As the artist turns to talk to his friend, after the photo has fallen in the fire.

03.22: As Edna is placing her baby in the back of the car.

06.30: As Charlie is bending down to pick up the baby.

I have two BD players & it happens on both. I've never seen it on any of the other BDs I own, including all the other Park Circus Chaplin silents (except for The Gold Rush, of course; that's Criterion!).

Nor is this a problem inherent in the print itself: the included DVD of the film doesn't do it; neither does the R2 mk2/Warner DVD.

The BD was bought brand new & sealed & has no scratches or visible defects.

I've done several Internet searches since receiving it, but can find no mention of any defective discs being issued...

Can anyone help?
Brent_Reid

Re: The Kid (1921) Blu-ray problem

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 15 May 2013 10:33

Many BR discs have this problem. It's a mastering issue. Plus it depends on you BR player. Hi-End players rarely have this problem coz they autocorrect/stabilize somehow. Atleast mine players can do that.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion