In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Jul 2017 00:24

War for the Planet of the Apes - A lot of people are enjoying this one, but I found it to be a bit meh overall, very overlong with some pacing issues. A shame as I've really enjoyed the recent Apes films. The 3D was very good though, and I can't fault the special effects. The film looked amazing from start to finish. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Noor_Razzak » 21 Jul 2017 23:01

War for the Planet of the Apes - I watched this last week when it opened, I really enjoyed this final (perhaps?) chapter of this epic trilogy reboot. The film is effective in continuing Caesar's story as he tries to keep his pack safe and hidden from humans. Eventually war breaks out. The special effects are spectacular, Weta has upped their game yet again with incredible motion capture work. The film is ambitious, exciting, and engaging but in it's final act falls into cliche formula. Still it's a thrilling chapter in this trilogy, 8.5/10.

Dunkirk - I just came back from watching this in it's 70mm film presentation, I've always liked Christopher Nolan's films and from the trailers I was really looking forward to seeing this. It's not what I expected, but in a good way. It's not a typical war film, in fact aside from taking place during a tragic time during WWII I would hesitate to call it a war film, it's primarily a film about rescue and survival. The film features little dialogue, Nolan uses the expanse of his 70mm frame to tell the story. It's tense from start to finish, Nolan finds a way to place the viewer right into the story, whether on the beach, in a boat, in a plane, or in the ocean. The film's narrative is simple and direct, and it never gets overtly political. My only criticism is that we don't really get to know the characters in the film - other than placing you alongside them as they try to stay alive making an emotional connection with them is difficult. Otherwise it's a terrific film and probably Nolan's finest work to date, 9/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 26 Jul 2017 21:44

The Beguiled - Sofia Coppola's remake of the Clint Eastwood film, saw this tonight and if you're interested in taking a nap in a dark room then this one's for you. This film was slow and nothing like the trailer suggested, I thought it was going to be a tense and unnerving film. Instead I got a boring film, where not a lot happens and the ending is abrupt leaving the viewer wondering if that was it? The only good thing this has going for it is Philippe Le Sourd's lovely cinematography, 3/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 01 Aug 2017 18:27

Baby Driver - Loved it. Soundtrack was great and acting as well. 9/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 Aug 2017 22:04

LOU (short) - this Pixar's short was very nice.
Cars 3 - I could see that at 1 hour mark kids started to lose a bit interest as there was too much talking and not enough action & comedy, but over all ok, not as good as previous ones tho.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 Aug 2017 22:18

Dunkirk - Nolan has done it again. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. 10/10

Valerian - Some good ideas, but some misplaced scenes and poor casting. I still enjoyed it though. The 3D was very good throughout. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Aug 2017 07:50

Planning to spend a day at cinema and see 5 films today.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Aug 2017 08:54

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Planning to spend a day at cinema and see 5 films today.

Oh man. Been so long since I did that. I'm jealous :lol:

Please let one of them be Atomic Blonde as I'd like to hear your thoughts on that. Hoping to see it Sunday.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Aug 2017 21:29

Atomic Blonde - Visually great, action very nice & brutal and I liked the soundtrack also. But story and characters needed a bit more "something" 8/10
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Visually pleasing, but I just did not feel chemistry between the leads 7/10
Dunkirk - Overall very nice but it didn't need that jumping in time. It wasn't needed and that took rating down for me 8/10
Wind River - Loved this one. Liked the trailer and was not disappointed, very glad I chose to see it in cinema. 9/10
War for the Planet of the Apes - I liked this one a lot. Both effects and acting were superb. 9/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 Aug 2017 20:23

Spider-Man: Homecoming - That Asian best friend of Spidey annoyed the s**t out of me. Overall OK 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Aug 2017 19:19

Atomic Blonde - Certainly a case of style over substance, but I had an absolute blast with this one. Looking forward to see what Leitch will do with Deadpool 2. 4/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 20 Aug 2017 00:02

Logan Lucky - A lot has been said about Soderbergh's cinematic return, his last theatrical release was four years ago and he's been on the fence about retiring altogether for years... so it's nice to see him return to theatrical narrative after a few years making programming for television. Logan Lucky is an entertaining heist film, but instead of flashy Vegas types with silver tongues headlining the gang, it's a bunch of nitwit hillbillies from West Virginia trying to prove to themselves that they can truly pull of the heist of the century - robbing the Charlotte 600 Nascar race. The film was quite entertaining, the heist elements hook you, the characterizations are reeled in just enough as to not entirely make fun of their subjects. The film is generally fun, but does overstay its welcome, it's not one of Soderbergh's best, but it's worth checking out. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Aug 2017 15:42

The Hitman's Bodyguard - A fun popcorn film. Switch off your brain, take in the formulaic brainless plot, and just enjoy the great chemistry between Jackson and Reynolds. Decent set pieces, and Hayek's character is brilliant. 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 23 Aug 2017 16:52

Wind River - I've become a huge fan of Taylor Sheridan having loved all three films he's written, Sicario was incredible, Hell or High Water was my absolute favorite film of last year, and now Wind River. This time Sheridan also took over directing duties as well. The film is incredibly tense from the opening scene, the performances are brilliant, the cold and unforgiving environment is beautifully captured and is just as much a character in the film as Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. The story is simple, but Sheridan manages to craft something that seems complex, it's engrossing, thrilling, tense, and easily one of the best films of the year. 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Aug 2017 17:22

American Made - Decent enough movie for a Sunday afternoon. They got straight into the story which was good, but I didn't feel constantly gripped. 3/5

Tuesday night, Terminator 2 in 3D! :)
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 27 Aug 2017 21:10

Planing to see The Hitman's Bodyguard or American Made on Tuesday.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Aug 2017 21:17

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Planing to see The Hitman's Bodyguard or American Made on Tuesday.

Out of those, I would definitely say The Hitman's Bodyguard is the better cinema experience.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 29 Aug 2017 20:01

The Hitman's Bodyguard - Liked the action, cast and humor of this film. Maybe I'm overrating it but right now it feels like 8/10.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 29 Aug 2017 21:54

Terminator 2 3D - Well, as far as the film is concerned, it's Terminator 2 so 5/5. The 3D was a little disappointing though with mild depth only throughout. Still a worthwhile experience IMO.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 30 Aug 2017 01:58

Atomic Blonde - Went to an afternoon screening, lots of style over substance, great soundtrack, but I felt it dragged on a bit too long, some cliche action tropes where a little disappointing and the convoluted ending could have been more sharply handled, but overall it was an enjoyable action flick. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion