In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Feb 2017 17:10

The Lego Batman Movie - Not playing in 3D here annoyingly, but went to see it anyway. A lot of fun with some very good humour and pop culture references throughout, but it wasn't as consistently funny as the standard lego movie IMO. 3.5/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Feb 2017 18:30

John Wick: Chapter 2 - Even more brutal than the first, and again some superb set pieces. They've really opened up new avenues of the 'world' so to speak by exploring characters at a wider level. A third film is a must hopefully! 4/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Feb 2017 17:38

Patriot's Day - Yes, it is chest thumping USA USA stuff undoubtedly pumped up for Hollywood, but it is another solid team-up with Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg and a story of various people's bravery that is certainly worth telling. The supporting cast are superb, especially JK Simmons, and as usual with these true story movies, hearing from the real people involved at the end makes this all the more worthwhile. A solid 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 06 Mar 2017 03:33

Logan - now that was a Wolverine movie for the ages, this is the dark, brooding, violent, and epically shot Wolverine film that fans have been waiting for the entire time. James Mangold nails it with a thoughtful finality that resonates long after the credits have rolled. Each actor delivers captivating performances, this is easily the most adult X-Men film and quite possibly the best to date. It feels like a modern western and the filmmakers have crafted a film that manages to transcend its genre. 10/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Mar 2017 17:28

Noor_Razzak wrote:Logan - now that was a Wolverine movie for the ages, this is the dark, brooding, violent, and epically shot Wolverine film that fans have been waiting for the entire time. James Mangold nails it with a thoughtful finality that resonates long after the credits have rolled. Each actor delivers captivating performances, this is easily the most adult X-Men film and quite possibly the best to date. It feels like a modern western and the filmmakers have crafted a film that manages to transcend its genre. 10/10.

Just back from this and 100% agree. What a great film. On paper Stephen Merchant should be horribly miscast but he was perfect. What was funny was half the cinema waiting for a post-credits sequence (including me) that never came. 9/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 20 Mar 2017 14:27

Just got back from "Kong: Skull Island 3D". Nice popcorn flick. 7/10

Got tickets for "Logan" also. Got to see if it is as good as most people say it is.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 20 Mar 2017 20:53

Well, back from "Logan". :-D Loved this brutal Wolverine. 9/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 27 Mar 2017 22:10

Well another cinema Monday behind me. This time saw:
CHIPS (2017) - heard so much s**t about it so went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. 7/10
Life (2017) - I enjoyed this one very much. Not as much as Alien saga tho. 8/10

Another cinema is doing a "Crazy Tuesday" event tomorrow (all tickets 50% off) so planning to see two films tomorrow also. I think I'll go see John Wick 2 & Trainspotting 2.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 29 Mar 2017 22:19

Life - Like Ain, I dug it, but not as much as Alien. 3.5/5

Power Rangers - Starts with a hilariously unexpected humourous scene and was actually quite a lot of fun before hitting the cheese that reminded me of the show when I was a kid. 3/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Apr 2017 12:19

Ghost in the Shell (3D) - Caught this Thursday night. Won't get involved with the 'whitewashing' discussion that has come from the film, but I thought Scarlett Johansson was great in the role. However the story was fairly meh and I struggled to remain interested. The 3D was very good and the imagery was amazing though. A 2.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 07 Apr 2017 00:51

Samuel_Scott wrote:Ghost in the Shell (3D) - Caught this Thursday night. Won't get involved with the 'whitewashing' discussion that has come from the film, but I thought Scarlett Johansson was great in the role. However the story was fairly meh and I struggled to remain interested. The 3D was very good and the imagery was amazing though. A 2.5/5

Ghost in the Shell - Caught a screening today at IMAX 3D, I'll do the same as Sam and stay away from the whitewashing... visually it was terrific, it's easy to see how much the original anime influenced this Hollywood version. Scarlett was great in the role, the supporting characters where also engaging and interesting. The story had some pacing issues but overall I enjoyed the film. One of those situations where it could have been better but the end result wasn't awful. The 3D is stunning and the world building the filmmakers created suits the format. 7/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 15 Apr 2017 17:27

T2: Trainspotting - I love Danny Boyle, his films are always interesting and exhibit a unique energy. T2 is no different, it was great to see the original cast back at it again, but there's a line in the film that pretty much explains the entire movie, Veronika says "Where I come from we try to forget the past, but here, it's all you can talk about" - the movie seems steadfastly anchored in the past. It's not a bad thing, as it certainly brings the nostalgia factor up. Overall I enjoyed it, not as great as the first but a worthy continuation of the story. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 Apr 2017 19:24

The Fast and the Furious 8 - Typical summer popcorn flick. But going overboard with the family stuff and huge inconsistencies with previous films take rating down 7/10 (in time it may go even lower).
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 May 2017 23:09

Forgot to say I saw Fast and Furious 8 on release. Like the rest of the films, absolutely awful but I loved it. :lol:

Just back from Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 - if you loved the first, you'll love this. 4.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 07 May 2017 06:41

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - This lived up to every expectation I had. What a great way to start the summer movie season, the story was engaging, the action was incredible, and the laughs where plentiful... although I felt some of the humour felt a little forced. Overall it was such a wonderful, fun, and exciting ride that I can't wait to see again. I'M MARY POPPINS YA'LL! 9/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 May 2017 08:12

I wonder if I should watch it (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) in 3D or not. The only film I have watched in 3D in cinema was Kong: Skull Island and felt 3D was bit distracting at times.

Planing to go see something tomorrow. Sadly start time for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is too late so right now I got my eye on Unlocked (2017). Strange that Unlocked is opening in Europe in May but US is on September 1st.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 May 2017 10:47

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Strange that Unlocked is opening in Europe in May but US is on September 1st.

Used to be the other way round for everything, but at least big releases tend to be same day worldwide now! Only new film here this week is Sleepless which I think is already out on Blu-ray in the States. :x
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 May 2017 18:34

Unlocked (2017) Some parts were good, some not. Expectations were bit higher. Right now 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 15 May 2017 21:07

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - I think critics have been unfair with this one. What I didn't like was lack of blood in action scenes and Charlie Hunnam's very modern clothing in some scenes. 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 18 May 2017 00:28

Alien: Covenant - Well, I'm kind of unsure if I liked this or not. A little bit of a slow burner to start but the effects were excellent and I did like the story overall. Some of the cast were wooden though and dialogue a bit ropey. 3/5
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion