In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Davy_Lee » 24 Aug 2019 03:21

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - 7/10
Before seeing it, I had watched the trailer and thought it was going to be pretty enjoyable. My guess was right. The plot plays like a teenage Indiana Jones with just enough childish humor to retain its cartoonish nature. But unlike Indy Jones who ventures intentionally on a mission into the jungles, Dora, along with her classmates, is deceived into becoming an accidental adventurer in search of her missing parents deep in the Peruvian jungle. Isabela Moner gives the titular teenage adventurer a winning performance. Delicioso! :)
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade from DVD :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Aug 2019 03:48

Angel Has Fallen - 7/10
Newly appointed Secret Service director Mike Banning goes on the run after being framed for an assassination attempt on the president's life. It's an action-packed thriller that could be seen as a standalone. The movie actually ends perfectly with the handshaking scene, but the tagged-on comedy in the mid-end credits ruins the overall tone. Then there's also the obligatory and amateurish shaky cam shots in many of the fights. What were they thinking?

I skipped the first two but decided to see the third after watching the trailer. It's nothing new though, just another popcorn movie. If anyone's interested in seeing it, go for an Atmos-equipped movie theater (despite the film Dolby 7.1 sound mix) for amped-up sound during the action sequences. Recommended to old-school action movie junkies.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade from DVD :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 21 Sep 2019 05:34

Rambo: Last Blood - 5.5/10
After his old friend's granddaughter is kidnapped by a gang of ruthless Mexican drug cartel and human traffickers, Rambo dishes out his cruelest brand of justice to those responsible.

With its uninspired and derivative revenge plot, Rambo: Last Blood has strayed from the franchise theme on unsung war hero. In the third act, Rambo's outburst of PTSD is excessively exploited on screen that makes the iconic character look like a psychopathic avenger.

The franchise ended well with the 2008 sequel. This newest sequel is the least Rambo-esque of them all.

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 06 Oct 2019 07:49

Ad Astra (IMAX 2D) - 6.5/10
An astronaut is sent on a secret solo mission to Mars to help stop a series of catastrophic power surges, believed to be emanating from a space station of an ill-fated expedition to Neptune headed by the astronaut's estranged father many years before, which are threatening Earth and the solar system.

I like seeing cerebral space movies but didn't quite like the slow pacing of this two-hour psychological sci-fi drama. Partly recommended.

Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 13 Dec 2019 18:34

The Irishman - This was a film I was really looking forward to, I didn't mind the long run time, what I did mind was that it wasn't as satisfying as I'd anticipated it to be. There are some great Scorsese flourishes, it looked incredible. The production design was impeccable, I didn't mind the de-aging effects but the story didn't grip me totally. 6.5/10
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Previous

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion