Let's talk

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Let's talk

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Apr 2014 17:45

Okay, let's have a mini questionnaire for fun! Find out more about each other :)

1) Were you a big film fan before the advent of DVD/Blu-ray?

2) What is your earliest film memory?

3) What are your favourite cinemas you have been to and why?

4) What are your favourite films?

5) What are your favourite soundtracks?

6) Who are your favourite independent distributors?

7) Who are your favourite major distributors?

8) Best releases of all time on DVD?

9) Best releases of all time on Blu-ray?

10) Biggest annoyance when it comes to buying films?

11) Do you ever buy used?

12) What do you think of digital copies and streaming media?

13) If you could release any film, and give it a commentary, what would it be and who would be commentating?

14) Do you have a link to your collection?

15) What's more important for you? Transfer, audio, or extras?

16) What films haven't been released on disc yet (or not been given a decent release), that you really want?

17) Favourite actors/actresses?

18) Favourite directors?

19) What % of your collection is movies, and what % TV/documentary/special interest?

20) What are your favourite genres?

21) Least favourite genres?

22) Have you ever bought multiple copies of the same release purely for the different packaging?

23) What do your friends and family think of your collection?

24) Recommend us 3 lesser-known films you think deserve to be recognised!
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: Let's talk

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 08 Apr 2014 18:34

Were you a big film fan before the advent of DVD/Blu-ray?

No.

What's more important for you? Transfer, audio, or extras?

Transfer. And I prefer extras-free discs.

What is your earliest film memory?

Some ancient soviet movies.

What are your favourite cinemas you have been to and why?

I hate cinemas. Watching movies with so many strangers who behave like animals (farts, burbs and some other constant annoying noises).
I always watch alone. I simply won't watch a movie if anyone is around...

Who are your favourite major distributors?

DVD - Sony/Columbia (only if Superbit), Universal, Scanbox, SF Film and Deltamac, coz DTS audio is very common and video is usually great.
Blu - no difference.

Who are your favourite independent distributors?

Cam & Ronson, Edko and IVL.

Best releases of all time on DVD?

It's really difficult, but I'll try. Godzilla [1998] (UK Superbit), Black Hawk Down (UK Superbit), Cursed (IVL), Crazies [2009] (IVL), Wild Target (IVL), The Assassination of Richard Nixon (Nordisk Film), Pathology (Deltamac) are among of my favorites.

Biggest annoyance when it comes to buying films?

Smashed cases and scratched discs.

What do you think of digital copies and streaming media?

It's a big NO-NO from me. Why even bother with them?

What films haven't been released on disc yet (or not been given a decent release), that you really want?

I want Michael Mann's The Keep. Full 3 hrs cut in 4K master.

Favourite directors?

Michael Mann, Richard Donner, Martin Scorsese, Tony Scott

What are your favourite genres?

Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Trash

Least favourite genres?

Erotic. What's the point of the entire genre?

Have you ever bought multiple copies of the same release purely for the different packaging?

No, but I bought the same car model twice, but different color! I know, it's silly, but I wanted it so badly...

What do your friends and family think of your collection?

That I'm a moron. :lol: People rarely appreciate collectors at all.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Noor_Razzak » 08 Apr 2014 19:20

Yes, always been a huge movie fan, loved going to movies and pre-DVD owned a bunch of laserdiscs as well.

My dad taking me to see Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi, it was the first time I was taken to a movie theatre.

This is an easy one, The Embassy Theatre in Wellington, NZ. It's a grand beautiful theatre and has one of the best screens and sound systems (good enough for Peter Jackson to hold the premieres of his films there).

Randy Edelman and Trevor Jones' score for Michael Mann's "The Last of the Mohicans" is easily my favourite soundtrack. But I have others I love, anything by Ennio Morricone for example.

Are we talking theatrical or Home Video? Theatrical I'd go with Focus Features has always had a good output of films, as for Home Video I'd go with Anchor Bay, The Criterion Collection, Lionsgate, Magnolia/Magnet, Shout! Factory.

Warner Brothers and Disney always release quality consistently.

This is a tough one, I can't possibly list only one, but off the top of my head: Star Wars original trilogy, Indy trilogy, Godfather trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, Alien series, T2, Akira, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now: Dossier Edition all had terrific releases on DVD.

Blade Runner, Godfather Collection, James Bond complete collection, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien Anthology immediately come to mind, I'm sure there are others.

When studios break up extras as retailer exclusives.

Sometimes, ever since I've reviewed content I've bought very little since the PR companies/studios send me recent releases.

I rarely use them or activate the codes.

13) If you could release any film, and give it a commentary, what would it be and who would be commentating?

It would have to be the first Bond films that Criterion released on laserdisc, Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger all those years ago, with the now out of print and banned commentaries.

No

All of the above, I look for the perfect release in terms of all those things. But if I had to choose it would be A/V at the top of the list, I can let go extras in exchange for the best possible looking and sounding specs.

16) What films haven't been released on disc yet (or not been given a decent release), that you really want?

The Abyss, Punch-Drunk Love, The original (non-special editions) of Star Wars, Mulholland Drive, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Steve McQueen, enough said.

18) Favourite directors?

So many, I could go on for days.

19) What % of your collection is movies, and what % TV/documentary/special interest?

70% movies, 30% TV/documentary/special interest

Anything except what I've listed below.

Musicals, melodramatic or emotionally manipulated romance.

22) Have you ever bought multiple copies of the same release purely for the different packaging?

Yes, Sam Raimi's Evil Dead movies, T2 (with the metal cases) immediately come to mind, I'm sure there are others, I was on a steelbook bender at one stage and went after anything with incentives like bonus statues, figures, books etc.

My family thinks I'm crazy, but my friends are in awe.

Darkman, Things to do in Denver when you're dead and Jacob's Ladder.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Apr 2014 19:34

Yep. Ever since sneaking downstairs to watch Hammer films in the early hours on BBC as a child.

Watching Ghost Busters on VHS repeatedly, whilst playing with all the toys that came out. As soon as the film would finish, I would rewind it, and watch again.

The Tyneside in Newcastle still has a 30s tea room, leather seats and booze. Really good atmosphere.
Southbank BFI, London. Only been once, but loved it. If I lived anywhere near London, I would be there a lot.

My favourite films are not necessarily ones that I think are the best. Films I can watch repeatedly (and watch several times a year) are The Goonies, Ghost Busters, and The Blues Brothers.

Nothing different for me. I love the Jaws soundtrack, and even though I'm not a fan of the movies, the Star Wars track. My favourite theme tune though, is the standard Bond theme.

Right now, Arrow Films by far. Also a fan of the films Third Window have been releasing, and a long time fan of Bluer Underground. I also had a lot of respect for Tartan for releasing a wide array of films (even if they released them poorly). Anchor Bay from 1998-2003 were also superb. They've just become another faceless studio though. There are several distributors who have been around for ages that are consistent and reliable also, like Network.

I'm going to say Warner. Not always the best, but they put more effort into extras, and the transfers of their catalogue titles than others.

The Alien Quadrilogy set is up there, some of the older Anchor Bay discs too.

So far, Metropolis (Masters of Cinema), and Battle Royale (Arrow). Can't decide between those two.

Eco-cases, crappy menu systems (Universal), accidentally buying duplicates.

Yep. I have a list of sellers I trust, and I like to buy from places like the AVForums where I know people look after stuff. I would say I buy used 50% of the time (generally catalogue titles).

I give away my digital copies, but I do use Netflix, and do rent films via streaming reasonably often depending on price. I much prefer the actual discs though, and wouldn't buy a digital copy.

The Birds with a no-holds-barred commentary by Hitchcock and Hedren. That or any joint Herzog/Kinski commentary.

Nowhere near up to date - http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.as ... chardscott

Transfer first, audio second, extras third. All are important to me though.

Song of the South. I doubt it will ever happen.

Favourite of all time is Jackie Chan. Also dig Sammo Hung, William H. Macy, Samuel L. Jackson, Pam Grier, Christopher Lee, Marilyn Monroe.

18) Favourite directors?
Kevin Smith, Sammo Hung, Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronofsky, Wes Craven, Stanley Donen, Pedro Almodovar, Peter Jackson

Probably around an 80-90% movie, 10-20% 'other' split.

Comedy, horror, action.

Musical, western, sci-fi (though this isn't to say there aren't films I love in these genres)

Yep. Many copies of Reservoir Dogs for the different covers as an example.

They're not bothered. We don't really talk about it. My postman however - well, he probably hates it. Complains all the time, but is a good guy. :lol:

Attack the Gas Station, Black Mama White Mama, The Cooler.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 08 Apr 2014 20:17

Who are your favourite major distributors? I'm going to say Warner.

I hate their DVDs! Especially those from '97 to '02. Terrible A/V, no DTS.

Eco-cases

Those ones with holes? Then sign me up too!

Favourite of all time is Jackie Chan

:-D

Least favourite genres? Musical, western.

Yeah, forgot about them. I hate that crap too.

My postman however - well, he probably hates it. Complains all the time, but is a good guy.

Yeah, you made his life really difficult delivering all those discs. :lol:

Recommend us 3 lesser-known films you think deserve to be recognised! The Cooler.

The Cooler is still unavailable on Blu, right?

Best releases of all time on DVD? This is a tough one, I can't possibly list only one, but off the top of my head: Star Wars original trilogy, Godfather trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, Alien series, T2, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now: Dossier Edition all had terrific releases on DVD.

Nothing but disappointment. Especially in terms of Video.

Star Wars original trilogy - amazing Video, terrible audio (sync issues, bad recording and mixing). Just think of Ep 4...

Godfather trilogy

Video sucks. But it maybe due to the original cheap stock. Didn't watch on Blu. And should I even bother?

Back to the Future trilogy

Video is badly cropped (all parts). Plus there're some compression issues.

Alien series

Alien 4 is the only one here which is any good. The rest have to many problems... I'm not even talking about Aliens which is a total joke (dreadful Video and bad sound mixing).

T2

Extreme was great for it's time, yes, but other editions are crap. All of them.

Fight Club

Some copies suffer from mastering errors. Which means certain copies wont play on some DVD players.

Apocalypse Now: Dossier Edition

The transfer is badly cropped from 2.35 and exhibits minor compression artifacts. This movie should only be watched on Blu.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Apr 2014 20:45

1) Yes. I still have most of my VHS collection. Im thinking about buying one of those DVD/VHS combos to transfer some of the stuff on discs and get rid of that pile of s#!t.

2) I dont know. I think I watched my first films from Finnish TV. They had a great tradition on Saturday night showing westerns and Sunday noons they showed old Tarzan movies. First home video memories were watching old tapes of Police Academy 1-4 and the first Terminator. I think I have seen them 1000001 times :lol:

3) I have only been to local cinemas and now I dont go there at all. From my early teens to my late teens I went a lot, I would say as much as some go in a lifetime and then some. The last film I saw in cinemas was the first Lord Of The Rings. I would like to check out IMAX once and I think then it would be it with me and cinemas.

4) I have many favourites and for different reasons - Seven, Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Alien films, Lord Of The Ring films, Lethal Weapon films, Terminator films, Dollar Trilogy, Cidade de Deus and the list goes on and on and on ....

5) Im not really a soundtrack guy ... but I would say I like Dollar Trilogy's soundtrack.

6) I have never thought about it.

7) I dont know. Film Aficionado says my top 3 is 1.Universal Studios (172) 2.Warner Home Video (157) 3.20th Century Fox (143)

8 ) I think content wise Lord Of The Rings and Alien Quadrilogy are on top.

9) Most of my Bluray collection is in unwatched piles so cant yet answer that.

10) I hated those craptastic snapper cases of WB with passion. I hate eco cases - you want to be eco recycle some plastic and make a strong case for my DVD/Bluray ya damn dirty hippie :wink: :lol: I hate when different cuts of the movie gets separate releases. I want all cuts in one convenient package. I hate when distributors have been lazy with extra content - either they put on no extras or put on a little that are the lamest things on earth. And also when studios break up extras as retailer exclusives. I hate when a film has a good special/collectors edition DVD but Bluray release has no extras, no extended cut and AV is in bad quality.

11) Yes. For last two or so years I have bought a lot of used discs. But I only buy the ones that are very good or like new quality.

12) I dont use them but they dont bother me if they are there.

13) I dont know, need to think about it.

14) Yes. http://sculder.filmaf.com/owned

15) All are important but I would order them as Transfer, extras and audio.

16) Oh theres a lot. Some have crappy DVDs and some have good DVDs but for some unknown reason they release a really bad Bluray. Right now I mostly wait for the ones that have DVD release but no Bluray - True Lies (Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger), Breakdown (Starring Kurt Russell), Midnight Run (Starring Robert De Niro), Lake Placid (Starring Bridget Fonda),
The Secret of My Success (Starring Michael J. Fox), Stakeout (Starring Richard Dreyfuss), Nick Of Time (Starring Johnny Depp), The Chase (Starring Charlie Sheen) and the list goes on and on ...

17) Mel Gibson, Arnie, Sly, Clint Eastwood, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Bruce Willis, Eric Bana, Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau ...... Amy Ryan, Julia Roberts, Emma Stone, Shirley MacLaine ........

18)James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Scott brothers, David Fincher, Quentin Tarantino, Michael Mann, Peter Jackson ......

19) 90% movies and 10 % TV/documentary/special interest ... maybe

20) Action and comedys

21) Mind f*** films (I know its family friendly forum, but its technical term for those films :-D ) and musicals.

22) No never. I have only bought releases with different cuts of the film (Daredevil, The Punisher, Black Hawk Down) and then the upgrades to Bluray.

23) They like it and its easy to buy me birthday and Christmas gifts :lol:

24) Waiting... ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348333/combined ), The Ref ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110955/combined )and Confidence ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310910/combined )
Last edited by Ain_Uussaar on 11 Apr 2014 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 10 Apr 2014 01:14

Samuel_Scott wrote:1) Were you a big film fan before the advent of DVD/Blu-ray?

Yes, since earliest childhood - right through the VHS and LaserDisc eras.

Seeing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (the Special Edition) and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK at the cinema. My mother took me. I was a young 'un :D

Nothing fancy for me. Just the old Cannon/ABC cinema near where I used to live as a child. It closed down around 10 years ago, sadly :(

Urbexers have posted photographs of the interior, as it is, over the last few years. These pictures make me very sad, as I have some fond memories of this cinema.
http://www.oblivionstate.com/forum/show ... April-2013
http://www.urbexforums.com/showthread.p ... y-Feb-2013

Too many to list. Sam Fuller's SHOCK CORRIDOR and WHITE DOG, BLAST OF SILENCE, DAWN OF THE DEAD (Romero's, not the remake), Aldrich's ULZANA'S RAID and KISS ME DEADLY, Ken Russell's THE DEVILS, Joseph Losey's THE SERVANT, 3:10 TO YUMA (the original, not the remake), Peter Yates' THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID, would all be near the top, however. EDIT: and A BITTERSWEET LIFE. How could I forget that one?

Morricone's scores for THE BIG GUNDOWN and THE THING would be amongst my favourites here.

Eureka! (I remember some of their very early releases were quite dreadful, but they're top of the line nowadays), Network, Criterion, Redemption, Arrow, Second Sight, the BFI, Third Window, Artificial Eye, 88 Films, Second Run. Been buying a few of Well Go USA's discs lately, and they've been pretty good.

I always loved Tartan and was very sad to see them go. I also really miss Cine Asia/HKL.

Possibly Warner, for the same reasons you mention, Sam. Tbh, I tend to buy more discs from the indie labels - I like to support them and I find a lot of Hollywood films quite 'flat' nowadays.

Tough one. One of my favourites would probably be Anchor Bay's 'ultimate' edition of DAWN OF THE DEAD, which I was very pleased with at the time.

Again, this is a tough one, but I love Capelight's new releases of RE-ANIMATOR and BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR, Second Sight's SCANNERS and THE BROOD discs from last year, Warner's everything-but-the-kitchen sink BLADE RUNNER BD.

The missus, who doesn't 'get' my love of films at all and certainly doesn't sympathise with my collector's mindset.

Yes, quite often.

I like to have a 'physical' copy on my shelf. I'm old school like that :D

Sam Fuller - on any of his films. Sadly, he passed away just before the DVD era.

I'd also like the Cronenberg commentary for CRASH (from the Criterion LD) to make it to DVD/BD.

I've got an old DVDAf account that I haven't updated in years, so it's well out of date.

Transfer and original audio.

Aldrich's ULZANA'S RAID needs a decent release rather than the barebones affair it's been given so far. Larry Cohen's THE AMBULANCE would be welcome. Jose Ramon Larraz's WHIRLPOOL and SYMPTOMS would be most welcome, as well as any of Larraz's other films that aren't out on DVD. Any of Jess Franco's films that aren't already out on DVD. Johnnie To's THE MISSION needs a decent release too, as do quite a few vintage HK films. An uncut version of Ringo Lam's SCHOOL ON FIRE with new subs would be very welcome. EIGHT IRON MEN would be a nice film to see on DVD/BD too. Allen Baron's TERROR IN THE CITY too, please.

Lee Marvin, James Coburn, RIchard Widmark, Clint Eastwood, Paul Naschy
18) Favourite directors?

Fassbinder, Joseph Losey, Jess Franco, Sam Peckinpah, David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Sam Fuller, Robert Aldrich, Johnnie To, Pete Walker, Sergio Sollima, Mario Bava, Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike, Satyajit Ray

Prob 80/20 - films/TV.

The Western, horror films, film noir, crime

I don't really have one - there are no genres that I avoid, other than teen flicks.

Not solely for packaging.

It's too big and needs to be much smaller.

Edgar Ulmer's MURDER IS MY BEAT, Edward Dmytryk's THE SNIPER, Dmytrk's EIGHT IRON MEN, Allen Baron's BLAST OF SILENCE
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 10 Apr 2014 01:18

Samuel_Scott wrote:Attack the Gas Station

Haven't seen this in years, but it's a cracking film.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Apr 2014 01:31

Paul_Lewis wrote:

I keep hoping this and Peace Hotel will eventually get releases they deserve. I have a couple of Well Go releases I got cheap, and they seem like the most likely company to release them. If you haven't seen it, Jet Li in Ocean Heaven was a good film that certainly showed Jet Li in a different light. http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3058

I completely forgot about HKL and Cine Asia. I think I am only missing a couple of HKL releases, but they helped me discover films like Tiger on the Beat, and one of my favourite ever blind buys, Bullet in the Head (1990). There is a big hole in the UK for these sorts of titles now, but I guess it shows they aren't financially viable due to high licensing costs? Terracotta and Third Window are really the only Asian niche companies here now, but they are so niche, I don't think they would touch these titles.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 10 Apr 2014 01:43

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Paul_Lewis wrote:

I keep hoping this and Peace Hotel will eventually get releases they deserve. I have a couple of Well Go releases I got cheap, and they seem like the most likely company to release them. If you haven't seen it, Jet Li in Ocean Heaven was a good film that certainly showed Jet Li in a different light. http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3058

I completely forgot about HKL and Cine Asia. I think I am only missing a couple of HKL releases, but they helped me discover films like Tiger on the Beat, and one of my favourite ever blind buys, Bullet in the Head (1990). There is a big hole in the UK for these sorts of titles now, but I guess it shows they aren't financially viable due to high licensing costs? Terracotta and Third Window are really the only Asian niche companies here now, but they are so niche, I don't think they would touch these titles.

Yes, there's a vast well of 1970s/1980s/1990s HK films that I doubt anyone would bother releasing nowadays. I've been collecting the odd Fortune Star releases, of films like FINGERS ON TRIGGER and THE RED PANTHER, here and there, but they often leave a lot to be desired, and there are still quite a few vintage HK films that are only available on VCD. I love what Third Window and Terracotta are doing, but there's no one releasing the kinds of films that HKL and Cine Asia used to.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Apr 2014 01:49

A lot of these HD transfers of HK films are notoriously poor too which has stopped me importing them.

Well Go have just released Seven Warriors though, so there is hope for some of 80s stuff at least! I've seen this particular film, but certainly want to.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Alister_Manson » 10 Apr 2014 04:34

1) Were you a big film fan before the advent of DVD/Blu-ray? - Yes, but I never bothered buying films on VHS because they were always cropped.

2) What is your earliest film memory? - Seeing Snow White And The Seven Dwarves at the cinema, must have been about 3 or 4 years old

3) What are your favourite cinemas you have been to and why? - The ones here are honesty nothing to write home about...

4) What are your favourite films? - Terminator 2, Alien/Aliens, Apocalypse Now, The Shining, Lord Of The Rings trilogy, Star Wars OT, Evil Dead 1 and 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser.

5) What are your favourite soundtracks? - LOTR, pretty much any Tarantino film. Also a lot of Hans Zimmer's scores, especially The Rock and POTC.

6) Who are your favourite independent distributors? - Anchor Bay, Umbrella, Hopscotch

7) Who are your favourite major distributors? - Paramount, Sony

8.) Best releases of all time on DVD? - Terminator 2 SE, Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier

9) Best releases of all time on Blu-ray? Alien Quadrilogy, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Thor, The Expendables 2.

10) Biggest annoyance when it comes to buying films? - Aussie releases constantly lacking extras, having incorrect AR, and MPEG-2 Blu Ray encodes.

11) Do you ever buy used? - Yes

12) What do you think of digital copies and streaming media? - Useless and pointless.

13) If you could release any film, and give it a commentary, what would it be and who would be commentating? All Stanley Kubrick films with commentary by his ghost talking through a Ouija board and narrated by Morgan Freeman.

14) Do you have a link to your collection? - No, and I don't want to think about how long it would take to type it all.

15) What's more important for you? Transfer, audio, or extras? - Transfer and audio, extras are nice but 99% are only watchable once.

16) What films haven't been released on disc yet (or not been given a decent release), that you really want? - Bad Boys II, The Abyss, True Lies.

17) Favourite actors/actresses? - I don't really have any, they're merely vessels for characters IMO. Even the best actors have done movies that i'd rather kill myself than ever watch.

18) Favourite directors? - Kubrick, Tarantino, Cameron, Jackson and Spielberg. And Michael Bay purely for his ability to create onscreen destruction without equal.

19) What % of your collection is movies, and what % TV/documentary/special interest? - Probably 90% movies, 10% TV shows and music.

20) What are your favourite genres? - Action, horror, sci-fi, gritty drama/thrillers and comedy.

21) Least favourite genres? - Depressive "indie" drama, biopics and obvious Oscar-baiting films.

22) Have you ever bought multiple copies of the same release purely for the different packaging? - Not purely for packaging, more for improved extras/transfer/audio or something similar.

23) What do your friends and family think of your collection? - My parents think i'm insane, everyone else quite enjoys being able to borrow my discs ;)

24) Recommend us 3 lesser-known films you think deserve to be recognised! - Intermission, Brain Dead/Dead Alive, Buffalo Soldiers.
Alister_Manson

Postby Tim_Rogerson » 10 Apr 2014 09:24

Yes

Seeing Zulu and The Guns of Navarone on the big screen.

Scala Cinema Kings Cross - the greatest rep cinema ever bar none. I'll never forgive Stanley Kubrick for getting it shut down.

Odeon Marble Arch - used to have a huge curved screen which was fantastic.

The Good the Bad & the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, A Clockwork Orange, The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Blade Runner, Casablanca.

Most of Morricone's (G.B&U, OUTIW, Fistful of Dynamite, Big Gundown, Name is Nobody). Best non-Morricone is Poledouris' score for Conan the Barbarian (1981).

Blue Underground, Arrow, the one that releases the Hammer Blu Rays.

None really.

The best release I ever had was the US laserdisc release of extended version of Terminator 2 - sound quality in particular blew me away and I watched it twice back to back. Nothing has ver quite match that.

Dracula (1958), Shout at the Devil, Alien Box set.

Region encoding.

Yes - mostly.

Don't use although have watched films on You tube.

Most 1960s and 1970s british horror films and I would give the commentary with Jonathan Rigby acting as my 'bitch'.

No

Transfer and extras if different versions of film.

Not much to be honest.

Lee Marvin, Christopher Lee, Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Anita Ekberg, Chelo Alonso.

18) Favourite directors?

Sergio Leone, John Ford, John Frankenheimer (pre-1980), Sergio Corbucci.

About 90/10

Westerns (including spaghetti), Horror

Prententious European 'art' films

No - but I do have mutliple releases of the same film where alternate version, better transfers etc. I have 5 versions of Blood of the Vampire.

Not a lot.

Can't think of any off hand.
Tim_Rogerson

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 10 Apr 2014 10:22

A lot of these HD transfers of HK films are notoriously poor too which has stopped me importing them.

Tell me about it! Many movies looked and sounded great on DVD, esp. those from IVL/Mega Star or Fortune Star (those with holographic covers).
But all Blu I've seen were truly abysmal. I mean obviously those folks in HK never mastered in HD. They still use those derelict DVD masters from '03.

Michael Clayton (Deltamac), Bad Boys 2 (US Superbit) and Bank Job (Dutch Filmworks). All have amazing A/V for DVD format.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Alister_Manson » 10 Apr 2014 20:13

Jim, the Godfather BDs are actually quite a big improvement, as are the later DVD versions. The originals were made from old Laserdisc masters, but the 2007 restoration was done by digitally restoring the original film, using a similar process to the Star Wars DVDs. It's still grainy as hell but the colours are a huge improvement and the yellowish sepia hue that the old DVDs had is no longer present.
Alister_Manson

Postby Davy_Lee » 11 Apr 2014 11:25

- Quite so. I was introduced to films by my mom and aunt who often took me to the cinemas.

- My memory of this, unfortunately, has been lost.

- Since 1998, I haven't been to ANY cinema. But in my childhood and teen age, I was often taken to the cinemas at least once in a week either by my mom, my late uncle and sometimes even my neighbor! Most cinemas in the past - sometimes with a grand decor - could accommodate at least 500 to 700 audience, unlike most cineplex today. Those good old days of the early to mid-80s :cry:

Silent Films:
-The Golem (1920), Haxan, Nosferatu (1922), The Last Laugh (1924), Metropolis.

Films before the 70s:
-Freaks, Mad Love (1935),The Lodger (1944), Carnival of Souls, The Longest Day, The Dirty Dozen, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Rosemary's Baby,
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Wild Bunch.

Films of the 70s:
-Tora! Tora! Tora!, Companeros, Papillon, Dirty Harry, The Godfather, The Poseidon Adventure, The Yakuza, Star Wars, A Bridge Too Far, Operation Daybreak,
Murder on the Orient Express, Taxi Driver, Assault on Precinct 13, Two-minute Warning, The Omen, Black Sunday (1977), Alien.

Films of the 80s:
-The Empire Strikes Back, Flash Gordon, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Gandhi, The Elephant Man, The Killing Fields, Die Hard, Robocop, Wild Geese II,
First Blood, Rambo - First Blood Part II, Missing in Action II - The Beginning, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Day of the Dead, Fright Night, The Name of the Rose, Misery, Predator, The Untouchables, Black Rain, The Abyss, The Thing, The Fly, Videodrome.

Films of the 90s:
-Total Recall, Men in Black, Cape Fear, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Candyman, Sleepy Hollow, The Crying Freeman, On Deadly Ground, City of Joy, Forrest Gump, Q&A, Contact, Man on Fire, Leon the Professional, Ronin, Carlito's Way, Casino, Gladiator, Braveheart, The Crow, The Game, Crimson Tide, Con Air, The Replacement Killers, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, Executive Decision.

Films of the 2000s:
-Black Hawk Down, Cast Away, The Pursuit of Happyness, Kingdom of Heaven, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow,
Lord of War, The Bourne Supremacy, Hotel Rwanda, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Tron Legacy.

-Black Rain, Forrest Gump, The Pursuit of Happyness, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Air Force One, Con Air, The Rock, Crimson Tide, Dirty Harry, Predator, Companeros, The Untouchables, Rambo - First Blood Part II, Executive Decision, Speed, Pirates of the Caribbean, Malena, Tron Legacy.

-If you're referring to blu-rays or dvds, my favorites are: Shout! Factory, Arrow Video, Scorpion Releasing.

-Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony and Universal.

-The ones I've got: The Adventures of Indiana Jones (2003 edition), Star Wars Trilogy (2004 edition), Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set (Limited Tin Box, 2008 edition), Blade Runner: Four-disc Collector's Edition (2007 edition), Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997, and The Bronx Warriors Trilogy (Limited Tin Box, 2009).

-So far, none. However, if it's the PQ aspect: THE TERMINATOR is one clear winner. If AQ: THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS, and those with 7.1 DTS-HD MA sound.

-Censorship, especially by the BBFC (headbutt, horse falls?).

-Occasionally in reseller stores. Before buying used discs, I'll always check them physically. I have never bought used online.

-I haven't downloaded any because I don't get much pleasure from watching films through those media.

-Perhaps The Replacement Killers with Chow Yun-fat and Mira Sorvino commentating.

-I have one on Bluray.com but haven't linked it to Rewind.

- If I have to choose one, I'd choose transfer. I don't mind having a blu-ray with lossy audio or no extras as long as the picture is crisp.

-Obscure films of the 70s and 80s:
Weapons of Death a.k.a. Napoli Spara! (1977), High Risk, The Rise and Fall of Idi Amin (1981), 2020 Texas Gladiators, Raw Force, Target Eagle (1982),
The Final Executioner, Killing Machine a.k.a. Goma 2, A Man Called Rage, Tuareg the Desert Warrior (1984), The Annihilators, L.A. Streetfighters (1985),
The Devastator (1986).

-Forgotten films of the 80s and 90s:
Let's Get Harry (1986), Nowhere to Hide (1987, Amy Madigan), Dead Bang (1989), Extreme Justice (1993), The Immortals (1995, Eric Roberts),
The Ghost and the Darkness, The Substitute (1996), Turbulence (1997).

- Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Jack Palance, Lee Van Cleef, Henry Silva, Gene Hackman, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Denzel Washington, Will Smith,
Arnold Swarchzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson, Robert de Niro, Tom Hanks.

18) Favourite directors?
- Ridley Scott, Franklin J, Schaffner, John Frankenheimer, Richard Attenborough, Roland Joffe, Sidney Lumet, Brian de Palma, Martin Scorsese, Wolfgang Petersen, Richard Donner, Walter Hill, John Woo, J. Lee Thompson, Enzo G. Castellari, Anthony M. Dawson, Christophe Gans, Guillermo del Torro, John Carpenter,
David Cronenberg, Robert Zemeckis, Paul Greengrass, Joseph Kosinski.

-95% movies, the rest is WWII documentary, music video and concerts. No TV series at all.

- This is wide-ranging: action, adventure, thriller, sci-fi, horror, suspense, drama and combinations of the aforementioned.

-Animation, teen romance (the years are over :) ), period drama (Legends of the Fall, The Remains of the Day, The English Patient), comedy drama, romantic drama (but there are some I still like: One Fine Day, A Walk in the Clouds, While You Were Sleeping, Bed of Roses), family drama (Home Alone, Free Willy).

-Yes. I've got different versions of Rambo on dvd, multiple versions of Watchmen on dvd and blu-ray and few other titles.

-They think it's overloaded :lol:

-Those who like WWII films of the 70s should try OPERATION DAYBREAK, which is largely based on a true account of the Czech resistance. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched this several years ago on dvd. Get the Warner Archive Collection if you want to watch it!

-Those who like Italian action films of the 70s should try THE BOSS a.k.a. IL BOSS, especially if you're a fan of Henry Silva or THE BIG RACKET with Fabio Testi.

-Those who like British crime thriller of the 70s should try THE SQUEEZE (Stacy Keach, David Hemmings) and also SITTING TARGET (Oliver Reed).
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Steven_Storey » 04 Jul 2014 22:09

Yes, when I was old enough to go to the cinema alone I would visit the cinema as often as possible and even stayed in for more than one showing of a film. Also back in
the late 80's so long before the worldwide web, I had an australian VHS copy of Mad Max sent to me by a lady who worked for Roadshow Home Video so I could hear the
original aussie soundtrack

Probably watching Hammer films late on BBC 2

I have a bad phobia of the morons who go to cinemas now because many have little interest in the film itself and just sit there playing with their phones or chatting so I
don't have one anymore

Mad Max, Blade Runner, First Blood, The Empire Strikes Back, The Bounty, Witness, The Year of Living Dangerously and Gallipoli

The Empire Strikes Back, Witness, Lethal Weapon, Full Metal Jacket and First Blood

N/A

N/A

Fight Club and Seven

The Star Wars films

Censorship and getting less in extras than other countries

Yes

Hate them because I like the physical item

I have a link to some of the steelbooks that I own here https://www.flickr.com/photos/moldovia/ ... 003150638/

All three!

Kiss Mummy a film about a hungarian family who only communicate with each via leaving messages for each other on the fridge-freezer due to having busy lives

Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Brad Pitt, Edward Norton and Cate Blanchette

18) Favourite directors?
George Miller, George Lucas and David Fincher

95% films and the rest are tv and documentries

Action, science fiction and history

Rom-coms, rom-coms and rom-coms

Yes, for example Fight Club, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Full Metal Jacket and Blade Runner

They all think that I have a good collection

Kiss Mummy, Kontroll (2003) and The Last Wave
Steven_Storey

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion