Subtitles

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Subtitles

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Apr 2014 20:12

Do you watch movies that are in a language you are comfortable with, with subtitles?

A few people always give me funny looks when they come to the house and I pause an English film, and I have the subtitles on. Thinking about it, I have no idea why I do it, and it has become habit. :lol:

Anyone else do this?
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: Subtitles

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 11 Apr 2014 20:56

I do but mostly at night. And sometimes if the movie features dialogue with heavy accents/dialects (Scottish etc.)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Apr 2014 23:23

Samuel_Scott wrote:Do you watch movies that are in a language you are comfortable with, with subtitles?

A few people always give me funny looks when they come to the house and I pause an English film, and I have the subtitles on. Thinking about it, I have no idea why I do it, and it has become habit. :lol:

Anyone else do this?

Ahm, no, I never do that. What's the fun in that? :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Erik_Haraldsson » 12 Apr 2014 09:37

Samuel_Scott wrote:Do you watch movies that are in a language you are comfortable with, with subtitles?

Anyone else do this?

I watch them with English subtitles when available. Prefer English ones over Swedish on English-speaking films, because my mind automatically zone out the dialogue when I can just look at the Swedish text and that makes me miss the subtle things in the voice.
Erik_Haraldsson

Postby Paul_Lewis » 13 Apr 2014 07:38

Anyone else do this?

I often do this, especially when dialogue is buried in the sound mix or there are other things going on around the house that distract my hearing from the dialogue.

Perhaps oddly, I find that I also have to turn on subtitles when I'm watching a film whlst eating: I can't listen and eat at the same time, apparently :lol:
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 13 Apr 2014 10:44

Perhaps oddly, I find that I also have to turn on subtitles when I'm watching a film whlst eating: I can't listen and eat at the same time, apparently

Are you talking about watching movies in your native language? In that case, it's something new to me. :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion