Extras – who needs them?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Extras – who needs them?

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 26 May 2014 22:16

85% of purchasers don't bother to watch them, reports Odeon Entertainment's Managing Director, Alan Byron:
http://www.moviemail.com/blog/interview ... lan-Byron/
other than that, he gives details upcoming Blu-ray releases of Classic British horror titles, such as "The Night of the Big Heat" and "Curse of the Crimson Altar".
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Extras – who needs them?

Postby Alister_Manson » 27 May 2014 01:14

Sure, but those people probably don't even know the difference between Dolby and DTS. Extras aren't made for the short attention span of Joe Bloggs, they're there for the serious collectors and movie fanatics.
Alister_Manson

Postby Paul_Lewis » 27 May 2014 09:37

I think it would depend on the type of film too. Collectors of the types of titles that Odeon release would probably be more interested in extras than those who buy the latest Hollywood product.

The other issue here is the way in which the whole 'extras' thing has been devalued by the promotional fluff that has accompanied Hollywood product on DVD and Blu-ray. In the days of LaserDiscs, and the early years of DVD, extras were something special: a really good commentary, or a couple of indepth interviews. Now with most blockbuster releases, the volume of extras has become a selling point, regardless of the quality of them (often self-congratulatory PR pieces), or the quality of the film itself. I'll freely admit that with much Hollywood product, I skip the extras; but when dipping into releases of vintage films, I tend to watch the extras carefully (the BFI's recent release of AGUIRRE, WRATH OF GOD, or Arrow's new disc of SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS being good examples of the latter).
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 28 May 2014 00:07

Paul_Lewis wrote:I think it would depend on the type of film too. I'll freely admit that with much Hollywood product, I skip the extras; but when dipping into releases of vintage films, I tend to watch the extras carefully.

+1 :)

Just watched the whole bunch of extras on the Zombie Flesh Eaters (Arrow dvd) I bought a month ago and was more than satisfied. But, I have yet to watch the extras on the Wrath of the Titans blu-ray despite having seen the film two years ago.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 29 May 2014 15:56

Davy_Lee wrote:
Paul_Lewis wrote:I think it would depend on the type of film too. I'll freely admit that with much Hollywood product, I skip the extras; but when dipping into releases of vintage films, I tend to watch the extras carefully.

+1 :)

Just watched the whole bunch of extras on the Zombie Flesh Eaters (Arrow dvd) I bought a month ago and was more than satisfied. But, I have yet to watch the extras on the Wrath of the Titans blu-ray despite having seen the film two years ago.

Tends to be the case for myself also these days, though I'll still go for more extras where possible just in case!
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 31 May 2014 16:43

The type of film AND the quality of the extras.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 31 May 2014 17:18

Usually I don't care much for extras on the big studios' releases because they are more often than not just as said, promotional fluff, without anything beyond the superficial hype to offer for the film aficionados but with the smaller, more dedicated distributors like Arrow, Shout! Factory, Criterion, BFI,.. the extras on Blu/DVD do sometimes offer very interesting insights and bits of in-depth details worth looking into. Tho not all of their releases are equally good in the extras department even if the number of extras is often rather high. So, it depends on the typeof film and actual content of the extras.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 05 Jun 2014 12:17

To me (quality) extras are kinda "documenting" film history for the future generations. I mean when you're interviewing cast & crew, you are also documenting. Same thing w deleted scenes, audio commentaries, etc. To me it's simple as that. My kid can watch Eastwood speak long after Clint is gone. It's actually sad that some actors and directors (Nicholson, Allen, Connery, etc) won't really give interviews anymore. And we have very little about some people who are already gone (e.g. Bronson, etc). So yes, if we don't need them the future generations will.

Those PR-extras (created for more recent films) are probably slightly another matter, since most of the questions and answers are (mostly) aimed to create hype and PR for the film. Everything is great and everybody are nice to each other.
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 05 Jun 2014 12:30

Jari_Kovalainen wrote:Those PR-extras (created for more recent films) are probably slightly another matter, since most of the questions and answers are (mostly) aimed to create hype and PR for the film. Everything is great and everybody are nice to each other.

Those have a place, but a Criterion-style retrospective edition should consider them in the context of the film's PR rather than analysis/appreciation.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 09 Jun 2014 07:51

Eric_Cotenas wrote:Those have a place, but a Criterion-style retrospective edition should consider them in the context of the film's PR rather than analysis/appreciation.

Don't get me wrong. If there are these PR featurettes etc, they should also be included to the disc. I mean why not. My point was that not many companies create "The Hobbit/Prometheus" type of extras (which are just great!) to these more recent releases. Often they're just quick PR featurettes and interviews.

Since I work on TV, I have heard many stories from the journalists who have done interviews with the bigger stars (actors, directors etc). The interview is something like 5-8 minutes with each journalist, they give these similar answers to everybody and then the press is over. PR featurettes for many newer films are probably done in a very similar way. They just want to have SOMETHING for the disc.

But sure, "something" is better than nothing at all. :)
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion