SD video shot movies available on Blu-ray?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

SD video shot movies available on Blu-ray?

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 08:40

The Man from Earth (2007)

When I submitted my US DVD comparison I mentioned that this film was shot on standard definition videotape, using two Panasonic AG-DVX100A cameras. The BD has no more resolution than the DVD and no technical jiggery-pokery has been carried out to somehow 'improve' the image: this is a low budget film and it's the exact same transfer.
I also said that I previously owned the BD but sold it, as even when viewing on my 106" screen could see no difference whatsoever. DVDBeaver has plenty of screenshots for you to do your own comparison.

Give that the BD has the same lossy 5.1 audio as the DVD but is missing the DVD's 2.0 track and extras, surely this is important info for a potential purchaser and worth posting in the BD's listing? If I had known all this I wouldn't have wasted my time and money buying the BD in the first place.

Before you say it, I know this site generally refrains from commenting on the image quality of comparative releases, but how many other SD video-shot feature films on standalone BDs are listed here? Any at all?
Brent_Reid

Re: Corrections Thread

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 11:38

Brent_Reid wrote:The Man from Earth (2007)....
Give that the BD has the same lossy 5.1 audio as the DVD but is missing the DVD's 2.0 track and extras, surely this is important info for a potential purchaser and worth posting in the BD's listing? If I had known all this I wouldn't have wasted my time and money buying the BD in the first place.

Just updated with Note none of the extras from the DVD releases have been carried over. with a link.

Before you say it, I know this site generally refrains from commenting on the image quality of comparative releases, but how many other SD video-shot feature films on standalone BDs are listed here? Any at all?

28 Days Later was shot on standard definition PAL video, for example, slowed down to 24fps for 1080p.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 12:59

Aha - I forgot about 28 Days Later! Are there any more though? I'm genuinely interested. I know there are a handful of SD-shot music concerts that have been re-released on BD with lossless audio, but can't think of any other feature films...
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 13:10

Brent_Reid wrote:Aha - I forgot about 28 Days Later! Are there any more though? I'm genuinely interested. I know there are a handful of SD-shot music concerts that have been re-released on BD with lossless audio, but can't think of any other feature films...

"No"
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 13:58

Interesting: had never heard about that one. There's a fascinating article here about how they sourced and used vintage cameras for the production:

I know there are lots of films that use a mixture of SD tape and 8 or 16mm film, especially those in the found footage genre, like Blair Witch. I'd like to know if there are any more shot solely on SD tape...
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 14:07

"Adjust Your Tracking" is a fascinating documentary about forgotten 80's low budget films shot on videotape and about videotape collectors. The entire movie looks like it was shot on VHS with tracking errors, bad color, but it's revealed in the featurettes that it was shot on HD video and degraded in post. They also talk about a possible Blu-ray release of the movie but it never panned out, only coming out on DVD and limited edition VHS.

This all could be another thread rather than "corrections"....
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 14:28

Yup, you're right: I won't take this thread OT any more. I haven't seen it yet but Adjust... is on my wants list, alongside Rewind This! and a couple of other similar ones. They're documentaries though and as you say, were degraded after the fact. There must be hundreds of films and documentaries like that.

I'm specifically referring to feature films shot natively in SD and later issued as the main attraction on a BD.
Brent_Reid

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 Mar 2016 15:34

Brent_Reid wrote:I'd like to know if there are any more shot solely on SD tape...

IIRC a couple of the recent Slasher // Video releases were.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: SD video shot movies available on Blu-ray?

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Mar 2016 02:37

Yes, the Slasher Video titles. I couldn't remember the label's name.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 15 Mar 2016 05:33

Didn't Steven Soderbergh shoot on the Canon XL1? That was an SD digital camera. He shot Full Frontal using that camera.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 15 Mar 2016 15:15

Hi Noor, so did Soderbergh shoot any films solely in SD that are now on BD? We've IDed three so far - I'd be very surprised if we find a fourth or fifth!

I appreciate whichever mod split this off into a separate thread, although post number two belongs back in the thread it was lifted from...
Brent_Reid

Postby Noor_Razzak » 15 Mar 2016 17:10

Brent_Reid wrote:Hi Noor, so did Soderbergh shoot any films solely in SD that are now on BD? We've IDed three so far - I'd be very surprised if we find a fourth or fifth!

As far as I know Full Frontal is the only film Soderbergh shot in SD, his other films which where shot on a digital format where in HD. Full Frontal is available on Blu:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Full-Fron ... 54/#Review
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 18 Mar 2016 05:50

Brent_Reid wrote:Hi Noor, so did Soderbergh shoot any films solely in SD that are now on BD? We've IDed three so far - I'd be very surprised if we find a fourth or fifth!

I appreciate whichever mod split this off into a separate thread, although post number two belongs back in the thread it was lifted from...

That was me. Deleted the aforementioned post (which was already updated).
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby LV426 » 23 Mar 2016 08:36

Not sure it qualifies as a "movie" but Dire Straits Alchemy Live otherwise fits this category - shot on SD video and available, upscaled, on BD.
The reason for buying this on BD is, I gather, the excellent work done on the soundtrack. I have yet to experience it myself.
LV426

Postby Markus_Lang » 08 Apr 2016 16:25

Brent_Reid wrote:I'm specifically referring to feature films shot natively in SD and later issued as the main attraction on a BD.
I cannot find out if Villmark was actually shot on SD digital video back in 2003. IMDb claims “35 mm” but it can be incorrect.

In 2007, I made a couple of screenshots from the Scandinavian DVD:

http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forum/media/6011/full
http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forum/media/6012/full

The Scandinavian Blu-ray was released by Warner in 2015, and it does look as if it was entirely made from a SD video master — at least it hurts my eyes:

This is a pity, as the movie has its moments. The sequel Villmark 2 (which I have as well on BD) seems a proper HD release.
Last edited by Markus_Lang on 07 Oct 2016 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Markus_Lang

Postby Brent_Reid » 10 Apr 2016 11:08

Hmm... Interesting looking film. It's a shame there's no affordable English-subbed DVD available. Doesn't the audio commentary say anything about its production methods?
Brent_Reid

Postby Markus_Lang » 10 Apr 2016 16:11

I only borrowed the 2003 Scandinavian DVD (Scanbox) from the library back in 2007. It is indeed sold out nowadays. Unfortunately my Norwegian is so weak that I cannot follow a technical discussion without subtitles.

The new Warner release of 2015 is also available on DVD.
Markus_Lang

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion