Rewind Interview with Cinemassacre (Angry Video Game Nerd)

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Rewind Interview with Cinemassacre (Angry Video Game Nerd)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 01 Jun 2016 11:10

It was an pleasure and a lot of fun to interview the Cinemassacre team of James Rolfe, Mike Matei, and Bootsy, especially being both a fan of video games and films.

Interview is here or available from the top of the main page.

James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Rewind Interview with Cinemassacre (Angry Video Game Ner

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Jun 2016 11:20

An excellent interview James.

Nice one! 8)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Luke_Jones » 02 Jun 2016 10:37

Good stuff, I like watching the Nerd shows. Unbelievable how much he owns, must have a big house. Do they know and use this site?
Luke_Jones

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 03 Jun 2016 09:32

Yes they know this site. Or else they would not have approved of the interview!
The basement of the house is half the game room as seen in his gaming videos and the other half recently converted to the "video store".
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 03 Jun 2016 23:04

From a reader on the Cinemassacre site:
This is a wonderful interview, James and co. were spot on, but the know-it-all interviewer got really aggravating. I read the interview to hear more from the Cinemassacre gang,, not to hear this dude spit out a five corrective factoids every time you guys brought up a film or video game. He’s there to ask questions. I know he was trying to be a buddy, but damn, dude sounded like a WikiBot.

That's me, the WikiBot!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Jun 2016 00:33

:lol:

You'll never please everyone.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 04 Jun 2016 06:23

Yeah... but I do admit going off on tangents and speaking too much on topics such as that. As stated in the interview that when I was DJing on the radio in college, I would really give detailed information about artists and albums because that's just what I do in real life. I was told to "shut up" a lot of times by callers and friends - as they wanted to hear the music and not me! I did learn to cut down on talk-time by using a timer...

At least there are some positive comments here and there. The guys at Cinemassacre were as friendly and cooperative with the interview, and they had final approval with everything - editing the content, the photos used, etc and they were quite hands off. Only a few minor changes were requested by them (mostly updating information and reducing minor redundancy).

In addition, I did actually give them a few video games from Japan (NO, not a bribe!) that I hope they would use in future videos. When it happens, I will be sure to link it here!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ulrich_Christensen » 13 Jun 2016 16:42

I once heard the adage that the role of the interviewer is to "not be the most interesting person in the room".
I think it is the difference between an interview and a conversation.
However, a lot of interviews can be boring if the interviewer questions are the same standard one-liners, so I guess it is a balance.
Ulrich_Christensen
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 16 Jun 2016 23:41

Someone like Charlie Rose is a good example - his questions are so broad and non-specific ("Tell us who you are.", etc). It's good for listeners who have no idea who the interviewed participant is. It gives more freedom for the interviewed subject but for me it always felt Rose was not familiar with many of the people he was interviewing.

I did think of titling this is as "A Conversation with Cinemassacre..." Rather than "interview" to make it a bit clearer. I didn't want it to be a series of random questions but have the conversation lead from one topic to the next more smoothly. James from Cinemassacre was for it and liked the format, so that's how it went! I'm still happy how it went but I did take note that I should shut up once in a while.

The upcoming interview with filmmaker Mark Cousins I did, Coming tomorrow!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion