German comparison site?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

German comparison site?

Postby Todd_Oberly » 08 Jun 2017 23:20

Aside from DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com, are there any other sites that do what DVDCompare does to any great extent? I thought there was a site in Germany or thereabouts, but can't seem to find it. http://www.dvd-basen.dk seemed promising, but that's just a catalog of outside reviews. Thanks!
Todd_Oberly

Re: German comparison site?

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 09 Jun 2017 13:26

Ofdb.de , by chance?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jun 2017 13:43

The main ones are Beaver and caps-a-holic who of course have the same goal as us (helping consumers compare releases) but in a different way, hence why we link to them as we think it is beneficial to our users to check out visual comparisons as well as 'paper specs' comparisons. Both have their positives and negatives of course. The amount of work in getting screengrabs etc means Beaver and caps-a-holic have to spend a lot more time per comparison and are limited to the discs they have in their possession. We can of course add a lot more releases in a quicker time scale, but rely on people submitting accurate specs and we are essentially 'paper based' going by guidelines we have to select a 'winner', but unable to confirm for people which release might have the better transfer etc.

I always tell people to use a mix of ourselves, Beaver, and caps-a-holic, and look at reviews from Basen to make sure they are buying what they are truly looking for. I think all four sites should be immensely proud, not only of what they have achieved, but how we are all going stronger than ever! For example, our visitor numbers are up between 15-25% each month on previous years despite us being 18 years old! :lol:

As James said though, ofdb is a great resource for German discs! Also movie-censorship is a great source for censorship (and melonfarmers).
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Brent_Reid » 09 Jun 2017 18:21

There used to be a great German screenshot comparison site I used all the while but it went kaput a few years ago and the Wayback Machine archived versions didn't save its images. :(
The ones already mentioned are undoubtedly the best, but there are some other useful 'little' guys around, like these two:
Blu-ray.com is very good for screenshots and specs, but if a disc hasn't been reviewed those are either lacking or just copied from press releases.

You're right, Sam: all should be very proud; here's to the next 18 years! :D
Brent_Reid

Postby Todd_Oberly » 10 Jun 2017 00:58

Thanks, all. I think ofdb.de is the one. It first struck me as another IMDB site, but then I noticed the links under "Versions". I'll check out the other sites, too.
Todd_Oberly

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 23 Jan 2019 21:04

https://bluray-disc.de/ has also an extensive database. Not as complete as ofdb.de by far, but in some occasions really helpful. Search field "Film suchen" right hand corner on the website.
Christian_Bütikofer

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion