Zone C-locked blu-rays?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Zone C-locked blu-rays?

Postby Bruce_Hebblewhite » 01 Mar 2018 11:10

I have a Panasonic blu-ray player which is ICOS chip modified to be switchable between Zones A, B and C and more recently bought a Sony machine which was also ICOS chip modified but came with instructions for switching between Zones A and B only. I have confirmed that there is no Zone C setting on it. This set me wondering whether there are,in fact, any Zone C-locked blu-rays or whether they all tend to be coded for Zones A and B as well as C. I have never come across a Zone C-locked blu-ray. Does anybody know whether they exist?
Bruce_Hebblewhite

Re: Zone C-locked blu-rays?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Mar 2018 11:56

They certainly exist, but they tend to come from countries with a poor home media economy because of such bad piracy. Indian Blu-rays just tend to be region free as the big companies tend to own worldwide rights (Eros and Tip Top both release the identical discs in the UK too - with their DVDs often NTSC even in the UK). I've certainly come across to region locked Russian releases though.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 02 Mar 2018 08:13

The Mainland China “Logan” Blu-ray is region C locked. There’s just one of few examples. Rare but they are around.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Esa_Raita » 02 Mar 2018 21:48

I've been wondering about this, so A+B might not automatically mean A+B+C. It's good to be precise with details like this. Thanks for the info!
Esa_Raita

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 03 Mar 2018 22:19

Most Russian discs are region ALL or B+C. Not all but a lot of the same discs are distributed in Baltic states also.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 03 Mar 2018 23:55

Esa_Raita wrote:I've been wondering about this, so A+B might not automatically mean A+B+C. It's good to be precise with details like this. Thanks for the info!

Exactly. I have quite a few A+B only discs, some A+C only discs, etc. Fox especially likes to play around like that.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion