Star Trek - Deep Space Nine Series

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Star Trek - Deep Space Nine Series

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 13 Dec 2017 18:44

I suspect that the whole listing for DS9 is partially wrong concerning the extras.

In the US there exists a Best Buy edition with several extras only available in this release. However, the Best Buy exclusives for the US market are included in the European editions, according to this site (which seems to be very well informed): http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/02/first- ... ollection/. For Season 2, German edition, I could confirm it myself: Quark's Story (11:30 minutes long) is included. And yes, the hidden featurette is also there.

If the normal US edition really has not all the extras available, then the mention of the hidden extras also is wrong for Season 2.

I didn't check out Seasons 1, 3-7 since I don't have them (yet). Should be mentioned since CBS reissued the series recently (with all the Best Buy extras excluded again in the US...)
Christian_Bütikofer

Re: Star Trek - Deep Space Nine Series

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Jan 2018 10:49

I have zero knowledge of Star Trek or its DVDs. Any team member that does that would be better enabled to tackle this one?
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 13 Jan 2018 17:19

If the normal US edition really has not all the extras available, then the mention of the hidden extras also is wrong for Season 2.

It seems clear from the trekcore website that the Best Buy Extras are not on either standard US release. But, maybe I'm missing something, what has that got to do with the hidden extras? The Best Buy ones are not part of the hidden Season 2 ones...
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 14 Jan 2018 01:28

Are you sure the hidden extra is there in the normal US edition? If "Quark's Story" is not on the normal release, couldn't it be that the hidden item

6. Actor Armin Shimmerman talks about Wallace Shawn's portrayal of Grand Nagus Zek (3:23)
Highlight 'Quark's Story' and press left. A part of the station will illuminate. Press 'enter'.

is not there either? Or if it's there shouldn't the description be different?
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 14 Jan 2018 22:25

O.K. I see what you are getting at. However, the "visible" extras and "hidden" extras are not specifically tied, at least on the UK disc. You can move around highlighting parts of the space station "at random" - you don't know what is where, unless you read the Rewind entry! Left arrow from "Quark's Story" will get you to the interview, but left arrow from "Crew Dossier: Jadzia Dax" will also get you there. So, removal of "Quark's Story" does not make the interview inaccessible or imply it was ported to the Best Buy Bonus Disc as well. Ultimately, it would need the US disc examined to be sure. But my guess is that the Interview is still there as it is specifically tied to the space station set-up. It is likely it would be visible on the Best Buy disc since it does not have the space station set-up.

So, in summary, we need to add a Best Buy entry with the Bonus Disc and amend the existing entry to remove "Quark's Story" and change the instructions, as above. Maybe also note that the Interview is TBC, and that Quark's Story is only found on the Best Buy disc (in the US). Also, maybe should note in the overall that the hidden files can be accessed from multiple directions, we just list one way.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 14 Jan 2018 23:03

O.K. I have had a go at correcting Season 2. When we agree on the changes then I can check the other seasons...
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Comparison Corrections