Mr Bean DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Mr Bean DONE

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Aug 2017 09:36

Submitted by Paul Borstander:
Here's some new information for: Mr. Bean: The Complete Series (TV) (1990-1995) http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3638

R2 Holland - Universal Pictures: The Mr. Bean Collection: Volumes 1-3
and
R4 Australia - Universal Pictures: 10th Anniversary Collection

-- 1) These seem to be the exact same releases content wise. Just a re-release, "10th Anniversary Collection" seems to be from about 2000-2004, and redesigned package "The Mr. Bean Collection: Volumes 1-3" from 2008/2009. Both releases seem to have at least R2 Holland (or rather "Europe", with minor cover language/design edits) and R4 Australia releases.
-- 2) And here it gets trickier, I have Finnish R2/4 "10 Years" (covers in Finnish) releases (3 different DVD cases, no box in Finland AFAIK) which doesn't have the "Best Bits" Montage (52:38)" cut, it is the full length documentary running at 71:58 length. 2 sec. "shorter" than what Wikipedia claims is the full running time, so basically it's the full documentary.
-- 3) The "The Story of Bean documentary (48:55)" in Finnish R2/4 "10 Years" is the same cut as in the other releases.
-- 4) The only other differences between my Finnish release and the other releases seem to be: Finnish release doesn't have the "Mr. Bean: The Animated Series trailers" on the discs, and that it has fewer subtitles available (English/German/Dutch/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish/Finnish).
-- 5) I don't have proof, but considering that all these 3 releases are released about at the same time with almost identical content (the same "out-of-order" placing of the episodes is very telling), I suspect that the "Holland/Australia" releases might too have full length documentary on them.

R2 Scandinavia - Universal Pictures: Bean's Brilliant Boxset, 20th Anniversary Edition

-- 1) This is not just a Scandinavian edition, it's been sold in UK, and everywhere else too, even in R4 Australia (All the boxsets seem to have R2/R4 listed), that's why it has so many subtitles, more like "R2/R4 everywhere" :).
-- 2) This is a "Digitally Remastered 20th Anniversary Edition", which should count on which release the comparison suggests to buy. Note that the 2 separate sketches (Library & Bus Stop) are not remastered.
-- 3) I can confirm that the "Best Bits" Montage (52:38)" is correctly listed on this release, i.e. it is the cut version.

Comparison "verdict": "Between the R2/4 releases. It has uncut episodes, the documentary is longer and it has a "Best Bits" montage (which contains unique new footage). The R1 does offer some unique extras but the episodes are edited versions."

-- This is wrong information on many accounts. There's 2 very different R2 releases, one "10th Anniversary/The Mr. Bean Collection: Volumes 1-3", and other remastered "Bean's Brilliant Boxset, 20th Anniversary" (Which is actually R2/R4). Like I wrote earlier, at least some, if not all, of the "10th Anniversary" releases have the uncut documentary, while the "20th Anniversary" release has it cut (and it's not just old footage that is cut, the "new sketch" of "Bean accidentally pulling his television aerial cable" is also cut).

CUTS:
R1 Mr Bean: The Whole Bean America- A&E Home Video - Yes - Some edits have been made for timing reasons (including the 'guess the turkey weight' scene in 'Merry Christmas Mr Bean'). The majority of the episodes are the Rowan Atkinson approved versions as originally shown in the UK which means that, for example, an extra scene shown during the US HBO transmission of 'Do It Yourself Mr Bean' (involving a fight over the purchase of the armchair) is also missing. Note that the scene was never in the original UK version.

-- The "The Story of Mr. Bean documentary (39:56)" is even more cut than in UK/other releases.

R2 The Mr. Bean Collection: Volumes 1-3 Holland- Universal Pictures - No cuts as such, but "The Story of Bean" documentary has a swear word censored.

-- _Might_ have full "Best Bits Montage". "The Story of Bean documentary" is cut.

R2 Bean's Brilliant Boxset, 20th Anniversary Edition Scandinavia- Universal Pictures - No cuts as such, but "The Story of Bean" documentary has a swear word censored.

-- "Best Bits Montage" is cut. "The Story of Bean documentary" is cut.

R4 10th Anniversary Collection Australia- Universal Pictures - No cuts as such, but "The Story of Bean" documentary has a swear word censored.

-- _Might_ have full "Best Bits Montage". "The Story of Bean documentary" is cut.

I don't have any information about the R5 Russian release.

Full information of:

R2/4 Finnish - Universal
"10 Years"
Separate (no boxset as far as I know) releases/volumes I, II, III:

Extras:
VOLUME I
Episodes:
- 1. "Mr. Bean" (24:24)
- 13. "Good Night Mr. Bean" (23:58)
- 10. "Mind the Baby Mr. Bean" (24:15)
- 3. "The Curse of Mr. Bean" (24:30)
"Best Bits" Montage (71:58)

VOLUME II
Episodes:
- 4. "Mr. Bean Goes to Town" (23:57)
- 6. "Mr. Bean Rides Again" (23:32)
- 8. "Mr. Bean in Room 426" (24:34)
- 9. "Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean" (24:50)
- 14. "Hair by Mr. Bean of London" (26:14)
"The Story of Bean" documentary (48:55)

VOLUME III
Episodes:
- 2. "The Return of Mr. Bean" (24:57)
- 11. "Back to School Mr. Bean" (24:18)
- 12. "Tea Off, Mr. Bean" (24:50)
- 7. "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean" (26:27)
- 5. "The Trouble with Mr. Bean" (24:29)
Sketches:
- "The Library" (9:13)
- "The Bus Stop" (5:36)

Subtitles: English HoH, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Picture Format: Non-Anamorphic
TV System: PAL
Soundtrack(s): English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Case type: Keep case
Notes: All extras are in English with optional subtitles in English HoH, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish

Some sources:

WIKIPEDIA: The documentary "The Story of Mr. Bean" is edited on both the UK and USA DVD sets: It was originally 52 minutes when broadcast on TV. However, it is 48 minutes on the UK DVD while only 40 on the American DVD. Most notably, in the UK version, the section detailing "The Tall Guy" has humorous clips from the film removed. The American DVD features the same edits as the British DVD but is also missing comments by Burt Reynolds on the set of Bean, comments by Jeff Goldblum, some clips from the show Mr. Bean and many others.

WIKIPEDIA: "The Best Bits of Mr. Bean": When originally released on VHS it was 72 minutes 00 seconds long, but many of the later releases had the episode cut down to 52 minutes 39 seconds as 'The Best of Mr Bean', leaving out Mr Bean helping a busker in The Return of Mr. Bean, Bean trying to stay awake in Church and Bean sitting in an exam from Mr. Bean, and the newly released footage of Bean accidentally pulling his television aerial cable and lifting the television up from the floor below (and then letting go and smashing it).
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: Mr Bean

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 13 Aug 2017 14:38

Sorry to hop in to someone elses correction notes thing - but apart from "The Story of Mr. Bean" documentary, I wonder if anyone happens to know if any UK DVD releases have scenes cut from the main episodes? Like the 'guess the turkey weight' scene etc. And while on the subject of UK DVD releases, there don't seem to be any UK DVD comparisons currently listed of Mr-Bean TV Series - could any of these be added also?
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 Aug 2017 13:29

So we did used to have basic specs for the UK releases way back when, but I removed them as they were incomplete and from a time when we were scrutinising submissions nowhere near to the effort we do now (way way way back!). Hopefully someone who owns it can post some info.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 26 Aug 2017 13:28

Some infos about the animated series and the TV series - German editions:

Title: Mr. Bean: The Animated Series - Season 1
Region: R2, R4, R5
Releasing Studio: Universal Pictures
Case Type: Keep Cases
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Anamorphic?: Yes
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, German Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles (optional): Spanish (Castilian)
Cuts: None - 534:28
Commentaries: -
Extras:

DISC ONE ("Play All" option) (90:49)

- In the Wild (11:13)
- Missing Teddy (11:29)
- No Parking (11:13)
- Bean's Bounty (11:29)
- The Fly (11:29)
- Artful Bean (11:13)
- Mime Games (11:13)
- Spring Clean (11:29)

The making of Mr. Bean the animated series (English, no subtitles) (19:54)

DISC TWO ("Play All" option) (91:53)

- No Pets (11:29)
- Ray of Sunshine (11:29)
- Birthday Bear (11:29)
- The Mole (11:29)
- Roadworks (11:29)
- The Sofa (11:29)
- Treasure! (11:29)
- Homeless (11:29)

DISC THREE ("Play All" option) (89:36)

- Camping (11:04)
- Chocks Away (11:19)
- Royal Bean (11:04)
- Young Bean (11:19)
- In the Pink (11:04)
- Dinner for Two (11:19)
- The Ball (11:04)
- Toothache (11:19)

DISC FOUR ("Play All" option) (81:34)

- Neighbourly Bean (11:52)
- Nurse! (11:19)
- Dead Cat (12:02)
- Super Trolley (11:19)
- Magpie (11:52)
- Cat-sitting (11:19)
- The Bottle (11:52)

Mr. Bean - The Movie featurette/promo (English, no subtitles) (3:46)

DISC FIVE ("Play All" option) (89:47)

- Big TV (11:14)
- Inventor (11:13)
- Car Trouble (11:13)
- Restaurant (11:13)
- Wanted (11:13)
- Gadget Kid (11:13)
- The Visitor (11:13)
- Keyboard Capers (11:13)

DISC SIX ("Play All" option) (90:49)

- A Running Battle (11:14)
- Egg and Bean (11:29)
- Hopping Mad! (11:14)
- A Grand Invitation (11:29)
- A Royal Makeover (11:13)
- SuperMarrow (11:29)
- Bean in Love (11:14)
- Double Trouble (11:29)

Notes: At the beginning of each disc, you have to choose between Danish, English, Finnish, Spanish (Castilian), German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish - has no real effect for the menu or available languages/subtitles, only copyright notices. Episodes are not in broadcasting order (compared with IMDB) and are mixed from different seasons (so it's not really "Season 1" as declared from Universal). Each of the six discs are in a keep case which are in a cardboard box.
Easter Eggs: -
Amazon ASIN: B010UGZHSI
Source: Own it.

Mr. Bean: The Complete Series

Title: Mr. Bean: The Complete Series
Region: R2, R4, R5
Anamorphic?: No
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles (optional): Arabic, Castilian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, Finnish, German, Greek, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish
Cuts: None
Extras:

DISC ONE ("Play All" option)

- Mr. Bean (25:10)
- The Return of Mr. Bean (25:24)
- The Curse of Mr. Bean (24:45)
- Mr. Bean Goes to Town (24:11)
- The Trouble with Mr. Bean (24:42)

DISC TWO ("Play All" option)

- Mr. Bean Rides Again (23:46)
- Merry Christmas Mr. Bean (25:35)
- Mr. Bean in Room 426 (24:47)
- Mind the Baby, Mr. Bean (24:31)
- Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean (25:01)

DISC THREE ("Play All" option)

- Back to School Mr. Bean (24:31)
- Tee Off, Mr. Bean (25:04)
- Goodnight Mr. Bean (24:07)
- Hair by Mr. Bean of London (26:19)
- The Library (9:29)
- The Bus Stop (5:45)

Notes: Region 5 is not declared. At the beginning, you have to choose the menu's language (all subtitle languages available). On the cover of the three discs it says "digitally remastered". Disc 1 and 2 lose the extras Best Bits and Story of Bean.
Amazon ASIN: B013J9X9WY (Limited Edition with a teddy bear, own this one), B00GEKOFEW, B003UYPFV2 (older edition)

Mr. Bean: Volume 2

Title: Mr. Bean 2
Region: R2, R4
Anamorphic?: No
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles (optional): Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Swedish
Cuts: Yes - The Story of Mr. Bean (48:55)
Extras: ("Play All" option)

- Mr. Bean Goes to Town (23:57)
- Mr. Bean Rides Again (23:32)
- Merry Christmas Mr. Bean (25:35)
- Mr. Bean in Room 426 (24:34)
- Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean (24:50)
- Hair by Mr. Bean of London (26:14)

The Story of Mr. Bean (48:55)
Trailer for Mr. Bean: The Animated TV Series (0:46)

Notes: At the beginning, you have to choose the menu's language Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Swedish. All extras are in English with optional subtitles in Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Swedish
Amazon ASIN: B00005N96T
Last edited by Christian_Bütikofer on 29 Aug 2017 14:29, edited 5 times in total.
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Aug 2017 20:03

Further from Paul

About the "R2 Scandinavia - Universal Pictures: Bean's Brilliant Boxset, 20th Anniversary Edition":

I just got this box and the "Best Bits" Montage (52:38)":

1) Is in wrong aspect ratio. I compared it to the uncut "Best Bits" from my R2/4 Finnish - Universal "10 Years" release and the video is just stretched from original/correct 1.33:1 to wrong 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
2) The title of the cut one is actually: The Best Of Mr. Bean (uncut is: The Best Bits Of Mr. Bean)
3) All start titles and end credits are different (obviously because they didn't want to show in the credits that the video is cut).

Calling this release as "remastered" is a bit of a stretch IMO; there's just some noise reduction of normal grain, some sharpening and slight color difference on some colors, and honestly I can't say which one is the better one, the remastered or the normal. Both still have a lot of edge artifacts and weird "dancing ants" (interlace-effects?) problems.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 21 Sep 2017 10:58

Scott, I moved my Bean contribution to the comparisons section ;-)
Christian_Bütikofer

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests