A Christmas Carol (1951) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

A Christmas Carol (1951) UPDATED

Postby Brent_Reid » 12 Jan 2018 14:51

Even though VCI have issued it on BD three times, in 2009, 2011 and 2012, they still can't get it right. The third one corrects errors present on the first two but either some remain or it adds new ones of its own! For crappy QC, VCI are only bested (worsted!) by Shout Factory. The various issues are truly mind-boggling, so off the top of my head I can't recall exactly what's what. All the relevant info is buried in two huge threads on HTF and BD.com, here and here. I've followed them both since the start, and attempted to round up the issues once and for all, but it seems the posters are happier to just go around in circles.

These errors seem to pertain to the only other BD, from Canada's Morningstar, and all previous DVDs too.

The good news is that the BFI recently did a new 2K restoration which is almost guaranteed to be superior to the US efforts. Unfortunately the current licensees, Renown, cancelled their planned BD and only released it on a DVD (ASIN B015J2MQAU), not currently listed on this site.

Apart from the UK 2-DVD set from DD Home Entertainment, I only have the most recent VCI BD. Does anyone here own any others and fancy helping me itemise their faults?
Brent_Reid

Re: A Christmas Carol (1951)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Jan 2018 11:02

I have the 60th Anniversary VCI Blu-ray. On vacation at the moment so I cannot personally check the discs until I return home.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 16 Jan 2018 20:23

Cheers James, though as I said all the info is in those two threads: exactly what missing dialogue, along with exact timings and so on. It's just that it's mostly piecemeal. As usual, I've tried collating the info - twice - but it's so bloody confusing. I think I might try asking again if someone will summarise it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope you're enjoying your hols! :)
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 17 Jan 2018 02:32

Is there more missing material than what is posted on our Blu-ray page?
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=19443
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: A Christmas Carol (1951) FAO: Brent

Postby Brent_Reid » 05 Feb 2018 16:46

The problem doesn't appear to be missing video, but rather missing audio. It seems like some fixes were made but not others. Additionally, at least one of the three has mastering issues, leading to a compromised image. This particular problem is common with VCI. Sometimes they own up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they admit it in a roundabout way, by remastering and reissuing the same disc within a few months or a year of the first. That way they don't have to lose out by announcing a replacement programme and fans who care enough buy the same releases twice. Grr...
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Feb 2018 23:26

Having "Dobly" audio on the menu screen was the icing on the cake!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 31 May 2018 18:17

I've gone over these with a fine toothcomb and the second two BDs have various minor visual issues with the film and extras that affect some players but not others. However, it would take ages to list them all; ideally they'd be in an article somewhere that could be linked to, but I'm not prepared to write it! The major remaining fault is the 8 seconds of missing dialogue from the first two BDs. Incidentally, the "for reaching it out" dialogue missing from all BDs is present on their audio commentary tracks.

I'd suggest putting the year of issue (2009, ASIN B002EXW7DY | 2011, B005FOW9CI | 2012, B008UY8FKK) after each release's listing, to discern them easier. Bettter still, list them in chronological order too.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 02 Jun 2018 04:52

Made updates to the audio being audible in the commentary, placed years with the editions, and other minor changes. Hopefully someone like the BFI will get this title for a UK release.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 02 Jun 2018 05:38

Re the BFI: I'm depending on it! I can't understand why they had to license such a perennial seller to a little outfit like renown who can't do it justice anyway. Unless there's a copyright issue, they really should have kept it in-house.

Well done on the listing itself; I honestly think it all looks a lot clearer now. Hard to believe how VCI can keep cocking it up like they do!
Brent_Reid

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests