Metropolis (1927) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Metropolis (1927) UPDATED

Postby Brent_Reid » 09 Oct 2018 17:16

In terms of copyright, everything that applies to Hitchcock's films also applies to this one. Simply put, it's always been copyrighted everywhere except for the US. There, its copyright lapsed for several decades but was restored when the US belatedly fell into line with the rest of the world, effective from 1 January 1996. As DVD came along a couple of years later (and BD 10 years later), that means every unauthorised disc is a deliberate bootleg.

I realise a lot of these discs have been in DVDC's database for a long time, but that doesn't make them any less illegitimate, or quality-wise, even worth owning. How about we remove them and add a generic explanatory footnote?
Brent_Reid

Re: Metropolis (1927)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 02 Nov 2018 15:39

Since the copyright was "restored", during the years where the copyright lapsed these public domain discs were technically legal, correct? In that case, I don't think it's right to erase them from existence, even if they are terrible. (I had the US Madacy DVD and it was atrocious, never was able to watch it all the way through since the picture quality was so bad)
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 03 Nov 2018 10:29

Afraid not, James. As I said, it's exactly the same situation as for Hitchcock's British films. This is really straightforward, so all I can do is repeat:

- In the US only, the film was temporarily public domain from 1953, but copyright was restored on the 1st January 1996.
    - Any US copies made between 1953-1995 are fine: basically, that means early VHS tapes and the odd LaserDisc.
    - The DVD format didn't appear in the west until 1997-1998 and the earliest unofficial Metropolis DVD I know of is from 1999. All unofficial DVDs are bootlegs.
To re-reiterate: Metropolis and many other films were never PD anywhere else, so every unofficial release produced outside of the US before or since 1996 is a bootleg.

If you still need convincing, there's another important point to bear in mind. From my article on US copyright law:

"Those who had previously been commercially exploiting such works were defined as “reliance parties,” and were given a limited window in which they could clear existing stock once the foreign rights holder had filed a “Notice of Intent to Enforce” the restored US copyright of a particular work."
In other words, from 1996 all the companies then issuing the films on VHS (and the odd LD) were given at least a years' grace to stop making copies and sell off existing stock. Instead, they not only knowingly continued but later went into production on a new format (DVD). These DVDs were always bootlegs, deliberately produced as bootlegs. It can't be any more black and white.

Everything above applies to many films in this database. What I love most about this site and its contributors is how much they strive for accuracy; I'm also happy to have been corrected on several occasions! I like to think this is a place where we don't blithely repeat the misinformation found all over the rest of the internet.

I've said before - and in at least this case you agree - these boots aren't worth anyone's time or money. If you'd rather not remove them, may I suggest moving them to their own "Bootlegs" section at the foot of the page, with a disclaimer that they're not recommended but being listed for reference purposes only?
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 04 Nov 2018 08:02

Fine, will get rid of the boots when I have the time.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 04 Nov 2018 16:33

I honestly don't mind if they stay, as long as it's made clear what they are. As much as anything, so that site visitors aren't potentially led astray. You've advocated in the past for keeping cheap PD releases/poss boots up for reference and let's face it: they're hardly off limits on my site. I refer to them constantly, but just always make it clear what they are and what buyers can expect.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Nov 2018 09:47

Looking over what we have in our database currently, it would be best to remove the boots entirely, at least keep them hidden from normal view and have information on which companies produced the boots and info on the copyright status. Unless there are objections of course.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 05 Nov 2018 10:44

Fair enough. The list of different versions in the current footnotes should be jettisoned, as it's meaningless without detailing at least the framerates of each version. Though it isn't perfect, the Wikipedia article does a much better job of describing them anyway. It is spot on with the copyright history. I don't plan to do a "Metropolis Collectors' Guide" as I don't feel it necessary (it would largely end up being a description of crappy bootleg cuts). If I did, here's the gist of what I would write; I suggest you use it to replace the current footnotes:

Metropolis has a very convoluted release and re-edit history, but for practical purposes there are only three versions worth considering and all are available on authorised home video:
- 1984 Giorgio Moroder Version (83 min, 24 fps) - adds tinting, some special effects and a modern rock/pop soundtrack
- 2001 Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung restoration (119 min, 24 fps) - with new recording of the original 1927 premiere Gottfried Huppertz orchestral score
- 2010 Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung "Complete" restoration (150 min, 24 fps) - with new recording of the original 1927 premiere Gottfried Huppertz orchestral score

The film has always been fully copyrighted worldwide except for the US, where it fell into the public domain between 1953-1995. There are many unauthorised poor quality DVD bootlegs and all should be avoided. These are from labels such as...

[...As well as the boots currently listed, you could add the ones listed here, from the Classic Media Holdings DVD onwards.]
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Nov 2018 13:19

Alright, updated both DVD and BD pages with the notes and removed the boots - except for the Japanese DVD which I added notes for that one specifically. Technically we still have the specs for the bootleg discs, just hidden away. Though most were incomplete in specs. Also added an article from Plagarism Today about the copyright status.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 05 Nov 2018 16:48

Nice work! I'd suggest also removing the final paragraph about the film's intended framerate. Not only is it inaccurate, I deliberately simplified the footnotes, as it's better where possible just to point to a superior source for specific info. There's been a lot of online discussion about the framrate, but unless you've got unlimited time to read it all, this gives a fair overview - and is an interesting read in its own right!

By the way, just one bootleg remains: the first Eureka DVD. As I've explained before, they released a lot of them in their early days and definitely not by accident, either.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Nov 2018 22:09

Removed note and old Eureka.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Metropolis (1927) UPDATED

Postby Brent_Reid » 15 Nov 2018 11:56

A word about the Plagiarism Today article: it's mostly accurate and in this particular case worth retaining. But bear in mind that site generally contains many inaccuracies that are never corrected and often even repeated, despite its sole author receiving numerous notifications from very credible sources. In fact, professors, copyright lawyers, etc. were correcting him constantly in his article comments but rather than take any advice on board, he instead chose to delete their comments and remove the commenting facility entirely.

If it was simply an opinion-driven blog, that would be fair enough. However, positioning yourself as something of an authority on the law and then silencing more knowledgeable but dissenting voices smacks more of ego than any real motive to disseminate the truth.
Brent_Reid

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests