Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 21 Jan 2019 09:02

Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray:

1. It is region ALL, as checked by me, even though the back of the case says it is region A.

2. There seems to be an issue with the 2.0 audio track. I only have a stereo system, and for some movies multi-channel (5.1, 7.1 etc.) tracks cause issues, presumably where there is a slight delay on some channels. The delay is too short to sound like an echo, instead either being extremely short, giving a 'flange' effect, or slightly longer, giving the sound an unpleasant metallic quality. However, on this release, the roles are reversed - on my system the 5.1 track sounds fine, but the 2.0 track seems to have this unpleasant metallic quality (most noticeable on short loud sounds such as a door slamming). Possibly the 2.0 track was generated as a downmix from the 5.1 track with some of the tracks being slightly out of sync, but that is just a guess.

Source: I own a copy.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 22 Jan 2019 07:44

Update:

Having checked this a bit more, it seems that the 2.0 track sounds ok some of the time, so perhaps the above issue is only on certain scenes. But I also noticed another issue - in one scene where someone is speaking in a church, on the 5.1 track there is a lot of reverb on the voice, but on the 2.0 track it sounds dry (pretty much no reverb at all). Very strange...
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2019 23:16

What is the film runtime and the startup trailers runtimes?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray FAO Darrel

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 29 Jan 2019 08:04

Oops - I should have spotted the absence of runtimes.

1. startup trailers are:

- "The House at the End of Time" (on-screen title: "La Casa del Fin de los Tiempos", in Spanish with burnt-in English subtitles) (2:23)
- "Starry Eyes" (1:58)
- "VANish" (1:32)

2. runtime for movie: 96:02

3. all other runtimes are present and correct, but the second featurette is called "FX featurette", so should probably be written as:

"FX featurette" featurette (30:09)

4. The English subtitle track is correctly flagged as English ("ENG") but it seems to be just regular "English", NOT "English HOH" - for example when a phone rings off camera, the subtitles do not mention it. The same is likely to be the case for the MPI DVD, but I don't own it so can't confirm.

5. The Spanish subtitle track does work ok, but is incorrectly flagged as English ("ENG").
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Late Phases (2014) US MPI Blu-ray FAO Darrel

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2019 15:54

Thank you, updated the specs. We kept it as "FX" featurette, so it wouldn't be reduntant. Strange about the audio, but it doesn't seem like much to input, unless there was evidence of others or something more technical.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests