Terror (1978) / The Devil's Men (1976) Scorpion DVD UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Terror (1978) / The Devil's Men (1976) Scorpion DVD UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 03 May 2019 12:28

Terror (Norman J. Warren, 1978) / The Devil's Men (Kostas Karagiannis, 1976)

Scorpion Releasing DVD double feature

corrections and additions:

1. The Devil's Men director name spellings are incorrect. Should be:

Kostas Karagiannis (as Costas Carayiannis)

2. Correct runtimes are as follows:

Terror: 84:23

The Devil's Men: 94:12

3. The Katarina's Nightmare Theater option plays:

- introduction (3:19)
- The Devil's Men (94:12)
- post-script and 2nd introduction (2:45)
- Terror (84:23)
- 2nd post-script (0:48)
- trailer extracts for various movies (2:09)
- final post-script (0:30)

If you wish to add this, then it can be added to the pages for BOTH movies.

4. Terror lists one of the extras as:

"Bloody Good Times" featurette (40:40)

It is (incorrectly) listed with the above name in the on-screen menu on the disc, but is in fact:

"Bloody Good Fun: Making Terror" (40:43)

(note also the corrected runtime)

which is essentially the same as the featurette on the UK Anchor Bay box set, disc 5 (bonus disc), but is NTSC instead of PAL (it seems to be a PAL-> NTSC conversion), and is slightly shorter (40:43 vs 41:08) because it omits the end credits.

5. There is NO theatrical trailer for The Devil's Men, so this should be removed.

6. The first 2 additional trailers are together as a single item (5:41), with the 3rd trailer playing afterwards (1:01). The individual runtimes are as follows:

Trailers:
- Nothing But the Night (2:49)
- Double Exposure (2:52)
- The Devil Within Her (1:01)

These times can be added to the pages for BOTH movies.

7. Note also that the correct runtime for the UK Anchor Bay box set release of Terror is 79:25 PAL (equivalent to 82:44).

Source: I own both the Scorpion release and the UK Anchor Bay box set
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Terror (1978) / The Devil's Men (1976) Scorpion DVD

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 03 May 2019 12:46

Running times come from the bitrate graph generated for the dvdbeaver reviews. The time display on players tends to vary by a few seconds.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 03 May 2019 13:17

I've been trying to work out if this is due to drop-frame timecode vs non-drop-frame timecode. The differences seem about the right size, but previous tests by me suggest that my player's time display is equivalent to non-drop frame timecode, and drop-frame timecode would produce a HIGHER total time figure, not lower, so the differences seem to be the wrong way round!

Anyway, if you want to ignore the differences, then ignore points 2 and 7, ignore the time difference in point 4, and adjust the times for the 2 movies in point 3.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 03 May 2019 13:21

Thanks. I will revise the other points later today.

I am curious as to whether the Powerhouse transfers of the four Warren films will be different than the Vinegar Syndrome ones.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 03 May 2019 13:40

The reason I just checked these discs is precisely because I was reading the list of extras on the Powerhouse box set, which I've just pre-ordered, as I love Norman J. Warren's movies. I hadn't been aware of the Vinegar Syndrome releases before today, so I don't own them. The Powerhouse website says they are "new 2K restorations", but then how new is "new"? I assume the transfers for the Vinegar Syndrome releases are pretty new too, and surely would have been at least 2K. I really don't know much about how image data is shared between different companies, but since scanning and restoring an entire movie is quite an arduous process, I expect normally the process is only done once unless it has been done so poorly that a decision is made to start again from scratch, or a company decides to do a higher res scan, or of course if a better quality source material has been discovered. Apparently sometimes companies will do some additional post-processing on the same basic material, such as additional cleaning, colour grading etc.

But the short answer in this case is: I've no idea - sorry!
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 03 May 2019 13:47

VS’ Prey, Terror, snd Bloody New Year are 2k scans. They may be the same raw scans with powerhouse doing their own restoration and grading. With both releases of Satan’s Slave coming out so close, it would seem like the same scan (and presumably Euro London would want to put more strain on Bloody New Year’s materials). We likely won’t see Inseminoid stateside any time soon.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 03 May 2019 14:10

I assume you meant "...WOULDN'T want to put more strain..."

The Powerhouse box set will apparently be region free, plus I'm sure a film fan such as yourself is able to view a disc with any region coding. But if you've already got the VS Blu-ray releases then the box set is quite an expensive way of acquiring Inseminoid, although it does also include Satan's Slave, which is probably my personal favourite of his movies (with Terror being a close second). Plus it looks like there are a LOT of extras including many exclusive ones, if you are interested in such things. It looks like the VS releases have quite a few exclusive extras too.

I do like watching extras myself, although these days so many Blu-ray releases have so many extras, I've recently found myself having to mostly prioritise watching the actual movies, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever manage to watch all the extras in my lifetime!!!
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 03 May 2019 14:15

Satan’s Slave is due out from VS in May but there are indeed some interesting exclusive extras in the set. I wonder if the Prey location footage bit is that BBC doc that was cost-prohibitive for Anchor Bay to license for their set.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 05 May 2019 08:46

Revised.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests