Silent film soundtracks

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Silent film soundtracks

Postby Brent_Reid » 23 Dec 2019 18:37

Further to the 4K UHD discussion elsewhere in this forum, I'd like to suggest another amendment to the "How to Layout a comparison" page. For "Soundtracks", how about an addition in parentheses:
    Soundtracks (If a silent film, also state who composed and performed the score)
The current version is fine for sound films that mostly only have one or two different edits, usually all with the same soundtrack. But most often, the easiest way to discern completely different versions or restorations of silent films is by their respective scores. Yet this info isn't being routinely added, which often leads to confusion.
Brent_Reid

Re: Silent film soundtracks

Postby Ulrich_Christensen » 21 Jun 2020 23:45

Going through some of the old posts, saw this and I've added your suggestion to the template.
Ulrich_Christensen
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Re: Silent film soundtracks

Postby Brent_Reid » 22 Jun 2020 07:10

Blimey Ulrich, I'd completely given up on getting a reply - thank you! :)

Of course, it would be even better to ask for the source or restoration too, due to the varying nature of so many silent film transfers. That would be of use with many transfers of later sound films too. But then, the form would be in danger of becoming too lengthy and unwieldy. Ideally, there'd be a separate, tailored form for silents, but this soundtrack addition, along with the runtime, should enable IDing most of the transfers.
Brent_Reid

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests