Aenigma (1987) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Aenigma (1987) UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 24 Jul 2020 14:19

Aenigma (Lucio Fulci, 1987)

The main point of this post is in a sense a question, but I have also included some improvements/corrections for existing entries:

---
UK Screen Entertainment DVD:

(Note that my copy is actually a re-issue with a different branding and cover (Shriek Collection / Shriek Films, ASIN: B000NVIM5G), but has the same contents.)

Region: 0 (I cannot guarantee that the original release was Region 0, but the re-issue is.)

Extras:

Theatrical Trailer (2:52)
Image Gallery (6 images)
Filmography for director Lucio Fulci (15 pages)
Bonus Trailers:
- "I Spit on Your Grave" (2:52)
- "Demonium" (0:56)
- "Nutbag" (0:45)
- "The Red Monks" (2:41)
- "Reign in Darkness" (2:39)
- "Don't Mess with My Sister" (2:36)
- "Nor chor AKA Bangkok Hell" (2:58)

Source: I own the Shriek Collection / Shriek Films re-issue of the UK Screen Entertainment DVD

---
88 Films Blu-ray:

Region: ALL

Notes: Incorrectly states Region B on the back of the case.

Source: Blu-ray.com

---
Question regarding cut status:

This is PAL, and is not an NTSC -> PAL conversion (I checked frame by frame) even though according to the database it has about the same runtime, and also the same cuts description, as the US Image Entertainment DVD. I don't own the latter, but perhaps it is a PAL -> NTSC conversion, or perhaps it is a shorter version and simply by coincidence has about the same runtime as the UK PAL DVD. The database cuts description matches what is written about the Image Entertainment DVD release on the 'Alternate Versions' page of IMDb:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092516/al ... t_ql_trv_5

The runtime details are as follows:

picture ends 1:25:24 PAL (equivalent to 1:28:58)
music ends 1:25:32 PAL (equivalent to 1:29:06)

Therefore in terms of the picture content, it is effectively 0:28 longer than the UK 88 Films Blu-ray release:

88 Films Blu-ray:

picture ends 1:28:30
music ends 1:29:12

I don't (yet) own the Severin Films release, but according to the database it has an even longer runtime. However, it does not currently state whether this is for the picture content or just the music:

Severin Films Blu-ray:

runtime 1:29:17

Anyway my question is: how can the UK Screen Entertainment DVD be cut when the picture runtime is effectively longer than the uncut 88 Films Blu-ray? Is the DVD in fact uncut? Or is the 88 Films Blu-ray in fact cut? Or is there something even stranger going on here? According to the BBFC website all known UK versions were passed uncut. It might possibly have been pre-cut prior to being submitted to the BBFC, but given the runtime this seems unlikely.

Answers on a postcard... or better still in a post.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Aenigma (1987)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 07 Aug 2020 12:31

Added the Shriek DVD, but since you have both, can you confirm if either are cut or not?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Aenigma (1987) FAO Darrel

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 08 Aug 2020 17:09

I'm not sure how I can do that. All I can think of that I could possibly do is compare them shot by shot. However, that would take ages and be tough due to the different frame rates, and even then it wouldn't rule out the possibility that both are cut.

Unfortunately I don't know the movie well enough to know where the supposedly missing dialogue shots and flashback sequence are meant to occur, but if anyone else can provide any of those details, I am happy to compare the 2 releases at those points.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 11 Aug 2020 12:09

P.S. The 88 Films Blu-ray still needs to be updated:

Region: ALL

Notes: Incorrectly states Region B on the back of the case.

I cited the source for this as Blu-ray.com, which is quite reliable for region codes.

I do also own this release myself, but mine is currently still factory sealed. If you don't trust Blu-ray.com, let me know and I will open mine to check it myself.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Aug 2020 14:37

Why not open it? Updated. Blu-ray.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Aenigma (1987) UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 11 Aug 2020 15:15

It's worth more if it's still sealed, and I've ordered the Severin Blu-ray (still waiting for it to arrive). But looking at the specs, the 88 Films Blu-ray has exclusive extras, so I'm sure I'll open it anyway at some point to watch those.

I've just spotted a typo in the 88 Films Blu-ray:

Theatircal Trailer (3:00) -> Theatrical Trailer (3:00)

Also, you didn't add into the notes section:

Incorrectly states Region B on the back of the case.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Aenigma (1987) UPDATED

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 12 Aug 2020 15:21

Fixed the Blu-ray
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests