DVD Mad Max Japan ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

DVD Mad Max Japan ADDED

Postby Oliver_Asmussen » 21 Apr 2016 02:17

Title: Mad Max
Director: George Miller
Region: 2
Releasing Studio: Warner
Case Type: Keep case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 Non-Anamorphic
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital Mono 1.0
Japanese Dolby Digital Mono 1.0
Subtitles: English, Japanese
Cuts: No cuts 1:32:44
Commentaries: No
Extras: Biographies (In japanese)
Production Notes (in japanese)
Trailers
- Mad Max (3:07)
- Mad Max 2 (2:46)
- Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1:31)
Advertisement for 4 Warner Titles
Notes: This version has a very different transfer than the us-dvd or dvd/blu combo pack. As in: bright blue skies, deeper colours, but skin tones seem a bit too reddish compared to the us-release.
As for the audio: This japanese release is the only dvd i ever encountered which has the original unaltered audio track. Even the dvd from the combo track which was said to have the original mono, whereas the blu-ray has only a downmix. That is NOT the case. The dvd only restores one missing line from Johnny the boy as he gets dragged by the kuffed ankle that is missing on the blu-ray entirely. However the dvd omits countless foley effects completely such as flapping wings from a bird, footsteps as max runs to his wife, the sound of the dropped rifle as he reaches her, etc. Apart from the restored line in the dvd i'd say the rest is still a downmix. The japanese one has the real deal audio.
Easter Eggs:
Amazon ASIN (UK, French, German, USA releases only):
Source: I own it
Oliver_Asmussen

Re: DVD Mad Max Japan

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 21 Apr 2016 13:06

One of my Australian friends borrowed the Japanese Mad Max from a rental shop and was appalled that it only had the US dub. Possibly a different pressing.

As for the missing line, what point is this exactly?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: DVD Mad Max Japan FAO Oliver

Postby Oliver_Asmussen » 22 Apr 2016 00:00

Plot thickens...
The line happens at about 1:27:58 when Max drags Johnny the boy with the handcuffs around his ankle and the line goes "Careful, my ankle! My foot, man!". Curiously this line is included on the australian mono track on the us-dvd from the bd/dvd combo set, but not on the blu-ray. The other foley effects are missing on both discs
And unfortunately you are right. This is the US-Dub and i can't believe that japan let's me down i didn't even notice that. I didn't watch the whole disc yet, i just got it in and immediately checked for the sound bits. I thought i finally can scratch this movie of my list. I'm officially depressed now.

But this release still has all the missing sound effects.
Some examples are:
1:13:53 Max is running towards his wife and you can hear his footsteps on the road unlike other versions.
1:14:07 Max drops the rifle on the road with a very audible sound which is completely absent on other releases.
1:24:24 After max shoot bubba and limps to his car and the he audibly slams against the car there is a bird landing on bubba's corpse. Again, you can hear it flapping its wings.
And so on.
And it gets worse: I just checked ALL audio tracks on the blu-ray and it turns out these foley effects are on ALL dubbed language tracks, but on NONE of the australian tracks, so i start to wonder why that is.
An australian vhs-tape Is probably the only way to ever find out if these sounds were ever in the original australian version at all.

At this stage i doubt that there is ANY dvd out there that has the true original australian soundtrack on it.If these effects were ever even present in australia.

I think i'll grab myself an australian vhs-tape next just to get the damn real deal. It's a nuisance. And grab Mad Max 2 while i'm at it. I live in Australia after all. If i can find them.

Same issue with mad max 2. I just can't get the unrated japanese non-anamorphic 2.0 version anywhere or even a picture of the actual cover or anything useful online about it apart the little info that i found on this site.
No ASIN, no article number, nothing. Even amazon.jp has only the later editions.

It's a nightmare.
Short version is: The japanese dvd has pretty much the same audio track as the US-dub on the blu-ray. Fantastic failure and money well spent. But i have nice colours on a crappy transfer...
I go to bed!
Oliver_Asmussen

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 23 Apr 2016 00:46

I checked the Shout Factory Blu-ray and the ankle line is NOT in the Australian 5.1 or 2.0 tracks, but is on the US dub mono track.
I am adding the Japanese DVD, but since it's not confirmed about the foley tracks and dialogue either being missing or it being dubbed later by AIP for the US, I will just add as a note that the US dub features differing dialogue and audio.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Oliver_Asmussen » 23 Apr 2016 00:56

I wouldn't know about the shout factory since i've never seen it. I only have the mgm combo. And there this line is not in the australian blu-ray tracks at all. Only on the dvd australian mono track. But that line is the only thing present. All other foley effects are still missing. Only the dubbed languages have them, including the us-track.
Oliver_Asmussen

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Jun 2016 12:54

Hi Oliver,
With the emails regarding the Japanese Mad Max DVD, I went ahead and got a copy of the Warner Japan DVD myself - spine DLT-11170

Some questions:
The Warner Japan DVD you submitted has the English (US) mono audio and Japanese mono audio tracks.
The DVD I got has the English (US) mono audio and English (Australia) mono audio.
The runtime is the same as you listed, the extras as well.

Would be most helpful if you could shed some light on your particular copy. I'm having trouble finding the Japanese DVD with the Japanese dub track.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Jun 2016 12:58

I've just sent Oliver a quick e-mail to highlight him to the thread. :)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Oliver_Asmussen » 13 Jun 2016 13:23

Hi.

Some questions:
1.The Warner Japan DVD you submitted has the English (US) mono audio and Japanese mono audio tracks. MY MISTAKE
The DVD I got has the English (US) mono audio and English (Australia) mono audio. SAME HERE
The runtime is the same as you listed, the extras as well.

Short answer:
Just replace japanese with australian language in the listing and then its corrected.
I just looked up the specs in my MPC player as the movie played and since track 1 was english (albeit the us dub as was pointed out to me later) i assumed that track 2 was the japanese one as usually happens with japanese discs since thay produce dubs for every movie as far as i know and i could swear that the japanese disc i owned some 20 years ago did have japanese on it, but my memory could be wrong about that...
I later found out by accident that track 2 is indeed the australian one. My disc is the same as yours.

The long answers is the last response i wrote to perhaps another person.
I just copy/paste it here and hope that clears it up once and for all:

Bad timing because I just shipped it to someone who bought it off me on ebay. It stayed there for less than 12 hours until it sold, probably way too cheap, but it’s still available on amazon.jp.

You already have the full breakdown listed, you should probably make another entry because the Japanese audio has been replaced with the Australian one at least since 2001. I had an older Japanese release as well back in the day it it definitely had Japanese audio on it.

Since you mentioned the audio was the dub and it turned out to be the case I decided to get the uk release which arrived yesterday.
And since that has a MUCH better picture quality upon direct comparison (anamorphic, but less blue tint, which is always welcome and overall far more realistic looking) I decided to keep that one instead since it also has the complete unhampered australian mono track as it turned out. I also have the MGM Blu which looks fairly close to the japan dvd in terms of colour grading. All sound effects (eagle wings, footsteps, dropped rifle, etc.) are accounted for on the UK DVD as well including the “my foot”-line and the “blasphemer”-line.

But the Japanese one is identical to the one you already have in the list with one tiny unexpected detail: The Japanese audio has been omitted and replaced with the Australian one. It is audio track 2 while audio track 1 is the us-dub. (This is why I didn’t even bothered checking the 2nd track out, it was just a lucky incident that I discovered the Australian audio later as I wrote before). Both are Dolby Digital 1.0
Japanese & English subs included, English subs are referring to the us-version, not the oz-version.
The rest is identical (same extras & runtime and still non-anamorphic), my release is from 2001, so they must have changed this somewhere down the line before or on that year since amazon.jp shows pretty much a release for every other year as well. No luck with the oldest Mad Max 2 though.

Moving on. UK release is the easiest & best looking option for original audio. Please don’t say there is anything wrong with that disc now.

Cheers
Oliver_Asmussen

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Jun 2016 14:14

As far as I can tell it seems that ALL the Japanese DVDs have the US audio and Australian audio tracks and none have the Japanese dub. The Japanese dub is available on the Blu-ray though.

As for my Australian friend who rented the movie in Japan and was surprised that there was no Australian dialogue, he probably didn't hit the audio key, like you.

Compared a bit with the audio between the Shout Factory and the Japanese DVD.
The Australian audio on the JP DVD sounds very tinny and weak, but as you said includes some extra lines like the "Ankle" line which is on the US dub as well.
The Australian audio on the Shout BD sounds much better, but some of the portions you mentioned are not there.

Seems like the Japanese DVD Australian track is a hybrid of the US and Australian audio, but whether it is the "original" or not, unsure about it.

Updated, thanks!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests