Kindergarten Cop (1990) - Minor Edit? DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Kindergarten Cop (1990) - Minor Edit? DONE

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 16 Jul 2017 12:26

On the Kindergarten Cop (1990) DVD comparisons page http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=88 it says at the bottom the following:

R1 America- Universal Pictures - No cuts.
R1 America- Universal Pictures - Arnold Schwarzenegger Comedy Favorites Collection - No cuts (111:08 NTSC).
R2 United Kingdom- Universal Pictures - The scene after Kimble's first day at school when he goes back to the motel room has 1 minor edit. He says the kids are horrible and the scene fades out, when he should go on to say "they're like little terrorists".
R4 Australia- Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment - No cuts.

However MELONFARMERS http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/hitsk.htm ... garten_cop says something about this only being a rumour. Also I have watched several online versions of that scene, and each one does not seem to include the missing line (though I suppose they all might have been the same identical UK cut version, I'm not sure). :-?

Anyway, can anyone confirm that the American/Australian (+ possibly any other non-UK versions) DVD(and/or)Blu-Ray has this line intact. I wonder if maybe it might be the same shortened line in every country release? Meanwhile, I noticed the only UK DVD comparison currently listed has a screen ratio 1.33:1, whereas the link to Amazon-UK on the MELONFARMERS page http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... farmers-21 has this listed as ratio 16:9 - 1.85:1. So looks like it was re-released in the UK on DVD in 2007/2008(ish), but this re-release is not currently listed on the comparison page. So can anyone update the page with this version too? Also, maybe check about the missing line in this re-release version if possible. One way or another - looks like the comparison page might need updating somewhere. :o
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Kindergarten Cop (1990) - Minor Edit?

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 12 Aug 2017 17:14

Can anyone help please? Been a month since I asked an no replies yet.
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Aug 2017 09:23

I haven't seen the movie in years and don't have the DVD. Tried looking around for info and I found nothing. Anyone else?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Aug 2017 12:05

Mark is pretty hot on UK edits and cut history.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Aug 2017 13:24

Although now I did see this on IMDB:
In the original version (filmed in 1990), after his first day with the kindergarteners, Kimble mumbles "They're horrible. They're like little terrorists." In post-9/11 versions, the line about terrorists has been deleted.

So safe to assume post-2001 DVD releases and all Blu-ray releases have the dialogue edited out. Though it would be better to see if someone could check.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 15 Aug 2017 15:03

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:So safe to assume post-2001 DVD releases and all Blu-ray releases have the dialogue edited out. Though it would be better to see if someone could check.

Well this is why I brought up this matter in the first place - IMDB says that the scene is cut, but MELONFARMERS claims that it is only a rumour. Thing is - both websites have been wrong about various things in the past - so I'm just not sure which one to believe. :-?

However, I am inclined to believe MELONFARMERS because they must have done some background research when they made the MELONFARMERS-cutting-edge YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazPFCCKXSk (I forgot to add a link in this discussion when I made this thread :oops: ) which essentially says the same thing (at about 7min-30secs) as on their main website http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/hitsk.htm ... garten_cop . Just how much background research they did about this particular edit I have no idea - but it's enough to make you think what they found about the edit-rumour is accurate.

Also just a side note: my old (UK) VHS copy (released before the events of 9/11 in 2001) I'm sure does not contain that supposedly missing line (but is otherwise completely uncut as far as I can tell) - so who knows? We all kind of need extra information just to be sure (like i said originally: if anyone has the USA DVD release it might help - it's the only release that might have the scene included...)

Sorry this is proving a bit of a complicated issue - but I figured it could be very important thing to know about on the notes for this title.
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Aug 2017 15:37

The DVD page has been updated, but listed that the US release in the box is unconfirmed whether cut or not.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Mark_Meakin » 15 Aug 2017 16:22

Samuel_Scott wrote:Mark is pretty hot on UK edits and cut history.

Can't help here I'm afraid. :(. The last time it was classified in the UK was October 1999 according to their site.Surely this was for dvd as it would usually only be reclassified if a widescreen version was submitted and/or cuts were possibly required ?. I'm not sure when it was very first released on dvd in the UK.
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Mark_Meakin » 15 Aug 2017 16:37

Several westerns have had additional cuts for the widescreen dvd releases as horsesfalls 'cropped' on video releases were revealed. I believe Warren Beatty's REDS was one film further cut for dvd due to this.Going off topic I know. :)
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 15 Aug 2017 22:23

I can confirm that the line at 33:17 from Arnie (Kimble) on the Comedy Favorites Collection (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=88#2) is only "They're horrible." Next Pamela Reed (Phoebe) says: "Tell me about it." This ridiculous censorship really sucks... I own this collection. Time for a proper release :evil:
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 16 Aug 2017 09:36

Christian_Bütikofer wrote:I can confirm that the line at 33:17 from Arnie (Kimble) on the Comedy Favorites Collection (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=88#2) is only "They're horrible." Next Pamela Reed (Phoebe) says: "Tell me about it." This ridiculous censorship really sucks... I own this collection. Time for a proper release :evil:

Well Christian, with your release-version it sort of reinforces the suggestion that the cut "Terrorists" line (after "They're horrible" / "Tell me about it") was never there in the original theatrical version in the first place. So perhaps you need not worry, your copy might be fully uncut after all...

This is certainly proving to be a curious topic with this title. But so far all the evidence seems to be pointing towards melonfarmers.co.uk being correct about it only being a rumour. I think at this point we need some official confirmation from somewhere or something - or none of us will ever really be certain.
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Ulrich_Christensen » 16 Aug 2017 23:48

Watching the clip here (actual line is about at 1m48):
https://youtu.be/m1JgMM8b9_w?t=1m30s
I don't think the "missing line" makes sense.

The scene seems perfect as is. The delivery and partner falling over.

Unless there is an alternate take, this IS the scene (no cuts) and the bit on IMDb is misinformation.

I don't know if this is either a case of IMDb having inserted wrong information to detect copying (a practice they have been said to have) or a Simba's Shazaam (where people remember something that never happened).

People on Blu-ray.com seem to confirm that the line was never there: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13969698. Linked post is from viewing an original 35mm print.
Ulrich_Christensen
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Postby Mark_Meakin » 17 Aug 2017 11:46

Reminds me of an argument we had on WWDVDForums around COMMANDO, when somebody bought up the scene in the film where Schwarzenegger kills several soldiers with various tools.A forum member seemed to think he had seen extra footage of Schwarzenegger beating a man with his own severed arm after he removes it with a machete ! :lol: . Here was another members tongue in cheek reply:

Ah yes, I remember that arm bashing sequence fondly... it was only ever shown in the private loft of the last house on dead end street back in 1984, a full year before the film was officially released! I was one of the lucky (number slevin) few to receive VIP tickets to this unofficial preview screening. Had the scene not been snipped out by a vendetta-crazed Cropsy - despite ecstatic audience feedback, particularly from Paul Reubens! - Commando would likely be revered today as a greater work than Citizen Kane.
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests