New york ripper USA blu-ray DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: New york ripper USA blu-ray DONE

Postby Paul_Lewis » 14 Sep 2020 16:51

Thanks, Darrel.

I'll make these amendments later this evening and then we should be all sorted on the Blu-ray comparison page :)
Darrel_Griffin wrote:Thanks Paul.

I had tried to make my notes as easy as possible to use for the updates, so hopefully it wasn't too painful!

Also, since I wrote them, there has been at least one additional release, namely the US Blue Underground 3-disc (although for some reason this addition is not mentioned in the update log).

I have had a quick look at the page, and while I can't be sure I haven't missed anything, I think it mostly looks fine, but there are a few things:

1. Add to the notes of the US Blue Underground 3-disc release that it is a 4K scan from the original camera negative (source: I own it).

2. I would probably change the "Overall" verdict to the US Blue Underground 3-disc release being the winner, and also change paragraph 1 in this section to reflect this. My reasoning is as follows:

I am confused as to whether or not the Austrian release includes the "freeze frame" shot - paragraph 1 states that it does, but the CUTS section states that it is likely to be missing, so this needs addressing. Based on the runtime, I expect it is missing. Personally I usually prefer an uncut release to a cut one with more extras, but then in this particular case, the freeze frame doesn't really add much. However, the US 3-disc release is a 4K scan, plus it has so many more extras - many featurettes plus the soundtrack CD, so I would probably conclude that it is the overall winner regardless of whether or not the Austrian release includes the "freeze frame" shot, but also add a note that the Austrian release includes some exclusive extras (not English-friendly).

I would also recommend changing the following words:

...the misplaced scene intact...

to:

...the "freeze frame" shot (see below) intact...

3. In the "Overall" verdict section, in paragraph 2 regarding the UK release, I would recommend removing the words "not found on the US release", as this is misleading (because while the older US 1-disc release didn't include the "freeze frame" shot, the newer US 3-disc release does include it).

4. In the CUTS section, in the US Blue Underground 3-disc entry, I recommend the following changes so it mentions the "freeze frame" shot, and corrects the typo "itended":

Blu-ray ALL 3-Disc Limited Edition America- Blue Underground - No cuts (93:07) with the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in its intended place at ~44 minutes.

5. In the CUTS section, the UK release could be improved by changing the following words:

Includes the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in the correct position.

to:

Includes the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in its intended place at ~44 minutes.

so it uses similar wording to the US 3-disc release.

---
As for the DVD page, I didn't create a comprehensive list of suggestions, but certainly the following can be done:

1. Substitute mentions of the 'misplaced scene' with 'misplaced "freeze frame" shot' or similar.

2. Update the "General note" to match the one on the Blu-ray page.

3. Mention the existence of the Shameless Fan Edition DVD, which is not yet listed (it is a different release to the original Shameless DVD), and ask if anyone who owns it
could supply details.

---
Also, as Matthew pointed out, there is the new US Blue Underground 4K UHD release, but I don't own it myself so I can't supply specs.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Previous

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests