Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) American DVD ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) American DVD ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 10 Jan 2019 10:37

Title: Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) DVD
Region: 1
Releasing Studio: Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Anamorphic?: No
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC (progressive transfer)
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 surround

(Case states it is surround. I do not have the necessary hardware to confirm this, but it is definitely not mono, so is either stereo or surround.)

Subtitles (are they optional?): none
Cuts: no known cuts (presumably uncut) (98:18)
Commentaries: none
Extras:

Theatrical Trailer (2:20)

Notes: case title: The Philadelphia Experiment 2, on-screen title: Philadelphia Experiment II
Easter Eggs: none known
Amazon ASIN: B00079HZS4
Source: I own a copy

Additional Notes:

1. IMDb reports OAR as 2.35:1. Judging by some close-up shots on the DVD, where the actor's head almost fills the screen vertically, I cannot imagine it is open-matte, as matting to 2.35:1 would heavily crop off both the top and bottom of the face. Therefore, assuming IMDb is correct, the DVD is presumably pan-and-scan.

2. Other DVD releases also exist, but this is the only one I own.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) American DVD

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 11 Jan 2019 10:26

Lions Gate did flag their surround tracks correctly back then, I will enter it as surround. Older copies of the VLC player can auto detect surround flags and indicate it.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 11 Jan 2019 10:33

Thanks Eric.

I am not familiar with VLC player, but anyway the only computer DVD drives I have are region 2 only, and this disc is region 1, so unfortunately I can't check it on a computer.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 11 Jan 2019 10:53

VLC bypasses the region check. My computer plays all regions with VLC but only 0 and 1 with Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player.

I haven’t seen the latest version of VLC but older versions have the option to set Dolby Pro Logic to on all the time or auto (wherein it will only display and decode ad surround if flagged).
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 11 Jan 2019 12:13

Thanks again Eric.

I have just downloaded VLC 3.0.6,and yes it does play this disc even though it is region 1 :-D. I had previously thought that the region lock was in the hardware of the DVD drive and could not be overridden. Clearly this is not the case.

However, I have so far been unable to find any way to tell if the soundtrack is surround. I have seen no reference to Dolby Pro Logic so far. I tried changing some of the settings in Preferences, such as telling it that I have a 5.1 system (which isn't true), but it seems to make no difference.

If you have any other suggestions regarding this, please let me know. But it's good to know I can now play any DVD on my computer. Not that I ever do anyway... but at least I can use it to check some of the specs for any future region 1 DVD submissions I might make!
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 11 Jan 2019 12:16

Darrel_Griffin wrote:Thanks again Eric.

I have just downloaded VLC 3.0.6,and yes it does play this disc even though it is region 1 :-D. I had previously thought that the region lock was in the hardware of the DVD drive and could not be overridden. Clearly this is not the case.

However, I have so far been unable to find any way to tell if the soundtrack is surround. I have seen no reference to Dolby Pro Logic so far. I tried changing some of the settings in Preferences, such as telling it that I have a 5.1 system (which isn't true), but it seems to make no difference.

If you have any other suggestions regarding this, please let me know. But it's good to know I can now play any DVD on my computer. Not that I ever do anyway... but at least I can use it to check some of the specs for any future region 1 DVD submissions I might make!

I will check the newer version settings and get back to you later today. If not, I will see which earlier version has the means to configure it. It may be that the newer version either disregards the flag and plays all 2.0 as stereo or forces prologic regardless of the source.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) American DVD ADDED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 12 Jan 2019 16:13

Added
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Philadelphia Experiment II (1993) American DVD ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 13 Jan 2019 08:20

Thanks. You could perhaps remove the extra "Notes:" - currently it says: