The Quatermass Experiment (2005) (BBC TV movie) DVD ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

The Quatermass Experiment (2005) (BBC TV movie) DVD ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 21 Sep 2017 09:28

Title: The Quatermass Experiment (2005)

Director: Sam Miller

Region: 2 (confirmed)
Releasing Studio: Simply Home Entertainment
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Anamorphic?: Yes
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Subtitles:

English (optional)
English for commentary track (optional)

Cuts: no cuts as such (96:40) - ***BUT SEE ADDITIONAL NOTES (POINT 2) BELOW***

Commentaries: Commentary with moderator Marcus Hearn, actors Mark Gatiss and David Tennant, outside broadcast director Trevor Hampton, and one of the producers Alison Willett (with optional subtitles).

Extras:

-"Bring Something Back - The Making of The Quatermass Experiment" documentary (48:56)
-Photo gallery (39 images) (2:38)

Notes: ***SEE ADDITIONAL NOTES (POINT 1) BELOW REGARDING ACCOMPANYING BOOKLET WITH SOME COPIES***
Easter Eggs: Go to Special Features, highlight Photo Gallery, press RIGHT then ENTER to play an extra interview clip with actor Jason Flemyng (1:39).
Amazon ASIN: B000BH2TY2
Source: I own a copy

Additional notes:

1. Some reviewers on Amazon.co.uk have mentioned an accompanying booklet (e.g. the quote below), but my copy does NOT include one. There is another item listed on Amazon which seems to have the same front cover: ASIN B01I07414K , so this might be an earlier release that included the booklet, but this is just a guess on my part.

Quote from reviewer on Amazon.co.uk:

"If you read the notes in the accompanying booklet it talks of 2 or 3 stumbles in this live broadcast, and says that for this DVD release they have edited them out and replaced them with scenes from a taped rehearsal. WHY! I mean, the whole point of the production was it was LIVE and so why not just stick the live version on dvd without these edits."

2. The show was originally broadcast live. The BBFC website says they passed the work uncut, but according to the reviewer quote above, the accompanying booklet in their copy explains that some mistakes in the live broadcast were replaced with other takes filmed during rehearsals. I have also found a web page which lists a large number of alterations in the DVD version compared with the original live broadcast:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2015/12/the-qu ... xperiment/

I cannot confirm the accuracy of this web page, but it seems quite comprehensive, so you might want to include a link to it (suggested wording below). Presumably these changes were done before submitting the work to the BBFC who then passed this revised work uncut.

My suggestion is that you explain all of this in the 'Cuts' section of the web page as follows (though feel free to change the wording if you wish):

No cuts as such, but the show was originally broadcast live, and has subsequently had many alterations made for this DVD release. This was done as an attempt to fix minor mistakes made during the live performance and make other small improvements. Changes include replacing one entire scene with the recorded rehearsal of that scene, plus lots of other minor edits and shot substitutions. In addition, the entire movie has been regraded to give it a greener hue. For more details please see: http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2015/12/the-qu ... xperiment/ .
Darrel_Griffin

Re: The Quatermass Experiment (2005) (BBC TV movie) DVD

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 25 Sep 2017 15:49

Thank you for the notes. Added it!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests