RED SCORPION (R2 Splendid Film Germany)

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

RED SCORPION (R2 Splendid Film Germany)

Postby Adrian_Busby » 26 May 2012 20:31

Oops - deleted the thread in error - so here is a text version from a cached google copy...

RED SCORPION (R2 Splendid Film Germany) (IN PROGRESS)

A place to post your own comparisons for inclusion in our database. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.
Moderator: Forum Team

11 posts • Page 1 of 1
RED SCORPION (R2 Splendid Film Germany) (IN PROGRESS)

Postby Davy_Lee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am

Title: RED SCORPION
Region: 2
Distributor: SPLENDID FILM
Case Type: STEELBOOK
Aspect Ratio: 1.77: 1
Anamorphic?: YES
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: German 5.1 DD , English 2.0 D Stereo
Subtitles (are they optional?): German (optional)
Cuts: 101' (NONE)
Commentaries: NONE
Extras: Trailers for THE EXPENDABLES, LEGEND OF THE FIST, THE MAN FROM NOWHERE, VAMPIRE NATION
Notes: Includes a 16-page booklet in German that contains an essay on the production of the film, its restoration and Dolph Lundgren's filmography
Easter Eggs: NONE
Source: I own it
Davy_Lee

Re: RED SCORPION (R2 Splendid Film Germany) (IN PROGRESS)

Postby Oliver_Wicks » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 am

I will take this one.
Wise man once say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!!- Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:56 pm

This edition IS cut.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Davy_Lee » Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 am

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

This edition IS cut.

I just watched it 2 days ago. I recall clearly the following scenes, which are quoted to be cut, are present:

Uncut Version:
- 00:11 Alternate Opening Credits (S.G.E. Presents)(Didn't notice but this is negligible)
- 64:26 Extended Scene: Tribe sings and dances while Gao examines Nikolai Rachenko. (0.30) (Yes)
- 67:37 Extended Scene: Soldiers walk into village with flame throwers, villagers run away while the soldiers burn down village. (0.53) (Yes)
- Nikolai being tortured with metal needles. (Yes. Nikolai strangles the torturer with the hand chain before he is pierced with the fourth needle)
- 80:36 Extended Scene: Nikolai Rachenko eating chicken at fire. (0.03) (Yes. I believe it's a boar because this scene follows the boar hunting scene)
- 96:30 Alternate sequence: After Nikolai Rachenko enters the building and shoots a dozen soldiers, we see a long fight sequence with the rebel forces, (Not sure regarding "a dozen soldiers" and "a long fight sequence" but Nikolai does shoot a few soldiers and there is a fight sequence) and see Kallunda come out of a tent and shoot 1 soldier then another 3 soldiers on a rooftop. Nikolai takes off his bandana and hits a soldier from the bar fight in the face. (Yes. The man with the broken nose)
- 97:49 Extended Scene: Nikolai Rachenko slowly walks up stairs and down hallway to Colonel Zayas's office. (0.27) (Not sure but he does break into the Colonel's office and take the huge machine gun)
- Nikolai Shoots off colonel Zayas's arm.(Yes)
- 99:39 Additional blood squirts out of Colonel Zayas arm, as it is blasted off by Nikolai. (0.005) (Didn't notice. But this cut is negligible in my opinion)

To be exact, the run time is 100:53. I'm wondering what is cut?
Davy_Lee

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 am

German DVDs are always cut, everytime something is missing. I don't understand why you even bought this edition...

runtime is 100:53

The most complete Nordic edition is only 98:28. Why is it so long? NTSC->PAL I guess.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Davy_Lee » Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 am

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:German DVDs are always cut, everytime something is missing. I don't understand why you even bought this edition...

runtime is 100:53

The most complete Nordic edition is only 98:28. Why is it so long? NTSC->PAL I guess.

I bought this because:

1. It is uncut (that's what the reviewers said) and I believe so as I've just watched it. :-D
2. I love the steelbook cover! The best there is. Captures the mood of the film.
3. I'm planning to double dip. The upcoming Synapse blu-ray/dvd combo is the second best with regards to its contents.
4. If there is any cut, I believe it's minor. Don't mind that.

Btw, I got this info from us.imdb.com: Run time is 105 min . Germany: 98 min (cut version) . This German dvd runs 100:53 (which is the PAL conversion of the 105 min.). So this is uncut. :)
Davy_Lee

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 am

1. It is uncut (that's what the reviewers said) and I believe so as I've just watched it.

Hardly.

2. I love the steelbook cover! The best there is. Captures the mood of the film.

I hate steelbooks! Just can't stand them. You're in luck if your box isn't scratched or smashed. I always got bad cases so I quit buying them a long time ago.

3. I'm planning to double dip. The upcoming Synapse blu-ray/dvd combo is the second best with regards to its contents.

Synapse BR is a joke. Don't buy it. Piss poor quality of video and audio. And the transfer is badly cropped at all sides.
Plus the movie itself is incomplete. Some scenes are still missing.

The complete version was never released on any DVD. And never will even on BR and the new upcoming format.
But I can't stand this movie so it doesn't bother me a bit.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby djvaso » Wed May 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
1. It is uncut (that's what the reviewers said) and I believe so as I've just watched it.

Hardly.

I hate steelbooks! Just can't stand them. You're in luck if your box isn't scratched or smashed. I always got bad cases so I quit buying them a long time ago.

Synapse BR is a joke. Don't buy it. Piss poor quality of video and audio. And the transfer is badly cropped at all sides.
Plus the movie itself is incomplete. Some scenes are still missing.

The complete version was never released on any DVD. And never will even on BR and the new upcoming format.
But I can't stand this movie so it doesn't bother me a bit.

How could you comment a future release if you haven't insider information? All Blu-ray releases so far (Splendid, Arrow, Dutch FilmWorks) have the same running time.
djvaso

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 pm

How could you comment a future release if you haven't insider information?

Who says I don't? That issue is a crap and that's it.
Maybe in 2025 someone will release a high quality edition with properly done transfer and sound mix.

All Blu-ray releases so far (Splendid, Arrow, Dutch FilmWorks) have the same running time.

So? It's not the full version which runs almost 116 min.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 am

Jim, are you thinking about the US Simitar release? Because that release is probably the one with the terrible picture quality. Including the new Synapse release, there are 3 releases:

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?has=re ... ion*rgn_us

And even though it's not released, I know for a fact that the Synapse release will have a good transfer. They said it got a 2k restoration. Synapse has not failed yet.
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am

Jim, are you thinking about the US Simitar release

No, I'm talking exactly about that new Synapse version.

I know for a fact that the Synapse release will have a good transfer. They said it got a 2k restoration. Synapse has not failed yet.

The transfer is very soft with lots of DNR, plus it's badly cropped. OAR is 1:33, not 1:85. The movie was shot at 4x3.
And the sound mix is bad, like on the Nordic edition. Stereo track is the only way to watch the movie.

Synapse has not failed yet.

That's what they do, they fail all the time. Never liked any of their editions...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

I met this six year old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devil's eyes. - Dr Loomis, Halloween.
Adrian_Busby
Former Rewind Staff

Return to Reference