Arrow Films thread

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: Arrow summer slate

Postby Samuel_Scott » 22 Oct 2013 18:06

Arrow will reveal every Jan/Feb/March 2014 release they have planned on Thursday. Arrow are doing great things right now. A company that has truly improved a lot from their early doors. They are like the opposite of Anchor Bay, who have gone massively down hill IMO.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Oct 2013 14:05

Titles announced:
Hell Comes to Frogtown
Hellgate
Frivolous Lola
Cheeky
The Phantom of the Paradise
The Killers
The Stuff
Blind Woman's Curse
Sullivan's Travels
White of the Eye
Pit Stop (Jack Hill)

Highlight for me is The Stuff!
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jan 2014 16:14

In case anyone missed it, Hell Comes to Frogtown and Hellgate will be limited to 1000 copies each. Got my order in already.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 09 Jan 2014 16:29

Arrow are still releasing raw stuff. My buddy got a bunch of their products not so long time ago... all bad. He sworn never to buy their crap again.
Well, I've learnt the lesson a long time ago.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jan 2014 17:57

Your buddy hasn't a clue. I have the vast majority of their releases, and although they had issues pre-2012 (some of their early Blu-ray releases are horrendous), they had a good 2012, and their 2013 releases were astonishing. Easily one of the best independent studios going right now, and the biggest positive turn around I've ever seen.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 09 Jan 2014 18:58

Arrow is probably the best independent BD company in the UK at the moment. Really great work.

Ps. "Zombie Flesh Eaters" is sold out from Arrow ( http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/zombie-fles ... d-edition/ ), but you can still get it from e.g. Amazon.uk. About the restoration:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/some ... white.html

EDIT: Ah, the "normal" edition is not OOP, it seems. Our site says: "Limited to 500 copies and only available through Arrow's website, the release will come with a slipcase." Sam, do you know more?
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 09 Jan 2014 21:25

Your buddy hasn't a clue. I have the vast majority of their releases, and although they had issues pre-2012 (some of their early Blu-ray releases are horrendous), they had a good 2012, and their 2013 releases were astonishing. Easily one of the best independent studios going right now, and the biggest positive turn around I've ever seen.

Well, maybe you're right, but I don't trust'em anyway.

Arrow is probably the best independent BD company in the UK at the moment. Really great work.

I just wish the censorship in the UK wasn't that heavy. Lots of generally good releases were ruined by it...

Ps. "Zombie Flesh Eaters" is sold out from Arrow ( http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/zombie-fles ... d-edition/ ), but you can still get it from e.g. Amazon.uk. About the restoration: http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/some ... white.html

I got it from Blue Underground which is so far the best in A/V departement. AFAIK that one from Arrow is badly cut with some A/V sync issues.
I was thinking about getting it, but decided not to test the fate.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jan 2014 22:54

Jari_Kovalainen wrote:EDIT: Ah, the "normal" edition is not OOP, it seems. Our site says: "Limited to 500 copies and only available through Arrow's website, the release will come with a slipcase." Sam, do you know more?

Yep, Arrow releases come with a limited edition slipcase first, then are released normally afterwards. I'll update this tomorrow.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Jan 2014 00:02

Updated that note.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 11 Jan 2014 00:36

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:I got it from Blue Underground which is so far the best in A/V departement. AFAIK that one from Arrow is badly cut with some A/V sync issues.
I was thinking about getting it, but decided not to test the fate.

Jim, the first Arrow disc was indeed missing a brief part of a shot in the sequence just after the opening credits (the opening of the shot of the boat entering the harbour), but they corrected that with a second pressing. Everything else is intact: there are no cuts at all. I've got both the BU and Arrow Blu-ray releases of ZOMBIE, and I can assure you that the corrected Arrow release is a definite improvement over the BU disc - not a huge improvement, admittedly, but enough to make it a very satisfying release and my 'go to' presentation of the film.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Jan 2014 01:29

Our interview with Arrow has now been finished and will be up soon. Surprisingly insightful and very open. A nice little bit of exclusive news too :wink:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Jan 2014 10:39

the corrected Arrow release is a definite improvement over the BU disc - not a huge improvement, admittedly, but enough to make it a very satisfying release and my 'go to' presentation of the film.

And what exactly was improved there? It still has that poor 5.1 mix.

Ok, I'll get that disc in a few days. I'll see what was "improved". Though I can't imagine what possibly could be imroved over that BU disc, which is as good as it gets.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 11 Jan 2014 13:35

Read the link. Some information about the restoration (Zombie Flesh Eaters).
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 11 Jan 2014 20:29

Btw. Arrow store has some good discounts and the shipping is free (in Europe, at least) for the orders 50£ or more. You'll also get some "reward points". So check it out:
http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... ry&path=66
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Jan 2014 20:44

the shipping is free (in Europe, at least)

They don't even ship to Russia or Ukraine...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Paul_Lewis » 11 Jan 2014 23:58

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
the corrected Arrow release is a definite improvement over the BU disc - not a huge improvement, admittedly, but enough to make it a very satisfying release and my 'go to' presentation of the film.

And what exactly was improved there? It still has that poor 5.1 mix.

The new transfer's an improvement; the encode is a fair bit better; it doesn't include a faux-5.1 mix, but rather uncompressed (LPCM) mono audio (both in English and Italian, with a 'proper' English translation of the Italian track in the subtitles) - the BU only features the original mono audio track in lossy Dolby Digital; the exposure of the full 2-perf negative also led to an 'opening up' of the compositions, with more information on the left and right hand sides of the frame in comparison with BU's Blu.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 Jan 2014 00:14

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
the shipping is free (in Europe, at least)

Where can you see their shipping destinations ? Does one needs to be logged in to see ? I wonder if Estonia is in Europe for them and if they ship there. :-D
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 12 Jan 2014 01:54

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

Yes they do, check again. Just tested and their shop showed both destinations as available.
Just add an item into your shopping cart, then go view your cart and select the option "Estimate shipping and taxes" down on the page. Choose the destination country and region/state. Both Russian Federation and Ukraine can be found from the dropdown list, each with numerous regions.

Sculder wrote:Where can you see their shipping destinations ? Does one needs to be logged in to see ? I wonder if Estonia is in Europe for them and if they ship there. :-D

No need to log in.. just do the same I ask Jim to do above. And I checked Estonia too, it's in their available destinations with 15 regions to choose from.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 Jan 2014 03:21

OK thanks. I think I can come up with £50 worth of discs I want from Arrow. I`ve been wanting to get "Big Trouble in Little China", "Django, Prepare a Coffin" and "Runaway Train" from them, just been waiting for a good price on Amazon.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 12 Jan 2014 12:17

both in English and Italian, with a 'proper' English translation of the Italian track in the subtitles

Why even adding Italian track, the movie is in English? Actors they do speak in English, right? I mean the Italian track is nothing more then a dub.
Or am I missing something?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion