Question regarding Luc Besson's "Lucy" on Blu-ray

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Question regarding Luc Besson's "Lucy" on Blu-ray

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 22 Nov 2016 00:33

The site says:

"French release for the extras, though do note French subtitles are forced (and non-English dialogue is NOT English friendly)."

My understanding is that forced subtitles mean that they are turned on by default but can be turned off manually. Is that correct?

As for the non-English dialogue not being English friendly; what does that mean exactly? I remember the movie having foreign dialogue. Is it dubbed into French or something on this Blu-ray? And there's no English subs whatsoever? Not even for the foreign dialogue?
Matthew_Hardwick

Re: Question regarding Luc Besson's "Lucy" on Blu-ray

Postby Samuel_Scott » 22 Nov 2016 00:59

Matthew_Hardwick wrote:My understanding is that forced subtitles mean that they are turned on by default but can be turned off manually. Is that correct?

No. It means they are forced and cannot be removed whilst watching the film. This is unfortunately quite common with French releases.

As for the non-English dialogue not being English friendly; what does that mean exactly? I remember the movie having foreign dialogue. Is it dubbed into French or something on this Blu-ray? And there's no English subs whatsoever? Not even for the foreign dialogue?

It means that any non-English dialogue is in the original language as per the theatrical release (French/Korean/Mandarin), but without any option of English subtitles (thereby not friendly if you require an English option of some form).
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 22 Nov 2016 01:57

Well I have the French Blu-ray for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead which has forced subtitles, and they can be turned off manually. Maybe update that Blu-ray accordingly?
This site's definition of forced subtitles differs from what I've known for a while. Subtitles that cannot be turned off are usually called "hardcoded subtitles".

That's a shame, there really should be English subtitles included. Guess it's the UK Universal release for the movie itself for me then, then maybe the French release for the additional extras. Thanks for the help. 8)
Matthew_Hardwick

Postby Samuel_Scott » 22 Nov 2016 09:04

Matthew_Hardwick wrote:Well I have the French Blu-ray for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead which has forced subtitles, and they can be turned off manually. Maybe update that Blu-ray accordingly?.

I'll PM Vincent as he added this release from his copy!

This site's definition of forced subtitles differs from what I've known for a while. Subtitles that cannot be turned off are usually called "hardcoded subtitles"

You often see them referred to as Forced, Hardcoded, or Non-removable. All generally self-explanatory (first time it has come up in over ten years :wink: ), and all different from Burnt-in. :)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 22 Nov 2016 16:06

Forced, Hardcoded, Non-removable and Burnt-in all mean the same thing to me. :lol:
Matthew_Hardwick

Postby Samuel_Scott » 22 Nov 2016 16:08

Burnt-in means it is actually part of the source print. I have some annoying old Hong Kong releases which not only have burnt in subtitles, but they have them in more than one language at the same time! :lol:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 22 Nov 2016 23:04

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Matthew_Hardwick wrote:Well I have the French Blu-ray for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead which has forced subtitles, and they can be turned off manually. Maybe update that Blu-ray accordingly?.

I'll PM Vincent as he added this release from his copy!

Double checked, but there are only two options from the menu (French and English with French subtitles) and I'm unable manually to remove French subtitles...
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 23 Nov 2016 06:20

The French are notoriously proud of their own language and dismissive of the English one. That seems to be the reasoning behind the way their BDs and DVDs are authored anyway :lol: :lol:
Alister_Manson

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 29 Nov 2016 04:04

Guess we got lucky with their Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray then, because the forced French subtitles can in fact be removed manually, both on my PC and on my PS4.
Matthew_Hardwick

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion