Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, uncut status?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, uncut status?

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 06 Jan 2017 00:24

The main site says the German Blu-ray from Concorde is uncut, which it is.

It also says:

"Blu-ray ALL Germany- Concorde - No Cuts (94:40)."
"Blu-ray ALL United Kingdom- Three Wolves - No Cuts (94:42 - 24fps to 25fps transfer)."
"Blu-ray B United Kingdom- Optimum Releasing - No Cuts (94:39)."

I'm assuming this means the version of the film that was given to Three Wolves/Optimum Releasing for the UK Blu-ray received no cuts and it is in fact the PG-13 version? They're both practically the same runtime as the German Blu-ray though.

The transfer for the German Blu-ray is vastly inferior to the US Blu-ray, but the US is PG-13 so I bought the German for the uncut status. How do the UK Blu-rays hold up in comparison? Are their transfers better? Are they uncut?
Matthew_Hardwick

Re: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, uncut statu

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Jan 2017 10:52

The UK Three Wolves release is a completely cocked up transfer. It is 25fps but suffers a real horrible judder throughout to play at the speed of a 24fps transfer even though it isn't one.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 08 Jan 2017 00:55

Yikes. Do we know if it's uncut? Not that it matters if the transfer is bad. :lol:

I'm really curious about the Optimum Blu now.
Matthew_Hardwick

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Jan 2017 02:14

Optimum Blu-ray doesn't look great either, but is 1080p and doesn't suffer the judder issue. It is the one I currently have. AFAIK, a decent looking release doesn't exist on Blu. Both are uncut.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 11 Jan 2017 23:33

The US release looks good but is the PG-13 cut.

Does "uncut"mean the Christian Slater scenes are intact?
Matthew_Hardwick

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Jan 2017 03:38

It includes these scenes missing from pg-13 version

- Evel Knievel is not among the celebrities frozen in cryo-stasis alongside Austin.
- Right after one of Dr. Evil's security guards is crushed by a steam roller driven by Austin and Vanessa, we don't see the security guard's family being notified of his death.
- After another guard has his head eaten by ill-tempered mutated sea bass, we don't see his friends, hosting a surprise Bachelor's Party at a Hooters, being notified of his death.
- Austin's fight with Random Task is shorter: we don't see Austin reaching for a knife, a candlestick and a coral rake during the fight. And after Vanessa hits Random Task with a champagne bottle, Austin should say: "Smashing!".
- When Austin and Vanessa are taking photos of Random Task holding Mr. Bigglesworth, Austin says "I never forget a pussy... cat". The pause between "pussy" and "cat" is much shorter in this version. This scene is not only edited differently, it's two different takes.
- The scene where Basil introduces Vanessa to Austin is little bit shorter. In the European version, Basil says to Austin "Be careful" and Austin replies "Thanks!".
- The scene in which Christian Slater plays a security guard who's hypnotized by Austin Powers and ordered to go buy him some orange sherbet, as well as his very brief apperance at the end during the collapse of Dr Evil's hideout, have been removed.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Nick_Wilson » 12 Jan 2017 06:45

Of the "International" versions (with the extra scenes incorporated into the movie) they are all fudge-jobs, which seem to be upscaled. The UK Three Wolves edition is the one to avoid, as it's at PAL speed.

It then becomes a toss-up between the German copy (with a decent amount of extras, but brighter image) or the UK Optimum release (no extras at all, but darker, more natural image. Still a waxy, fudge-job but easier to watch).
Nick_Wilson

Postby Matthew_Hardwick » 12 Jan 2017 23:35

Optimum it is then. I have the uncut German release which looks okay once you get used to it, and it has exclusive extras. I also have the US trilogy set; PG-13. Looks like 3 copies of IMoM is the way to get everything. Glad the other 2 films aren't like this. :lol: Thanks for the help, guys. :drinking:
Matthew_Hardwick

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Jan 2017 05:38

If the long rumoured fourth film ever gets actually made, then hopefully we will see some decent versions!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Nick_Wilson » 21 Jan 2017 11:45

Samuel_Scott wrote:If the long rumoured fourth film ever gets actually made, then hopefully we will see some decent versions!

It'll be out right alongside the pristine new transfers of the Star Trek movies and London After Midnight.

New Line only handle the US release, and they have it pegged at PG-13, so as to make it more commercial. They wouldn't want to release an R-rated edition because it might taint the brand, nor would they bring it out unrated, as the sale of New Line to Warner means than this isn't going to happen. Warner rarely bring out unrated editions, except for "prestige" titles like Eyes Wide Shut, Natural Born KIllers, etc and this is strictly on a case-by-case basis. This is why John Waters is not happy for them to own his notorious films, as they won't bring them out, nor licence them to other companies. This bullheaded attitude also stops an international company having access to the vault materials and re-editing their own extended/uncensored editions of movies they own the rights to in other territories.

As much as a gorgeous, 20th anniversary remaster of the international version of Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery would be great, it isn't going to happen.
Nick_Wilson

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion