In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Noor_Razzak » 21 May 2017 17:01

Colossal - This was a pretty solid movie, not a bad effort for stretching out a single metaphor into a full feature narrative. Terrific casting, they all deliver solid performances especially leads Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis. Interesting story, some humour thrown in for good measure and a monster that destroys Seoul... I'd watch it again for sure. 7/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 21 May 2017 17:40

Hmmm I'm interested to see that one too.

I plan to spend tomorrow in cinema, so far it looks like I'll be watching:
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 3D
- Alien: Covenant
- Snatched
- The Circle

Too bad Colossal and Free Fire are already off the schedule for that cinema :cry:
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 21 May 2017 17:48

Let me know what you think of Snatched! I'd like to catch that one later in the week. :)
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 22 May 2017 22:58

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 3D (2017) Loved this one. Did not like some choices they made but still 9/10
Alien: Covenant (2017) Liked it but looks like a lot of footage was left out from this one. 8/10
Snatched (2017) If you like Amy Schumer's jokes you will love it. And I did. Not sure what some people are bitching & moaning about 8/10
The Circle (2017) After seeing trailer for this in front of every movie I thought it will be a tech thriller but found out it was just a lame drama with crappy story 5/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 23 May 2017 15:07

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Snatched (2017) If you like Amy Schumer's jokes you will love it. And I did. Not sure what some people are bitching & moaning about 8/10

Went to this one this afternoon. Thought it was a pretty average comedy. Some decent jokes, but a lot fell flat for me too. Not too big a fan of Schumer's TV/stand-up stuff but did enjoy Trainwreck. I would place this between the two. 3/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 26 May 2017 17:19

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge 3D (2017) - This was OK. 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 30 May 2017 17:29

Baywatch - Disappointing overall. CGI poor throughout and a lot of the humour did miss the mark. Could have been as fun as 21 Jump Street, but just kind of fell short into mediocrity. I do think it was well cast though. 2.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 30 May 2017 17:36

Samuel_Scott wrote:Baywatch - Disappointing overall. CGI poor throughout and a lot of the humour did miss the mark. Could have been as fun as 21 Jump Street, but just kind of fell short into mediocrity. I do think it was well cast though. 2.5/5

Were all the funny parts used in trailers?
21 Jump Street (and Neighbours 2) had some shitty CGI also. I don't get why they do these movies like that, most of the movie is OK and then sneak in horrible CGI. Takes you right out of the film. :(
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 30 May 2017 17:45

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Were all the funny parts used in trailers?

Yep. :(

The CGI is laughably bad considering the budget. The boat fire near the start looked ridiculously poor.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 05 Jun 2017 19:55

Wonder Woman (2017) - 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 06 Jun 2017 02:37

Wonder Woman - Finally a DCU movie that didn't completely suck! Wonder Woman was a rousing good time, excellent casting, performances, action, spectacle. The epic sequences where well shot and engaging, the story was well plotted and executed. There where some moments that didn't quite fit (the shopping for clothes scene in London kind felt out of place, it really took me out of the film). Otherwise it was worth seeing. 7/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Jun 2017 08:22

Noor_Razzak wrote:There where some moments that didn't quite fit (the shopping for clothes scene in London kind felt out of place, it really took me out of the film).

I thought this was quite a funny scene, and a good way in bringing Wonder Woman to that environment in a quick and enjoyable manner. Agree with everything else you said. Really enjoyed this one. An 8/10 for me.

Next week is The Mummy. Someone told me they really liked the original the other day. Took me a few minutes they meant the Brendan Fraser film (they were 17). :lol:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 06 Jun 2017 17:50

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Noor_Razzak wrote:There where some moments that didn't quite fit (the shopping for clothes scene in London kind felt out of place, it really took me out of the film).

I thought this was quite a funny scene, and a good way in bringing Wonder Woman to that environment in a quick and enjoyable manner. Agree with everything else you said. Really enjoyed this one. An 8/10 for me.

I liked the shopping scene but what I didn't like is the bloodless sword ... or well all of the action.

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Next week is The Mummy. Someone told me they really liked the original the other day. Took me a few minutes they meant the Brendan Fraser film (they were 17). :lol:

:lol:

So far I have liked the trailers for this new Mummy. I hope they do well with these new Dark Universe films.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 Jun 2017 21:08

The Mummy 3D (2017) - I liked it. 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Jun 2017 21:19

Ain_Uussaar wrote:The Mummy (2017) - I liked it. 7/10

Seeing this in 3D tomorrow. 8)
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Jun 2017 15:21

The Mummy - It was good, but not great IMO. Some impressive effects and decent set pieces but I didn't really think the two leads gelled anywhere near as much as Rachel Weisz and Brendan Fraser. A solid 3/5 though.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Jul 2017 12:16

Baby Driver - What a blast this was. Edgar Wright has made an extremely fun action/crime movie with a solid cast. Jamie Foxx absolutely nailed it. A very solid 4/5.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 02 Jul 2017 17:58

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell no Tales - I went to see this last week finally after a few weeks of release, the critics where not kind to this film, but I thought it wasn't as bad as they said. Overall it was an enjoyable popcorn action-adventure film, check your brain at the door and have a fun time. I'm definitely feeling the franchise fatigue and don't know how much more of Jack Sparrow we can take, but if this is the last one it's not a terrible way to end. 6.5/10

Baby Driver - I love Edgar Wright and walking away from Ant Man was the best decision he's made, because of that we have Baby Driver. What a terrific film, it's got a music driven narrative that drives each scene, it's a fantastic time, great cast, great action scenes, totally fun from start to finish. This is easily the best movie I've seen this summer... maybe so far all year. 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 10 Jul 2017 23:21

Spider-man: Homecoming - I saw this on opening night at IMAX 3D, if you see this movie make sure it's in this format. I was really hoping this film would be a knockout, all things considered Tom Holland made quite the impression as the new Spidey in Captain America: Civil War. He is by far the best cast Peter Parker/Spider-man so far and this Marvel and Sony co-production does the character justice. After two previous let downs Spider-man returns to his former glory and delivers a solid, fun, action packed return. I was glad they didn't do another origin story, this film takes place right after Civil War and Peter has been Spidey for about a year. The new characters are terrific, I didn't mind at all that the usuals of Harry, Gwen, etc were not in this film. There are some flaws, plot-wise, and also some beats that didn't quote work or where rushed, I also don't really like that the suit is a Stark design... but small gripes aside I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Worth seeing in the biggest format you can find! 9/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Jul 2017 14:09

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Unfortunately due to being insanely busy recently I missed the chance to see this in 3D and to be honest, I wasn't going to bother because the trailer looked mediocre at best. However, the good reviews re-ignited my need to see it, and I wasn't disappointed. As good as Maguire's first two Spidey films? No. But a very solid 8/10 for me.

Tonight, the new Apes film in 3D.
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion