New york ripper USA blu-ray DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

New york ripper USA blu-ray DONE

Postby Åsmund_Utvik » 11 Jul 2018 06:05

https://hypnoticcrescendos.blogspot.com ... scene.html

"The Another World Entertainment and Blue Underground Blu-Ray releases contains this scene but inserted where it presumably was supposed to be"

This one says the scene is missing.
http://www.dvdexotica.com/2015/12/the-n ... mbled.html
Åsmund_Utvik

Re: New york ripper USA blu-ray

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jul 2018 13:29

Is anyone familiar enough with this film to know what to update?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: New york ripper USA blu-ray FAO Can anyone help?

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 06 Jan 2019 23:10

I must admit I've never seen the movie, but I do own a copy of the Blue Underground Blu-ray - I just haven't got round to watching it yet!

The total runtime on my Blu-ray is 92:59, as per the existing database entry.

I've not checked the end scenes as I don't want to spoil it for myself, but I have checked the scene that runs from 43:55 to 44:42. It consists of a single shot of two characters (apparently Williams and Davies) standing by the road talking, then the camera pans left and follows Williams as he gets into a car and drives off, with Davies being out of shot by that point. Next, at 44:42, it cuts to a night scene. 44:42 is presumably where the "freeze frame" shot might have been, but on my copy at any rate there is NO "freeze frame" shot, indeed no further shots at all - not of Davies nor anything else - in this scene.

Comparing this scene with the still image shown on the above websites, the location is the same and the clothes Davies is wearing also match, so presumably it was shot at the same time as this scene.

Where the "freeze frame" shot is actually intended to be placed in the movie - if anywhere - is not known to me, although the possible explanation on dvdexotica.com that it was meant for the end of an 'act' (at about 44:42) when shown in cinemas, followed by a refreshment break, sounds very plausible to me.

I guess it's also possible that, at a later date, someone made a deliberate decision to add the shot in near the end of the movie (despite it apparently not matching very well there) as part of a 'director's cut' or 'producer's cut' or whatever, so this apparent 'misplacing' of the shot might have been intentional, even if it wasn't originally intended to be there. As I have researched movies, I have gradually come to the conclusion that I think hardly any movies exist in the world that don't have multiple versions!!!

If anyone out there owns the Shameless Blu-ray, it's worth checking on that, as it seems likely to include the "freeze frame" shot. I've also noticed that it includes the Italian soundtrack as well as some additional footage not on the Blue Underground Blu-ray, plus some exclusive extras, so I might buy it myself at some point, even though it is a bit censored.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: New york ripper USA blu-ray FAO Staff and others

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Jan 2019 12:02

Thank you Darrel.

Calling staff, who knows what and how to update about this? This thread has been open for far too long.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 14 Jan 2019 12:00

I've just ordered the Shameless Blu-ray, should arrive by the end of the week, so I can check whether it has the "freeze frame" shot and let you know. Although it's probably not really feasible for me to do a complete comparison for the whole movie between the Shameless and Blue Underground releases.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 16 Jan 2019 15:36

Ok, got the Shameless Blu-ray now. Here's some info on it:

1. Yes it contains the "freeze-frame" shot. After the shot of Williams getting into the car and driving off, it cuts back to a reaction shot of Davies, starting at 44:41. He turns away from the camera and starts to walk off, then looks back again, and at this point it freezes at 44:50. This holds unchanged until 44:57, then, still frozen, quickly fades out to black. The next shot starts at 44:58, and is the same night shot as found on the Blue Underground Blu-ray.

Total time for this extra shot is therefore about 17 seconds. This shot is NOT on the Blue Underground release, at least not at this point in the movie.

2. There is a start-up section (4:32) which consists of: Shameless intro (0:46), trailers for "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" (1:21), "Almost Human" (1:03) and "Salon Kitty" (1:12), ending with a screen of text (0:10).

3. Theatrical Trailer runtime is 3:28.

4. The 18:27 Interview is entitled "Beyond Fake Blood".

5. Also includes Shameless Trailer Park - menu of 30 trailers for Shameless releases, which can each be played separately with their own runtime, or all together using the Play All option (39:06).

I can list all the trailers and runtimes if you wish, but it would take me a while. Basically it is the usual suspects. It includes what seems to be the same trailer for "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" as appears in the start-up section, but the other two start-up trailers are not included.

Currently in the database entry it lists trailers for "Strip Nude for your Killer" and "Manhattan Baby". These are both present, but only within this Trailer Park along with the 28 others, so these should be removed unless all 30 trailers are listed.

6. When selecting Play, it first plays with an intro section (1:19), consisting of scrolling text explaining what shots were cut by the BBFC and the effect on this presentation of the movie (0:47), followed by an introduction by Antonella Fulci (0:32). It then starts the movie.

Note this 1:19 intro is separate and does NOT form part of the runtime of the movie.

7. It has a reversible cover with a choice of 2 artwork pictures and English or Italian title.

8. The cover incorrectly states that the runtime is 90:25 (this is roughly what it would have been if it were 25fps, but it is 24fps).

9. As already stated in the database, despite the compulsory BBFC cuts, this release still has some footage not on the Blue Underground release, but I cannot easily determine the details. But note that the scrolling text in the intro section I mentioned in point 6 above states that all BBFC cuts were substituted with reaction shots from the same scene, so these substitutions should have no effect on the runtime.

10. All other existing details for the Shameless Blu-ray are correct to the best of my knowledge.

11. On both the DVD and Blu-ray pages for this movie, the general note at the bottom contains a typo: suffled -> shuffled (I assume).

I wasn't planning to watch the movie yet, but if you want me to check whether the "freeze-frame" appears near the end of the Blue Underground release, let me know and I will prioritise watching it so I can report back. I don't want to check without watching it first as I've never seen it before and don't want to spoil the ending for myself.
Last edited by Darrel_Griffin on 24 Jan 2019 08:03, edited 2 times in total.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 18 Jan 2019 08:43

Ok, curiosity got the better of me, and I have now watched the Blue Underground release. Good movie!

Anyway, I can confirm that the "freeze frame" shot does NOT appear anywhere in the Blue Underground release.

This also means that about 0:17 of the extra runtime on the Shameless release is due to this "freeze frame" shot. This still leaves about 1:01 of additional runtime on the Shameless release that is so far unaccounted for. As I previously mentioned, the BBFC cuts to the Shameless release do NOT affect the runtime, as according to the intro text note they have all been substituted with other shots of the same length.

I will watch the Shameless release at some point, but I can't be sure I will notice where the extra footage is. If I do spot anything, I will report back.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Rick_Curzon » 18 Jan 2019 20:14

Are there any extra logos at the beginning or the end of the film? That can account for discrepancies.
Rick_Curzon
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 19 Jan 2019 09:21

I've just checked both discs. Neither has any logos at the start nor at the end. However, these IS a difference at the end. On both discs the credits scroll off the top of the screen and the background image quickly fades to black. On the Blue Underground Blu-ray the movie ends at this point, but on the Shameless Blu-ray the music continues over a black screen for about an extra 16 seconds.

In summary, so far I have found the following extra footage on the Shameless Blu-ray:

1. the "freeze frame" shot (about 0:17)

2. music on black screen at the end (about 0:16)

Bearing in mind also that the censored shots have been substituted, this still leaves about 0:45 of other extra footage on the Shameless Blu-ray that is unaccounted for.
Last edited by Darrel_Griffin on 21 Jan 2019 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 21 Jan 2019 10:53

Ok I think I've finally solved most of the difference in runtime.

1. On the Blue Underground disc, the end credits start at 91:32. On the Shameless disc they start at 91:53. This is a difference of 0:21. 0:17 of this is due to the "freeze frame" shot mentioned previously. This leaves about 0:04 difference, which could well be just the odd few frames at the start/end of various shots.

2. The rest of the runtime difference occurs during and after the end credits. The end credits run over a freeze frame of the New York skyline:

On the Blue Underground disc, the end credits run from 91:32 to 92:56, totalling 1:24.

On the Shameless disc, the end credits run from 91:53 to 94:01, totalling 2:08. The reason for this is that the end credits have been slowed down, with clear 'interlacing' style artifacts in the text.

difference = 0:44

The Blue Underground disc also has about 0:03 of black at the end. The Shameless disc has about 0:16 of black with the music continuing.

difference = 0:13

In summary:

Apart from the Shameless censor cuts which apparently cause no runtime difference due to shot substitution, there are the following differences that increase the runtime on the Shameless disc:

"freeze frame" shot: +0:17
additional 4 seconds during the movie (details unknown): +0:04
slowed down end credits (with additional music): +0:44
additional black at the end (with additional music): +0:13

total difference: +1:18

Please also remember to update the database with the other corrections/additions I mentioned previously on 16th Jan, and let me know if you want details of the Shameless Trailer Park.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 24 Jan 2019 07:12

I decided to get the details for the Shameless Trailer Park too (which is on the Shameless Blu-ray):

Shameless Trailer Park:
- Play All (39:06)
- New York Ripper (0:58)
- Phantom of Death (0:57)
- Killer Nun (0:57)
- Torso (0:58)
- Venus in Furs (0:57)
- The Black Cat (1:00)
- Flavia the Heretic (1:39)
- Manhattan Baby (1:49)
- Night Train Murders (1:18)
- The Frightened Woman (1:16)
- My Dear Killer (1:28)
- Ratman (1:14)
- What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (1:14)
- Who Saw Her Die? (1:52)
- The Designated Victim (1:15)
- Strip Nude for Your Killer (1:29)
- Oasis of Fear (1:22)
- Watch Me When I Kill (1:34)
- Baba Yaga - The Final Cut (1:25)
- Footprints on the Moon (aka Le Orme) (1:23)
- The Bronx Warriors Trilogy (2:56)
- The Love Goddess of the Cannibals (1:11)
- Satan's Baby Doll (1:13)
- The Beast in Space (1:11)
- The Bronx Warriors (0:56)
- Escape from the Bronx (0:51)
- The New Barbarians (0:54)
- Fulci's Box of Terror (2:09)
- New York Ripper - Fan Edition (0:58)
- The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh - Fan Edition (1:25)
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 29 Jan 2019 11:13

As agreed with James, I have collated all of the relevant information from the above thread into this single post, to (hopefully) make it easier to update the pages.

Please note that this is mostly for the Blu-ray page only.

-------
1. Shameless Blu-ray entry updates:

a. Theatrical Trailer runtime is 3:28.

b. update interview entry to: "Beyond Fake Blood" interview with Antonella Fulci and Dardano Sacchetti (18:27)

c. remove: 'Bonus trailers for "The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh", "Almost Human" and "Salon Kitty" '

and replace with (you might wish to format this differently):

Start-up section (4:32) consisting of:
- Shameless intro (0:46)
- trailers:
- "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" (1:21)
- "Almost Human" (1:03)
- "Salon Kitty" (1:12)
- ending with a screen of text (0:10).

d. remove: 'Bonus trailers for "Strip Nude for your Killer" and "Manhattan Baby" '

and replace with:

Shameless Trailer Park:
- Play All (39:06)
- "New York Ripper" (0:58)
- "Phantom of Death" (0:57)
- "Killer Nun" (0:57)
- "Torso" (0:58)
- "Venus in Furs" (0:57)
- "The Black Cat" (1:00)
- "Flavia the Heretic" (1:39)
- "Manhattan Baby" (1:49)
- "Night Train Murders" (1:18)
- "The Frightened Woman" (1:16)
- "My Dear Killer" (1:28)
- "Ratman" (1:14)
- "What Have They Done to Your Daughters?" (1:14)
- "Who Saw Her Die?" (1:52)
- "The Designated Victim" (1:15)
- "Strip Nude for Your Killer" (1:29)
- "Oasis of Fear" (1:22)
- "Watch Me When I Kill" (1:34)
- "Baba Yaga - The Final Cut" (1:25)
- "Footprints on the Moon (aka Le Orme)" (1:23)
- "The Bronx Warriors Trilogy" (2:56)
- "The Love Goddess of the Cannibals" (1:11)
- "Satan's Baby Doll" (1:13)
- "The Beast in Space" (1:11)
- "The Bronx Warriors" (0:56)
- "Escape from the Bronx" (0:51)
- "The New Barbarians" (0:54)
- "Fulci's Box of Terror" (2:09)
- "New York Ripper - Fan Edition" (0:58)
- "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh - Fan Edition" (1:25)

e. When selecting Play, it first plays an Intro section:

Intro section (1:19), consisting of:
- scrolling text explaining what shots were cut by the BBFC and the effect on this presentation of the movie (0:47)
- introduction by Antonella Fulci (0:32).

(It then starts the movie at 0:00, so the intro is separate and does NOT form part of the runtime of the movie.)

f. Change Notes entry to:

Comes with a 6-page booklet containing an essay by Stephen Thrower, and a reversible cover with a choice of 2 artwork pictures and English or Italian title. Cover incorrectly states that the runtime is 90:25.

-------
2. The 'general note' at the bottom of both the DVD and Blu-ray pages needs updating. I recommend the following changes:

a. change:

'most editions' -> 'some editions'
'most DVD editions' -> 'some DVD editions'

b. change runtime of shot: 0:15 -> 0:17

c. correct typo: suffled -> shuffled (I assume).

-------
3. On the Blu-ray page, in the CUTS section , I recommend the following changes:

a. Blue Underground - No censor cuts, but the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) is missing (92:59)

b. XT Video - Unconfirmed. Likely to be missing the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) as per Blue Underground release (92:59).

c. Shameless Screen Entertainment - Yes, cut by 0:29 by the BBFC - "Compulsory cuts were required to remove sexualised violence (a naked and bound woman's stomach and breasts being mutilated with a razor blade) in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Video Recordings Act 1984." These cuts have been substituted with reaction shots and still frames, so do not affect the runtime. Includes the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in the correct position. It also has slowed down end titles and additional black frames at the end with additional end theme music, increasing the runtime by 0:57. See the Cult Labs Forum for further details. (94:17)

('BBFC' (first mention) and 'Cult Labs Forum' should be links to the appropriate web pages)

-------
4. On the Blu-ray page, in the verdict section, I recommend the following changes:

a. In the first paragraph:

(confirmed to be missing on a small scene though, see below) -> (confirmed to be missing the "freeze frame" shot though, see below)

b. The second paragraph should be completely replaced with:

Also please note that the UK edition is cut, but includes the "freeze frame" shot (see below) not found on the US release, and also includes some exclusive extras.

-------
5. The DVD page probably also needs tidying up a bit e.g. in the verdict and 'CUTS' sections it frequently mentions the 'misplaced scene', and these should perhaps be replaced with 'misplaced "freeze frame" shot' or similar.

-------
6. Also note that the Shameless Fan Edition DVD is not currently listed. This is longer than the original Shameless DVD release (although still cut), and probably anamorphic. I don't own it so can't confirm specs, but you could perhaps add a note at the bottom of the DVD page to mention that this release exists.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 12 Sep 2020 06:03

They just added the Blue Underground UltraHD:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=5193
Main Player:Oppo UDP-203 Regional Player:LG BH200 TV:P75QX-H1
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 12 Sep 2020 07:18

My suggested improvements above from 20 months ago still haven't been implemented!
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 12 Sep 2020 12:16

I guess no one is familiar enough to want to take this. I've re-messaged our entire team to see who can do this. (Sorry, not me as I said before)
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 12 Sep 2020 14:58

I'm on this. Bear with me. It may take some time.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 12 Sep 2020 15:11

Right-o, the Blu-ray page is done. Thanks for all that info, Darrel. Could you please take a look at the Blu-ray page, fella, and let me know if anything is missing?

I'll have to dig into the DVD page issue as I don't own the Shameless DVD release personally.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: New york ripper USA blu-ray DONE

Postby Rick_Curzon » 12 Sep 2020 15:53

Don't forget the log Paul!
Rick_Curzon
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 12 Sep 2020 18:58

Rick_Curzon wrote:Don't forget the log Paul!

A-ha, a deliberate error on my part. I wondered if I would catch you out, Rick :D

Good spot. I'll do that now.

(That's what I get for multitasking ;) .)
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 13 Sep 2020 07:01

Thanks Paul.

I had tried to make my notes as easy as possible to use for the updates, so hopefully it wasn't too painful!

Also, since I wrote them, there has been at least one additional release, namely the US Blue Underground 3-disc (although for some reason this addition is not mentioned in the update log).

I have had a quick look at the page, and while I can't be sure I haven't missed anything, I think it mostly looks fine, but there are a few things:

1. Add to the notes of the US Blue Underground 3-disc release that it is a 4K scan from the original camera negative (source: I own it).

2. I would probably change the "Overall" verdict to the US Blue Underground 3-disc release being the winner, and also change paragraph 1 in this section to reflect this. My reasoning is as follows:

I am confused as to whether or not the Austrian release includes the "freeze frame" shot - paragraph 1 states that it does, but the CUTS section states that it is likely to be missing, so this needs addressing. Based on the runtime, I expect it is missing. Personally I usually prefer an uncut release to a cut one with more extras, but then in this particular case, the freeze frame doesn't really add much. However, the US 3-disc release is a 4K scan, plus it has so many more extras - many featurettes plus the soundtrack CD, so I would probably conclude that it is the overall winner regardless of whether or not the Austrian release includes the "freeze frame" shot, but also add a note that the Austrian release includes some exclusive extras (not English-friendly).

I would also recommend changing the following words:

...the misplaced scene intact...

to:

...the "freeze frame" shot (see below) intact...

3. In the "Overall" verdict section, in paragraph 2 regarding the UK release, I would recommend removing the words "not found on the US release", as this is misleading (because while the older US 1-disc release didn't include the "freeze frame" shot, the newer US 3-disc release does include it).

4. In the CUTS section, in the US Blue Underground 3-disc entry, I recommend the following changes so it mentions the "freeze frame" shot, and corrects the typo "itended":

Blu-ray ALL 3-Disc Limited Edition America- Blue Underground - No cuts (93:07) with the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in its intended place at ~44 minutes.

5. In the CUTS section, the UK release could be improved by changing the following words:

Includes the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in the correct position.

to:

Includes the "freeze frame" shot (0:17) in its intended place at ~44 minutes.

so it uses similar wording to the US 3-disc release.

---
As for the DVD page, I didn't create a comprehensive list of suggestions, but certainly the following can be done:

1. Substitute mentions of the 'misplaced scene' with 'misplaced "freeze frame" shot' or similar.

2. Update the "General note" to match the one on the Blu-ray page.

3. Mention the existence of the Shameless Fan Edition DVD, which is not yet listed (it is a different release to the original Shameless DVD), and ask if anyone who owns it
could supply details.

---
Also, as Matthew pointed out, there is the new US Blue Underground 4K UHD release, but I don't own it myself so I can't supply specs.
Darrel_Griffin

Next

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests