Red Dwarf Complete Series 1-8 BD set

A place to request new comparisons. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Forum Team

Red Dwarf Complete Series 1-8 BD set

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Feb 2019 15:18

Anyone got it yet? Apparently only 8 of its 19 discs are BDs, while the rest consist of identical DVDs to those previously issued. I'd like to know exactly what's what, as it sounds like a second, BD-only "Just the Shows" set might be in order, to complement the series 1-8 DVD sets without overlap. It's said to contain the exclusive Bodysnatcher Collection extras on a DVD, but not the remastered episodes themselves.

Various forum posters are reporting encoding issues with discs/series 3 and 5: all of the former and the last 3 episodes of the latter. There's been no official acknowledegment of this as yet.
Brent_Reid

Re: Red Dwarf Complete Series 1-8 BD set

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 30 Apr 2019 14:31

I would also like to see a comparison of this on the database one day.

Also would like to know if the scene mentioned below is included or changed or whatever. I read from other online sources it might be a minor audio-glitch issue on older versions (perhaps the BluRay version corrects this?)

There was suggestion on our forums that the Kryten episode was 'edited' when Rimmer refers to the dead crew of the Nova 5 as "They've got less meat on them than a Chicken Nugget". It was suggested that he actually says a well known branded chicken nugget. That may be what was spoken during filming, but DVD producer Andrew Ellard has said that it must have been edited prior to original transmission and therefore the DVD is the same (and hence not edited).
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Brent_Reid » 30 Apr 2019 15:54

Re Rimmer's line: during filming he said "McNugget" but in all TV transmissions, the DVD series set and the BDs, the "Mc" part is edited out. Strangely though, in the Bodysnatcher Collection, the entire line managed to sneak in!
Brent_Reid

Postby Brent_Reid » 10 Jan 2020 22:37

Remove this thread if you like; though I can't find exact exact specs, there's now sufficient info around the net regarding PQ, faulty discs and replacements, etc, for anyone to make an informed choice. I'm sticking to the DVDs.
Brent_Reid

Return to Comparison Requests