Predator 4K - The Blu-ray discs.

A place to request new comparisons. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Forum Team

Predator 4K - The Blu-ray discs.

Postby Alan_Schaeffer » 30 Jan 2021 18:14

Does anyone know if the Blu-ray transfers in the new Predator 4K set are the good ones or the overly cleaned up versions? I haven't gone 4K yet so I'm only interested in the Blu-ray's for now.

Thanks in advance.
Alan_Schaeffer

Re: Predator 4K - The Blu-ray discs.

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 30 Jan 2021 23:02

I've got the 4K trilogy set and the Predator 1 bluray is the same DNR trainwreck we got with the Ultimate Hunter Edition and the other two use transfers recycled from older DVD releases so are acceptable without being spectacular. The 4K releases are far superior to the DVDs and blurays but if you don't have a 4K TV or player, the blurays are a waste of time since they offer little to no improvement over the DVDs and Predator 1 is completely unwatchable.
Wise man once say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks

Postby Alan_Schaeffer » 30 Jan 2021 23:07

Thanks man.
Alan_Schaeffer

Postby Alister_Manson » 31 Jan 2021 02:22

If you want a watchable BD of Predator you'll have to track down a copy of the original BD. It's mpeg-2 on a single layer so the compression isn't great, but at least it hasn't been smashed with DNR.
Alister_Manson

Postby Alan_Schaeffer » 31 Jan 2021 03:38

I thought the version that wasn't the Ultimate Hunter Edition and
Predator 2 was meant to be good transfers.
Alan_Schaeffer

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 31 Jan 2021 19:24

Alan_Schaeffer wrote:I thought the version that wasn't the Ultimate Hunter Edition and
Predator 2 was meant to be good transfers.

The MPEG-2 version is essentially just an upscaled DVD transfer but with a slight red push. It's far from being a great transfer but it is also far more watchable than the unholy abomination that is the Ultimate Hunter Hunter Edition. If you want Predator 1 on Bluray, the MPEG-2 version is the one to get - just keep your expectations in check for how good it will look.
Wise man once say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks

Postby Alister_Manson » 02 Feb 2021 00:25

The old BD isn't upscaled, just sourced from a 1080p scan, which was the basis for most DVDs (which were then downscaled). As for Predator 2, the BD has some DNR so it's not perfect, but it's nowhere as obnoxious as on the Ultimate Hunter Predator transfer.
Alister_Manson

Return to Comparison Requests