Police Story 3:Supercop 1993 UPDATED

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

Police Story 3:Supercop 1993 UPDATED

Postby Hiro UK » 31 Mar 2009 20:48

Seems no one is reading the comparison request section so I'll post the update to my question asked there a few weeks back here. I wanted to know if the 108 minute running time on the cover for the IVL boxset release of PS3 was correct or not, or if it was the same version as previous releases. I've had it confirmed that the printed running time is incorrect and it is the same 96 minute uncut version as all previous Asian releases, this means that the other Asian releases in the comparison (and maybe the R2 Denmark- Jupiter release) are incorrectly listed as International Versions. The Universe Laser release also has an incorrect running time of 108 minutes on the cover but is the same uncut 96 minute version. The over 8 minutes of cuts for the Dimension release (and probably the others) is also incorrect, it's only about 4 minutes total.
Hiro UK

Re: Police Story 3: Supercop 1993

Postby estebon_spielbergo » 01 Apr 2009 06:47

8 minutes of cuts sounds about right believe it or not. The Dimension version runs about 95 mins, which is roughly the same length as the original Asian version. But keep in mind that Dimension's version also adds a brand new opening title sequence as well as new closing credits. Here's a fairly detailed list of cuts that maybe should be added to the comparison.

- A scene where the police superiors (Bill Tung, Phillip Chan, etc.) get a briefing about the rising drug trade and Yuen Wah/Kenneth Tsang, and then having a meeting about what to do with it. The superiors eventually hatch the plot of sending in Chan undercover, even though they are not sure if he can do it.

- After Chan is told about his mission, there is a bit more between Chan and Bill Tung/Phillip Chan. When Chan leaves, Tung and Phillip Chan discuss whether they have done the right thing or not (relating to the first scene).

- When Michelle Yeoh is briefing Chan about the mission, she tries to teach him about the differences between China and Hong Kong, including teaching him some slang words, which Chan messes up horribly.

- When Yeoh, Chan and Yuen Wah are going to the restaurant in Chan's "hometown," we see more of the town square. Chan sees some strung-up skinned cats being sold for food (this is why he orders them later).

- The initial meeting with Kenneth Tsang was cut drastically. In the Hong Kong version, we see two women being shot up with heroin (supposedly to "test" the new shipment). One of them dies and is thrown into the pool. Tsang later confronts one of his men and accuses him of being a traitor and orders him killed. The man is then thrown into the pool (this bit shown in the US version, but doesn't really make sense). For some reason, the video game Tsang is playing is also different.

- The US version has a different soundtrack, putting in rap in place of the original score, a Tom Jones song ("Kung-Fu Fighting") on the blooper reel, and a Devo song over the end credits; the dialogue has also been changed a bit to accommodate the dubbing.

Source: HKflix.xom
estebon_spielbergo

Postby Hiro UK » 01 Apr 2009 16:40

estebon_spielbergo wrote:8 minutes of cuts sounds about right believe it or not. The Dimension version runs about 95 mins, which is roughly the same length as the original Asian version. But keep in mind that Dimension's version also adds a brand new opening title sequence as well as new closing credits. Here's a fairly detailed list of cuts that maybe should be added to the comparison.

Much of this probably arises from incorrect running times being quoted. I've even seen 10 minutes of cuts quoted on some sites. The 108 minutes on the IVL and Universe Laser releases is incorrect. I've also seen running times of 101 minutes given out for the Asian version which is also incorrect. The correct running time is 95 minutes 39 seconds. The Dimension version (also used by Dragon Dynasty) runs 90 minutes 25 seconds. Whilst a little longer, the new opening credit sequence in part can be ignored as it doesn't omit anything from the film itself. It's the actual cuts/changes to the film itself that are of main importance. I've given precise times to each, as well as to a couple more missed from the list you quoted.

- A scene where the police superiors (Bill Tung, Phillip Chan, etc.) get a briefing about the rising drug trade and Yuen Wah/Kenneth Tsang, and then having a meeting about what to do with it. The superiors eventually hatch the plot of sending in Chan undercover, even though they are not sure if he can do it.

1 minute 24 seconds cut.

- After Chan is told about his mission, there is a bit more between Chan and Bill Tung/Phillip Chan. When Chan leaves, Tung and Phillip Chan discuss whether they have done the right thing or not (relating to the first scene).

51 seconds cut.

There is also a brief cut when JC arrives at the Military Police Headquarters in China. When he exits the car he looks up at the sign over the entrance. In the Asian version there is a close up shot of the sign. This is removed in the US version as a English caption is given as the car approaches the main entrance, rather than as a translation of what's on the sign.

2 seconds cut.

- When Michelle Yeoh is briefing Chan about the mission, she tries to teach him about the differences between China and Hong Kong, including teaching him some slang words, which Chan messes up horribly.

37 seconds cut.

There is another one that is missing from those you've quoted.

After Jackie fights the police cadet and rides the gyroscope, the resulting crash scene is longer. There is brief cut as Michelle and the cadet approach JC as he hangs in the tree and he jokes that next time she must also call him world champion in somersault, and then a brief cut showing Jackie falling out of the tree.

7 seconds cut.

- When Yeoh, Chan and Yuen Wah are going to the restaurant in Chan's "hometown," we see more of the town square. Chan sees some strung-up skinned cats being sold for food (this is why he orders them later).

There aren't any skinned cats, or any other animals skinned and hung up, but there are puppies in cages being sold ready for killing and eating which is when JC says to Michelle how cruel it is and asks if her Police don't care about it. What he orders later is civet (which has a cat appearance but isn't a cat) braised in turtle testicles.

44 seconds cut.

- The initial meeting with Kenneth Tsang was cut drastically. In the Hong Kong version, we see two women being shot up with heroin (supposedly to "test" the new shipment). One of them dies and is thrown into the pool. Tsang later confronts one of his men and accuses him of being a traitor and orders him killed. The man is then thrown into the pool (this bit shown in the US version, but doesn't really make sense). For some reason, the video game Tsang is playing is also different.

2 minutes 18 seconds cut.

Actual cuts to the film itself total 6 minutes 3 seconds. The difference in running time of only 5 minutes 14 seconds is because the English credit sequence is slightly longer and there are some additional production credits at the end for the US version (the bloopers are untouched, other than having English credits over the top).

I also noticed that the Dimension version runs faster at times as sync between the two films was lost in places during identical scenes, so this can also be a factor on making it appear there were more cuts than there was. So whilst not 4, it's not 8 either, technically. :wink:
Hiro UK

Postby estebon_spielbergo » 06 Apr 2009 17:38

Heres my own detailed list of cuts made from the fully uncut Fortune Star dvd running exactly 95:39:

1. The original opening logos, credits, and a scene where DEA agents brief the Royal Hong Kong Police about the rise of notorious drug trafficker Chaibat. (2:36)
2. Right After Jackie apparently accepts the mission, a brief scene where Uncle Bill reveals his worries about the dangers involved. Philip Chan tells Bill to be more positive. (26sec)
3. Following that brief exchange, Philip Chan hands Jackie a small piece of paper containing an emergency phone number, which turns out to be Uncle Bill's number. The scene ends with Bill spitting on the piece of paper and sticking it onto the door of Philip's office as they leave. (35sec)
4. Right after Jackie is assigned his new identity, a scene where Michelle Yeoh is teaching Jackie some mainland slang, which he flubs. (36sec)
5. After fighting with the military combat coach, Jackie winds up in a tree. Missing is a comedic bit where he falls from the tree. (7sec)
6. After Jackie busts Panther (Yuen Wah) out of the labor camp, the two can be seen treading through pouring rain to meet up with Panther's buddies. Missing is a brief scene where Jackie reacts to the foul smell of local swine. (20sec)
7. Right before the night market fight, a short scene where dogs and cats are seen in cages and being strung up is cut. (31sec)
8. At Caibat's penthouse, Pierre, a henchmen, is seen injecting a bikini-clad woman with heroin. (46sec)
9. Pierre then informs Chaibat that the woman has died. It is also in this scene that one of the henchmen is revealed to be a traitor. The man is drowned in a subsequent scene, which is present in the US version. (1:09)
10. After looking on helplessly as the man is drowned, Jackie witnesses the the dead woman being carried away. (8sec)
11. After May discovers Jackie at the same hotel resort, she goes ballistic. Later, Jackie approaches her in the lobby to explain that he is undercover. Missing is the following scene where Pierre makes a joke about women before asking Jackie about his truckdriving skills. (24sec)
estebon_spielbergo

Postby Hiro UK » 06 Apr 2009 22:20

estebon_spielbergo wrote:6. After Jackie busts Panther (Yuen Wah) out of the labor camp, the two can be seen treading through pouring rain to meet up with Panther's buddies. Missing is a brief scene where Jackie reacts to the foul smell of local swine. (20sec)

I missed that.

7. Right before the night market fight, a short scene where dogs and cats are seen in cages and being strung up is cut. (31sec)

You'll have to be more specific where this is supposed to be seen (time code) because I have got my hands on the Fortune Star/IVL release, which runs the exact same time as all other versions I have, and I still see no such shots. When entering the market there is the shot of a puppy being held by the scruff of the neck and some in cages, but no cats and certainly no animals being strung up. If you mean the fight that takes place after they've all been stunned and led out with their arms locked to chairs, in which Michelle starts the fight with a flying kick, again I see no shots of cats or dogs being strung up. The fight scene is intact in the Dimension release, it's only the entry to the market that is cut in which Panther explains how all sorts of endangered animals can be found there and the shots of said puppies. In the Dimension release it jumps from then leaving his "Mothers" house to them entering the restaurant.

11. After May discovers Jackie at the same hotel resort, she goes ballistic. Later, Jackie approaches her in the lobby to explain that he is undercover. Missing is the following scene where Pierre makes a joke about women before asking Jackie about his truckdriving skills. (24sec)

Missed that as well. I was skipping through on 3x speed.

That makes an additional 44 seconds of cuts (excluding the cats/dogs bit as it doesn't correlate with what I've seen), so in total 6 minutes 47 seconds of actual cuts. Adding the extra time the new credits run as well as the additional credits at the end it is nearer 8 minutes, but I don't include the credits as that's more of a replacement.
Hiro UK

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 08 Apr 2009 22:23

For now I have added the R0 IVL (95:39 NTSC) and R1 running times (90:25 NTSC).

Let me know if you agree on the detailed list of differences between both cuts... thanks for your efforts :-D
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Police Story 3:Supercop 1993 FAO HIRO UK/ESTEBON_ESPIELBERGO

Postby Hiro UK » 09 Apr 2009 01:38

"International version" is still next to uncut versions. The Mega Star release is uncut (I own it). I believe the Deltamac release is also the same uncut 95:39 minute version (they released it after Mega Star's licence ran out) as I've seen mention to it being better than the US cut & Dub and seen running times of 95 minutes given. I can't say for the China Star release though, or the R2 Denmark- Jupiter. Would "no known cuts" be better applied to these rather than calling them international versions when it's not known if they have had the same cuts as the US version? The confusion seems to stem from the 108 minute running time on the IVL release, making it appear much longer, but as shown it is the same uncut 95:39 minute version as the others, so now these should no longer be listed as international versions. Where this 108 minute running time comes from I don't know, but it was also on the cover of my Universe Laser DVD which also ran 95 minutes. I should have posted the specs for the Universe Laser release before selling it. I could then have mentioned about this incorrect running time of 108 minutes long before now.

On the cuts, we're pretty much there, other than these cats and dogs that are supposed to be seen strung up. There is no such shot in any version I've had, which all ran the same length (other than the US version) so I'm not sure where estebon_spielbergo is getting this info from. He seemed to imply he has the IVL release, but if he does then it's different to my IVL DVD from the 3 disc boxset. :-?

ADDENDUM: I may as well post this here. Just had the Zoke Culture release come, which I ordered (and forgot about) in case I was unable to get hold of PS3 from the IVL boxset on its own. Despite having incorrect info on the cover regarding number of audio streams (1), subtitle languages (2) and running time (92 minutes, but runs 95:39), the Zoke Culture release is a straight port of the IVL release, warts and all (interlacing artifacts and a slightly jerky image). Only difference is the opening logos before the menu language selection screen. I believe it's a genuine release since they went legit not long back, and unlike most bootlegs (if not all) this has a proper ISBN number and barcode along with a holographic sticker on the cover which is the same as the one on my other genuine Zoke Culture DVDs. It's sold separately and comes in a keep case inside a slip case.
Hiro UK

Postby estebon_spielbergo » 13 Apr 2009 02:04

Correction: no animals are seen strung up. However, they're seen in cages and 1 puppy is shown being held up by the back of its neck..
estebon_spielbergo

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 15 Apr 2009 20:31

The comparison has been updated, many thanks to both of you ! :-D

Let me know if you see anything wrong...
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Police Story 3:Supercop 1993 UPDATED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 16 Apr 2009 10:25

Believe it or not, back in the laserdisc days, the Dimension version got a laser disc release from The Criterion Collection. That version had the new English dub on in Dolby Digital 5.1 on one of the analog tracks and Dolby Surround on the digital track and the Cantonese dub in mono on the other analog track (edited to conform to the cut US version). Among the extras were 5 deleted scenes in Cantonese with English subtitles.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/7633/CC14 ... tion-(1992)

I never saw the disc (I didn't get into laserdiscs) but I remember reading this at the time and wondering why Dimension did not make such efforts with their own DVD (not realizing that barebones would be the norm for early Dimension/Miramax DVDs).
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Reference