ROCKY IV US Blu-Ray question - region free?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

ROCKY IV US Blu-Ray question - region free?

Postby Jerry_Dam » 02 Feb 2012 09:40

Does anyone know if this US edition for ROCKY IV on Blu-ray is region A locked or region free?

Jerry_Dam

Re: ROCKY IV US Blu-Ray question - region free?

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 May 2012 10:32

I dont have it so not 100% sure but looking at the back cover doesn`t look promising

Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 08 May 2012 11:22

Just get yourself a region free player.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 10 May 2012 16:01

There is still possibility that the disc is region free as I have from the same distributor (Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC) "Hot Tub Time Machine" (US) and "Marked For Death" (CAN), they both have on back cover only region A logo but actually are region free.
Theres two places were I usually check the region satatus - planetaxel.com and regionfreemovies.com , but sadly neither of them have tested it yet.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 14 May 2012 15:38

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:Just get yourself a region free player.

This is actually easier said than done. I believe you need some kind of hardware mod when it comes to Blu-ray region codes (=can be expensive, or tricky)... At least it's not as easy as it was with DVD players. Perhaps things are changed now, but I haven't read any major news about region free Blu-ray-players.

My solution is two PS3 consoles: Europe and US. You can get US PS3 for about 300 euros from Videgamesplus (Canada) - including DHL shipping (IF you avoid customs like I did).
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 15 May 2012 08:56

Jari_Kovalainen wrote:This is actually easier said than done. I believe you need some kind of hardware mod when it comes to Blu-ray region codes (=can be expensive, or tricky)... At least it's not as easy as it was with DVD players. Perhaps things are changed now, but I haven't read any major news about region free Blu-ray-players.

My solution is two PS3 consoles: Europe and US. You can get US PS3 for about 300 euros from Videgamesplus (Canada) - including DHL shipping (IF you avoid customs like I did).

I paid more then 7000$ for my BR player and it came region free. That model is reg free initially, not modded after. Plays any disc. Though I rarely buy BR discs these days. Had too much disappointment...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Jerry_Dam » 04 Jun 2012 10:24

Thanks! There are two inexpensive Toshiba players that can easily be made region-free with a firmware:
Toshiba BDX 1200
Toshiba BDX3100
http://www.avforums.com/forums/15346762-post41.html
Jerry_Dam

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 04 Jun 2012 11:40

There are periodically players on the market that can be hacked like a DVD player: the Beaver's Momitsu, the Oppo, and
some supermarket Chinese players. Generally, to get the make/model you want then it's best to get one with a hardware mod
from new. It's not hard to find such suppliers in the US & UK although there aren't many of them. (Not so familiar with Europe - have seen one supplier in Holland.) They also sell such modded machines on Amazon if you want some "insurance".
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion