Blu-Ray techniques?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Blu-Ray techniques?

Postby Todd_Oberly » 12 Aug 2012 19:15

Not a comparison, but questions possibly worthy of the Archives board...

What is considered the easiest way to determine the codec for a Blu-ray movie and the SD/HD format of an extra feature? I assume the latter is quite obvious on a giant TV, but for those of us with smaller (or CRT) sets, I assume the only way to know empirically is with a Blu-Ray drive in a computer? And the same is true for the codec? Maybe very high end BR players tell you, but I have yet to buy my $500 Oppo.

Thanks.
Todd_Oberly

Re: Blu-Ray techniques?

Postby Adrian_Busby » 13 Aug 2012 09:12

Moved to the correct forum.
I met this six year old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face and the blackest eyes...the Devil's eyes. - Dr Loomis, Halloween.
Adrian_Busby
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 13 Aug 2012 21:34

My entry level ($100/£100) Sony Blu-ray player displays the codec and source resolution — but you do need to switch-off the 1080p upscaling and set it to display the original resolution or else everything is labelled as being 1080p! So, it is quite easy to determine everything I/we need for a comparison entry with that machine. I don't know how helpful other manufacturers machines are — I do know from experience of 3 different manufacturer DVD players that the Sony was the most informative.

Having said all that, I have been eyeing the Oppo, but was wondering if there was a new model just around the corner. They don't bring one out every year, but I think the current one (93/95) dates back to around March 2011? The previous/original one (83/85) was announced/released around July 2009, although I think it was discontinued early due to a supplier discontinuing a component and it could not be replaced...
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul Moran » 13 Aug 2012 22:27

My Oppo 83 and Oppo 93 also show encoding type (codec), frame rate and original aspect ratio (as well as lots of other details).
Paul Moran

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 13 Aug 2012 23:02

Yes, the Sony gives the frame rate and much more as well. For the price, it was hard to beat when I wasn't sure how far I would go with blu-rays. In fact, its upscaling is so good I have replaced very few DVDs with blu-rays — one division of Sony biting the hand of the other.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Todd_Oberly » 15 Aug 2012 05:23

My Insignia player doesn't do anything of the sort (but it's natively region free, a good consolation), nor does the Panasonic player I tested recently. Apparently not a uncommon feature, though. Hmm. Thanks for broadening my perspective.
Todd_Oberly

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 15 Aug 2012 09:07

The only way of knowning accurate and complete specs is to buy yourself any Blu-Ray drive for your PC and install PowerDVD 12 or later.
Those consumer standalone/hardware players will never provide such info. Even my custom made can't do that. Such kind of hardware was simply never ment for that.

My Oppo 83 and Oppo 93 also show encoding type (codec), frame rate and original aspect ratio (as well as lots of other details).

Those players are total crap BTW. They read only flags, not really scan material so to speak. Aspect ratio and codec details are oftently incorrectly flagged so you won't know the real info.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 17 Aug 2012 20:46

They read only flags, not really scan material so to speak.

Yes, but it's basically that or nothing. Feel free to ignore.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 17 Aug 2012 20:51

Yes, but it's basically that or nothing. Feel free to ignore.

Ignorance is a bliss, right? :-D
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Paul Moran » 17 Aug 2012 21:36

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
Those players are total crap BTW...
Sadly, I couldn't afford better ones. :( :-D
Paul Moran

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 17 Aug 2012 22:29

Sadly, I couldn't afford better ones.

It's Ok. I stopped buying BR anyway coz it's nothing but disappointment... :(
In a few yrs there gonna be a new format which finally brings that HD satisfaction we all want.
So save the money for a much better hardware we'll eventually get.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion