Cinema blah de blah

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Cinema blah de blah

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Oct 2012 08:24

Looper! Anybody else seen this yet? I've been away all week but spent an entire day in the cinema and did 5 movies and this was my most wanted because I'm such a big fan of Rian Johnson's Brick. Anyway, Looper was fantastic.

I also recommend The Perks of Being a Wallflower. A big surprise this one and although it isn't for everybody, it is worth a look.

Resident Evil: Retribution's story was completely crap, but the effects and 3D were for the most part fantastic, and this series is one of my guilty pleasures so I still enjoyed it.

The Campaign was fairly meh. There are some laugh out loud moments but I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell so had it been someone else I think I'd have enjoyed it more.

Taken 2 was disappointing as hell. Mediocrity through and through - and I loved the first. :(

I really wanted to see Savages, but unfortunately they were only showing it tonight and I had to get home.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: Looper

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 06 Oct 2012 11:08

Taken 2 was disappointing as hell. Mediocrity through and through - and I loved the first.

It has the same plot, right? I mean, his baby girl was taken AGAIN?!
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Oct 2012 12:58

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
Taken 2 was disappointing as hell. Mediocrity through and through - and I loved the first.

It has the same plot, right? I mean, his baby girl was taken AGAIN?!

Nope. This time Neeson and his wife are taken by the families of those he killed in the first movie. It is up to Maggie Grace to do the saving this time.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 06 Oct 2012 17:47

Nope. This time Neeson and his wife are taken by the families of those he killed in the first movie. It is up to Maggie Grace to do the saving this time.

And of course she worked for CIA for decades, so she knows lots of cool moves. :lol:
With such ridicules plot, I doubt it's as engaging as the first one is... :(

And how the hell those families got to him and his ex-wife? Some of his buddies sold him out? :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Oct 2012 18:02

The familes get him whilst he is working in Turkey and his own family are visiting him. The premise is actually the best thing about it - a little different but still too contrived IMO.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 06 Oct 2012 20:15

Samuel_Scott wrote:The familes get him whilst he is working in Turkey and his own family are visiting him. The premise is actually the best thing about it - a little different but still too contrived IMO.

And she rescues her daddy and mommy how exactly? Like Jackie Chang? :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Paul_Lewis » 11 Oct 2012 21:53

I had the chance to see LOOPER or SAVAGES last week (or KILLING THEM SOFTLY, which is top of my 'to see' list), but I went with the missus and it was her turn to pick - she chose Nick Love's THE SWEENEY film :lol: Wasn't as bad as I imagined, to be honest, but I'd rather have seen one of the other films.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Erik_Haraldsson » 29 Oct 2012 23:50

Samuel_Scott wrote:Anybody else seen this yet? I've been away all week but spent an entire day in the cinema and did 5 movies and this was my most wanted because I'm such a big fan of Rian Johnson's Brick. Anyway, Looper was fantastic.

Thanks for the tip, just saw it. Definitely fantastic, my kind of movie. First visit to a cinema since Drive.
Erik_Haraldsson

Postby Samuel_Scott » 30 Oct 2012 00:34

Have you seen Brick? Also fantastic and also stars Levitt.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 30 Oct 2012 19:01

Looper was really good, solid, great characters, but a few problems here and there. Otherwise really enjoyable.... but, the movie that's blown my mind recently was Dredd! That movie was an incredibly good time had by all, seen it twice already and can't wait to get my hands on it once it hits blu-ray!
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 30 Oct 2012 19:31

Dredd! That movie was an incredibly good time had by all, seen it twice already and can't wait to get my hands on it once it hits blu-ray!

You mean Clive Barker's Dread? It's available on Blu-Ray and I probably have it, too.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 30 Oct 2012 20:01

I'm pretty sure Noor means Dredd, the new Judge Dredd movie which I agree was very very good and a complete surprise.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 30 Oct 2012 20:10

Samuel_Scott wrote:I'm pretty sure Noor means Dredd, the new Judge Dredd movie which I agree was very very good and a complete surprise.

:lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Erik_Haraldsson » 02 Nov 2012 03:17

Samuel_Scott wrote:Have you seen Brick? Also fantastic and also stars Levitt.

Yes, the original comment about it, was what made me really interesting. Loved Brick, but to be honest, I'm probably a sucker for anything that could be called Film Noir.
Erik_Haraldsson

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 02 Nov 2012 09:20

Yes, the original comment about it, was what made me really interesting. Loved Brick, but to be honest, I'm probably a sucker for anything that could be called Film Noir.

Brick is Ok, not great, but hardly noir.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby NewDeep » 02 Nov 2012 11:56

how's cloud atlas?
NewDeep

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Nov 2012 12:13

Not seen it but getting mixed reviews. The book wasn't all that IMO.
Samuel_Scott

Re: Cinema blah de blah

Postby Samuel_Scott » 18 Nov 2012 09:22

Last night on my travels I came across a midnight preview for End of Watch, widely released in the UK next week. Wow. Best Hollywood cop movie since Training Day IMO. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena both excel and the movie felt so fresh throughout. Loved the way it was shot and can't help but highly recommend it. 4.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 18 Nov 2012 21:42

End of Watch was brilliant, saw it a few days ago. At times it felt like I was watching an episode of some reality-tv cop show, almost like a news team following 2 cops. Haha! Both Gyllenhaal and Pena did a great job as tough as nails cops and it shows they studied the everyday routines and procedures by driving around with real life police patrols for months before they started to shoot the movie. Overall the movie reminded me very much of the tv show Southland which I also enjoy very much. Both are focused within the same area and have a very similar style of filming.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Postby Paul_Lewis » 27 Nov 2012 09:40

Looking forward to END OF WATCH, as long as we can get a babysitter so we can see it at the pictures. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the home video release.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion