Ultraviolet!

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Ultraviolet!

Postby Brent_Reid » 26 Apr 2013 16:10

I just got in from work to find the Ultraviolet DVD set gracing my doormat - whoopee!

I can't believe I won the DVDCompare competition... thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't wait to get stuck into this; I missed the series first time around, but after looking it up, when I entered the comp, I put the new DVD set on my wants list.

According to its comparison page, the old DVD release was non-anamorphic & more or less barebones. I will, of course, be posting the specs of the new extras-laden set, as soon as I've ploughed through it all!

Have a great weekend everyone - I certainly shall!
Brent_Reid

Re: Ultraviolet!

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Apr 2013 16:14

Enjoy. We have plenty more competitions in the pipeline Brent so keep on entering. When I organised this and Journeyman, we were meant to get check discs but I was away working so we didn't bother to get them.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Feb 2014 08:05

Finally watched everything on this DVD set & went to post a comparison - only to find that someone had beaten me to it!
The reason for the delay was though that I did indeed sit down to watch it as soon as it arrived, I was disappointed to see it was non-anamorphic. :(

I don't own a flat panel telly & project everything onto a 104" screen, so non-ana DVDs look like sh*te. Instead, I waited until I set up my old Toshiba 3787DB CRT in the newly-redecorated bedroom. Google it: it's a beast! The biggest CRT ever sold in the UK, with a 37" 4:3 screen (only the yanks had a bigger one: a 40" 4:3 Sony). Fantastic picture & sound just great for low-quality transfers (mostly public domain DVDs) of pre-widescreen films & non-ana stuff like Ultraviolet.

A real shame that the producers of this set did such a great job overall, but completely dropped the ball on not making it anamorphic - unforgivable for a 2013 release!
Brent_Reid

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 14 Feb 2014 14:33

only the yanks had a bigger one: a 40" 4:3 Sony

I had one of those. Truly awful. Got rid of that pretty quickly. :oops:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Jyri_Lehtinen » 18 Feb 2014 17:43

Yup, I added the CE set soon after I had bought it. I have always enjoyed the series and it's a shame indeed they used the same dated transfer from the previous release or at least one very close to it; don't have the older one to compare side by side. Kind of lame not to create a new anamorphic transfer in this day and age.. they only made it an "updated" version by adding a few commentaries to selected episodes and some other extras.
Work occasionally keeps me off the grid but I'll be around sooner or later.
- Jyri aka GrimReaper - the Walking Discography
Jyri_Lehtinen
Former Rewind Staff

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion