GAME FOR VULTURES (1979)

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

GAME FOR VULTURES (1979)

Postby Davy_Lee » 07 Aug 2013 14:06

I 've done a little bit of research and compiled the following data on GAME FOR VULTURES (1979) for your database. However, the different dvd releases have 3 different run times. I've got the 100:59 PAL Spanish dvd but I've also discovered 2 other releases with a run time of 103' and 113'. Could anyone help sort this out? I'd like to know which is the best version among all these releases?

Title: Game for Vultures
Region: 2
Distributor: Euro Video
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 1.33 : 1
Anamorphic?: No
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: English DD 2.0 stereo, German DD 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): None
Cuts: Yes (103:06)
Commentaries: None
Extras: Unknown
Notes: The title on the cover is "Spiel der Geier".
Source: http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=353918

Distributor: On Air Video
Aspect Ratio: 1.78 : 1
Anamorphic?: Yes
Soundtracks: English DD 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
Extras: None
Notes: The title on the cover is "A Game for Vultures".
Source: http://www.gucca.dk/a-game-for-vultures-dvd-p124077

Distributor: Limelight Pictures
Soundtracks: English DD 2.0 stereo
Subtitles (are they optional?): Dutch (optional)
Source: http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/dvd-vid ... r-vultures

Distributor: Atlantic
Soundtracks: English DD 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish (optional)
Notes: The title on the cover is "Krigets Vargar".
Source: http://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/krigets_vargar/P56821

Title: Game for Vultures*
Distributor: Opening
Case Type: Digipak
Soundtracks: French DD 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): None
Cuts: No (113')
Notes: The title on the cover is "Le Putsch des Mercenaires".
Source: http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/f40637-putsch- ... aires.html

I don't have any prior knowledge of the film run time. However, the US imdb.com states that the run time is 113'. Here is the summary of the aforementioned different run times that have been released on dvds:
1. The 100:59 PAL version (7 Art Pictures)
2. The 103:06 PAL version (Euro Video, On Air Video, Limelight Pictures, Atlantic)
3. The 113 PAL (?) version (Opening)

Czech Republic and UK releases
One released in the Czech Republic under the title "Cas Supu" (Source: http://www.arara.cz/product/215258), and two in the UK by Warner Home Video and later Arrow Films, both having a run time of 102:47. Strange that these 2 UK distributors seemed to have swept this release under their carpet :roll:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... #_Section1

The BBFC website states that the film was passed uncut. But if the theatrical run time is 113', the UK PAL dvd run time should be 108:48

Cut Status
Regarding the run time, one of the releases - Opening France, seems to have a longer run time (113') than that of the other releases (100:59, 103:06), which leads me to believe that there may be three versions of the film - the 100:59 PAL, the 103' PAL and the 113'.

Run Time Conversion Accuracy*
My other doubt is about the accuracy of the run time stated on the back cover of the Opening (French) dvd. Referring to the theatrical 113' run time (as stated on US imdb.com), the correct time stated on their back covers should be 108:48 since both are region 2 coded and have PAL encoding system. Why, then, this release states the run time on its back cover to be 113'?

Your help is much appreciated :)
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 21 Apr 2014 10:25, edited 2 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Re: GAME FOR VULTURES (1979)

Postby Tim_Rogerson » 29 Aug 2013 11:25

Davy

I wouldn't believe anything printed on the back of a DVD cover about running times. Many times, the person who prints the cover just copies the time off IMDB since they don't have access to the DVD (as done by separate company). You need to check the actual print.

The UK BBFC website does indeed indicate there are two different versions of this film, a 113m version and a 107m version (103m Pal).

Per the BBFC, the UK theatrical version submitted to them in 1979 ran 113m and it appears that this version was then released on Video by Palace in 1986 as the website recortds 108m for what appears to be a Pal submission. However, the later releases, including the 2010 Arrow DVD run only 103m in Pal.

Who knows whether the Spanish or French versions are the full length 113m print but I doubt it since, as you correctly point out, if these are Pal releases then it should run only 108m not 113m. I would suspect these are the same 103m pal print released everywhere else.
Tim_Rogerson

Postby Davy_Lee » 09 Sep 2013 09:47

Tim_Rogerson wrote:Who knows whether the Spanish or French versions are the full length 113m print but I doubt it since, as you correctly point out, if these are Pal releases then it should run only 108m not 113m. I would suspect these are the same 103m pal print released everywhere else.

It may be true, Tim. However, it's interesting to note that the video presentation of the Spanish and French releases is in 1.33 : 1, presumably open matte, which is different from that of the one I own, which is in anamorphic widescreen. Just my hunch that they might be the full cut. I'm just curious to watch the complete version of it. The film itself is, by no means, a good one. I give it a 7. This is one the many films I came across at a video rental store decades ago but didn't get around to renting it. And the two Richards who starred in it happen to be two of my favorite actors :)
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Mark_Meakin » 11 Sep 2013 13:52

I recorded the film when it was last on BBC1 with my dvd recorder.Without the Columbia opening logo the film ran 102:35.I recall this being released on video as part of Columbia's SILVER SERIES along with 'Happy Birthday To Me', 'Grizzly', 'Enter The Ninja' & 'Piranha II' among others.That was the full version running over 108 minutes.I found this on the IMDB:
The version I saw on BBC 1 tonight was slightly different from a version I saw several years ago. A scene in the opening battle scene featured a Rhodesian soldier getting crushed by a runaway landrover , and an entire subplot featuring Tony Osoba`s character is missing. This is where he murders his sister at the end and he in turn is killed by his brother in law with a pitchfork
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 11 Sep 2013 15:26

I've read that one too, Mark. I did a comparison between the version I own with that on youtube, which clocks in at about the full run time (I believe it's the uncut version). Unsurprisingly, I've discovered scenes on youtube that are either missing or shortened on the dvd I own. However, I wasn't able to do a thorough comparison because some parts had been blocked :(

Davy_Lee

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 04 Dec 2013 07:06

Mark, is this thread "done" or...? :)
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Mark_Meakin » 04 Dec 2013 14:36

Jari_Kovalainen wrote:Mark, is this thread "done" or...? :)

I would say it is now.
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 05 Dec 2013 09:58

Yes. It's done. Another cult film of the 70s returning to obscurity :( . Perhaps I should contact James Fargo himself to find out the answers. :lol:

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 21 Apr 2014 10:38

Just bought the other Spanish dvd released by Regia Films. It has a run time of 102:42 PAL exactly as that of the UK Arrow release, which has been stated to be uncut by the BBFC.

So there are two dvd versions of the film in the market. But we haven't known if the run time was really 113 minutes when it played at the cinemas. If there had ever been the 113-minute version, I believe it would have a very slight chance of being released on dvd, much less blu-ray.

I'll do a comparison of both Spanish releases and see what the differences are :)

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 23 Apr 2014 06:25

Here's what I've found:

The Regia Films dvd is still missing two scenes that are also missing from the Seven Art dvd. These missing scenes can be seen on the vhs version. Based on the BBFC website, they have been cut when transferred to dvd :(

However, the Regia Films dvd is the better of the two Spanish releases:
1. All scenes, except the two missing ones and probably few others, are intact.
2. Despite being presented in 1.33 : 1, the video is open matte and has vibrant colours. The Seven Art video, although in anamorphic widescreen, has poor definition and washed-out colours.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 11 May 2014 04:05, edited 2 times in total.

Davy_Lee

Postby Markus_Lang » 23 Apr 2014 15:33

I might add that a 108 minutes version (2955 meters) was shown in Finnish cinemas in 1980.
Markus_Lang

Postby Davy_Lee » 11 May 2014 04:02

Markus_Lang wrote:I might add that a 108 minutes version (2955 meters) was shown in Finnish cinemas in 1980.

Sadly, we may never see the complete theatrical version on dvd.

Davy_Lee

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion