Great endings on not so great films *use spoiler tags*

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Great endings on not so great films *use spoiler tags*

Postby Samuel_Scott » 18 Dec 2013 22:46

Okay, the Final Destination movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, owning the UK and US DVDs of 1-4, German DVD of 4, UK Blu-rays of 1-5, Dutch Blu-rays of 2-3 and German Blu-ray of 4, but let us be honest, they are not more than mediocre - just very fun thanks to the inventfulness.

However, I rewatched FD5 today (really need to grab the 3D disc actually), and forgot how brilliant the ending was,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
linking us back to FD1.

Wondered what over average or poor films people thought had unexpectedly good endings.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: Great endings on not so great films *use spoiler tags*

Postby Noor_Razzak » 19 Dec 2013 02:33

It's much easier to think of great movies with terrible endings than terrible movies with great endings... ;)
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 19 Dec 2013 21:03

There's a lot of mediocre horror movies with great endings. I hate it when horror films end up with one or two protagonists prevailing against the odds and escaping, it's much better when everyone dies horribly or, even better, are still alive with no chance of escape. Probably the best example of this is the Aussie film Dying Breed: the chick ends up as breeding stock for hillbilly cannibals, and the guy ends up getting his face bitten off by a child who, until right at the end, had seemed like the only one of the clan that wasn't a psychotic cannibal, but suddenly opens her mouth to reveal filed-down razor sharp teeth
Alister_Manson

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 29 Dec 2013 08:43

Alister_Manson wrote:There's a lot of mediocre horror movies with great endings. I hate it when horror films end up with one or two protagonists prevailing against the odds and escaping, it's much better when everyone dies horribly or, even better, are still alive with no chance of escape. Probably the best example of this is the Aussie film Dying Breed: the chick ends up as breeding stock for hillbilly cannibals, and the guy ends up getting his face bitten off by a child who, until right at the end, had seemed like the only one of the clan that wasn't a psychotic cannibal, but suddenly opens her mouth to reveal filed-down razor sharp teeth

DYING BREED was awful (not because of the horror elements but because of the annoying heroine and her wishy-washy boyfriend (the secondary couple was more interesting). I'm glad they all met bad ends.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 01 Jan 2014 12:28

I'm glad they all met bad ends.

Yeah, I was glad, too. I also enjoyed House Of Wax 2005. Bad movie, good deaths!
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion