Question about Predator R1 full-screen DVD

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Question about Predator R1 full-screen DVD

Postby Richard_Manri » 23 Dec 2013 09:03

Is it open matte or pan and scam? I was told that 70% of the film was shot anamorphic while 30% was shot in academy and matted down to 1.85:1. Also, is the new 3D BD of the film a new transfer or the same old waxy DNR'd one from a few years back?
Richard_Manri

Re: Question about Predator R1 full-screen DVD

Postby Jari_Kovalainen » 23 Dec 2013 12:46

Richard_Manri wrote:Is it open matte or pan and scam? I was told that 70% of the film was shot anamorphic while 30% was shot in academy and matted down to 1.85:1.

Essentially most of the 1.85:1 movies were shot within the 1.33:1 frame (negative). So if they want to open the mattes, they'll get 4:3 (at least if they kept the 4:3 "safety zone" safe from the microphones and stuff that doesn't belong there).

But that "open matte" 4:3 is rarely the OAR (which is usually the theatrical aspect ratio).

Richard_Manri wrote:Also, is the new 3D BD of the film a new transfer or the same old waxy DNR'd one from a few years back?

2D transfer seems to be the same as the "Ultimate Hunter Edition", but the 3D conversion should be pretty good (I have read mostly good things about it).
"There is no normal life, there's just life. You live it."
-Tombstone
Jari_Kovalainen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 23 Dec 2013 21:28

Like BEETLEJUICE (http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Re ... viewID=307), it was filmed in open matte 4:3, then cropped down to 1.85:1 . Personally I don't remember noticed any microphones etc in the open matte shots, but http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Re ... iewID=1420 (video section) advises otherwise. The cropping was done well enough for one to not feel they're losing anything important video-wise.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 31 Dec 2013 16:56

Is it open matte or pan and scam?

Cropped and very poor quality. Don't even bother.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Richard_Manri » 01 Jan 2014 02:43

Cropped and very poor quality. Don't even bother.[/quote]

You're talking about one of the earlier UK DVDs right? Because I heard that one was sourced from the VHS master that was uncut but cropped instead of opened up to 1.33, whereas the UK WS DVD was taken from a cut TV master. I find it odd that they would make a full-screen version by pan & scanning the Widescreen zone when they could easily open it back up to the 1.33 ratio. But again, knowing how lazy they are like the FHE VHS of Transformers (text reads "ans former:), ya never know...
Richard_Manri

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion