What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 01 Jan 2014 23:49

Noor_Razzak wrote:Watched 1492: Conquest of Paradise the other night, been a long time since I'd seen it, and it was pretty much as I remembered it, really solid film, one of Ridley Scott's most underrated films. It really needs a great special edition Blu-ray treatment with lots and lots of extras...

That's the only Ridley Scott movie I haven't bought yet on video... the German blu seems pretty decent.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Jan 2014 00:01

Modern Family (UK Blu-ray) - Finished up the last disc of Season 1, and watched 2/3 discs of Season 2. I'm not a huge fan of US comedy shows in general, but this has been amusing. 8/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 02 Jan 2014 02:08

Metro (TV)
The Russian 'Daylight', again nothing exceptional, but pretty enjoyable - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 02 Jan 2014 05:04

CRIMSON TIDE (Japanese blu-ray) - first viewing: 9/10

Saw it once at the cinema, which I really liked. Several times on dvds - both the theatrical and extended cuts. I prefer the theatrical cut to the latter as it does not contain unnecessary additional scenes that don't add anything to the plot: the extended scene during the birthday party at the beginning, the extended scene in the bus when they were playing riddles about films and the more frequent use of profane words and jokes by the crew.

One of my favorites and one of Tony Scott's best films. The claustrophobic setting increases the tension, not to mention Hans Zimmer's terrific score which makes the film even more suspenseful.

THE GRAND DUEL (US blu-ray) - third viewing: 6/10

No, not my third complete viewings. I fell asleep halfway through the film on my first viewing - too talky. The second time, I couldn't really comprehend the sub-plots. The problem is the accents of some of the dubbers make them rather difficult to listen to, a common practice in Spaghetti Western, Giallo and Euro-crime films.

This is an unusual Spaghetti Western with a blend of mystery mixed into the plot - a Spaghetti Western Mystery, if I may call it. Not one of Van Cleef's best films in my book.

And there's one annoying thing - the superb main theme is played alternately with another jolly banjo-sounding music that makes the scenes look comedic. They should have stuck with the main theme throughout :-?
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 27 Jun 2015 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Paul_Lewis » 02 Jan 2014 11:59

PITFALL (Andre de Toth, 1947)
Superb, bleak 'suburban noir' - clearly shot quickly, but riddled with angst.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 02 Jan 2014 22:26

American Ninja
American Ninja 2: The Confrontation
American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt
American Ninja 4: The Annihilation
American Ninja V
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Jan 2014 22:54

Finished up the last disc of Modern Family: Season 2 (UK Blu-ray) - 8/10

Maniac Cop (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - First time I've watched this since 2002, and it's fun, if not particularly great. I'll buy the sequels eventually when the prices drop. 6/10

Amsterdam Heavy (UK Blu-ray) - first (and last) viewing - Horrible horrible film. Poorly acted, crap story, and Matthew Madsen looks like he showed up, filmed for 20 minutes, got his pay, and buggered off. 2/10

Ocean Heaven (USA Blu-ray) - first viewing - As someone with an autistic brother, I found this to be much better than I had expected. I picked it up purely for Jet Li, and guess what? He can act outside of all out actioners. 8/10

Now to pick something else to watch before bed... Can you tell who sleeps for just a few hours a night. :lol:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 02 Jan 2014 23:33

Samuel_Scott wrote:Maniac Cop (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - First time I've watched this since 2002, and it's fun, if not particularly great. I'll buy the sequels eventually when the prices drop. 6/10

Oddly enough, Sam, I've got the second film lined up for tonight - though I seem to have caught some sort of funky man-flu and will probably end up falling asleep before the end and watching the rest tomorrow.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 03 Jan 2014 03:28

The Raid (US Blu)
Indeed a very good action movie with probably some of the most memorable fights ever, but a few pacing issues IMO, especially in the beginning - 8/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Jan 2014 05:25

Vincent_Bouche wrote:The Raid.
Indeed a very good action movie with probably some of the most memorable fights ever, but a few pacing issues IMO, especially in the beginning - 8/10.

Looking forward to the sequel. :)
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Jan 2014 05:29

Paul_Lewis wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:Maniac Cop (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - First time I've watched this since 2002, and it's fun, if not particularly great. I'll buy the sequels eventually when the prices drop. 6/10

Oddly enough, Sam, I've got the second film lined up for tonight - though I seem to have caught some sort of funky man-flu and will probably end up falling asleep before the end and watching the rest tomorrow.

Man flu is the worst kind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 03 Jan 2014 14:11

CRIMSON TIDE (Japanese blu-ray) - first viewing: 9/10

How much did you pay for it? If it aint a secret. :-D Coz they are still not exactly cheap...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 03 Jan 2014 17:46

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Vincent_Bouche wrote:The Raid.

Looking forward to the sequel. :)

You bet! :-D
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Jan 2014 17:51

My friend knew I wanted to see this one at the cinema, but I was in a remote area working whilst it was on (literally hundreds of miles from a cinema). He texted me to say he was just going through the doors to watch it. Texted me half hour later to say he had walked out because it was 'all in foreign'. How I wept.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 03 Jan 2014 18:24

Samuel_Scott wrote:My friend knew I wanted to see this one at the cinema, but I was in a remote area working whilst it was on (literally hundreds of miles from a cinema). He texted me to say he was just going through the doors to watch it. Texted me half hour later to say he had walked out because it was 'all in foreign'. How I wept.

Argh :cry:
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Jan 2014 00:20

I'd like to think he was joking, but I know he wasn't. :evil:

Batman Returns (UK Blu-ray) - This has the best PQ out of the Anthology set, and is also the best film (barely edging Batman). 8/10

Batman Forever (UK Blu-ray) - The downward spiral and destruction begins. 5/10

Batman & Robin (UK Blu-ray) - The downward spiral and destruction worsens. 3/10

Cannibal Warlords of Liberia (Vice documentary from Youtube) - The guy got into some damn scary situations, and the plight of this country is very sad. A good documentary well worth seeking out. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 04 Jan 2014 01:04

Samuel_Scott wrote:Man flu is the worst kind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ

That video is so very true :D

I watched MANIAC COP 2 tonight. I've always had a fondness for this one over the first one, largely because of Davi's performance in the film. The new Blu really shows of the cinematography: there's some really great nighttime location photography in this one that's often been overlooked, largely because of the VHS and previous DVD presentations of the film. (Check out the reviews on IMDb that specifically criticise the photography, for example.) Hopefully, I'll get round to watching BADGE OF SILENCE over the weekend.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 04 Jan 2014 03:35

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) (US Blu)
I must say it's been quite a big discovery, it's arguably better than its US remake! Wonderful PQ/AQ from Criterion as (almost) ever - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 04 Jan 2014 04:31

HULK (UK blu-ray steelbook) - first viewing: 7/10

Another melodramatic character-driven superhero film that appeals more to adult viewers than to teenagers, much less kids. I have two versions on dvd and have watched it three times so far. I couldn't resist getting the steelbook as I have a fondness for green and the superhero character :-D Story-wise, this is a lot better than the sequel. Watching this feels like watching a family drama, especially during the first 40 minutes! However, there are some notable points of the film: the plot exposition, Danny Elfman's score, split-screen editing and the battle scenes during the last 20 minutes.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (UK blu-ray) - second viewing: 7/10

Watched it once on video decades ago and didn't quite like it, then once on dvd with the same result. I couldn't agree more with the heavy criticisms this Optimum blu-ray received on its initial release. The sharpness, brightness and hue have been tinkered with, resulting in a different version "that was never meant to be seen" :lol:

On the film, I like the dystopian setting, the cast and, especially, John Carpenter's groovy synthesizer score which is one of the best 3 original scores he has ever composed. The other two being: Assault on Precinct 13 and Halloween.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Jan 2014 23:43

Predator 2 (UK Blu-ray) - Underrated follow-up IMO. I still enjoy Danny Glover's character in this, and felt it was fun to have a Predator in an urban environment. 7/10

Paranormal Activity 2 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Not a bad follow-up, and I quite like these supernatural found footage type movies. There are plenty worse of them out there in this sub-genre than this. 6/10

Home Alone (UK Blu-ray) - Childhood favourite, and was disappointed it didn't arrive in time for Xmas. It's held up well and still makes me laugh. 8/10

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (UK Blu-ray) - This was the film that made me buy LA Gears when I was a kid. :lol: 7/10

Jingle All the Way (UK Blu-ray) - Another childhood favourite, Arnie and Sinbad gel reasonably well together, but it really isn't any better than average... I just enjoy it from my younger years! 6/10
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion