In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres - Rate 2014 so far...

Postby Noor_Razzak » 16 Jul 2014 16:50

I feel like I'm the only one seeing movies in the theatre?
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Jul 2014 17:08

Pretty much. :lol:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Noor_Razzak » 24 Jul 2014 08:54

Lucy - I've been a Luc Besson fan for many years and was very much looking forward to this, overall it was ok. Decent story that kept moving at a quick pace, and the action was great, however some very heavy handed moments that treats the audience like idiots left a sour taste in my mouth, some minor plot issues, a totally wasted Min-sik Choi as the villain, and the film also ripped off parts of Akira... 6/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 26 Jul 2014 19:21

Lawrence & Hollowman - a very funny Canadian produced dark comedy, wonderful characterizations and dark twisted storytelling, it's a limited release independent film very much worth checking out. 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 28 Jul 2014 15:19

I'm away in Aberdeen for a few days from tomorrow so hope to get a little marathon session in at the cinema (for those that don't know, I live on a remote Scottish island - so no cinema!). Main targets are Guardians of the Galaxy 3D on Thursday and The Purge: Anarchy. Also hope to fit in Hercules and 22 Jump Street, and possibly How to Train Your Dragon 2 (though I hate going to this type of film as a grown man on my own for obvious reasons :lol: ).
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 31 Jul 2014 08:03

Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy, it's been a long time but this movie made me feel like a 10 year old kid again watching Star Wars or Indiana Jones for the first time, it was super fun. Easily the best movie that Marvel have ever produced. 10/10 no question.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Aug 2014 10:22

Didn't get to see as many films as I wanted to at the cinema whilst I was away for a course for a few days, but did see:

Hercules - Average popcorn fluff movie, but with a cast I liked, and some good humour. 6/10

Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - Like Noor, I absolutely loved it. Great soundtrack, very funny in all the right places, and action packed. The CGI and effects are amazing, and despite my reservations, a perfect cast. Zoe Saldana is hot in all colours. The only thing I was disappointed with, was the little Marvel scene after the credits had rolled. 10/10

Begin Again - Had no intention of seeing this, but after hearing so many good things, and kind of being told by a third party this is what we are watching, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo play off each other really well, James Corden doesn't outstay his welcome, and the music is great. 8/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 25 Sep 2014 10:09

The Equalizer - total action packed violent fun, never watched or was familiar with the TV show it's based on but Denzel always knocks it out of the park, although entirely predictable it was never boring and delivered all the way to a killer third act.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 11 Oct 2014 01:39

Jauja (Danish Film) - this film was described as a hallucinatory journey into the unknown, seemed good and has Viggo Mortensen in it so was worth checking out, turns out that was a bog mistake, this is easily one of the worst films I've seen this year. It's far too contemplative, like an endless void of a slow and drawn out narrative, and has a copout ending. 1/10
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 11 Oct 2014 07:49

Went to a screening of Foxcatcher tonight, best film of the year anchored by incredible performances from Channing Tatum (surprising he could deliver an intense dramatic performance), Steve Carell and Mark Ruffalo. They were game changing performances, especially Carell who plays a monster of quiet proportions. It may be Oscar bait but it really delivers as disturbing cinema that keeps viewers on the edge knowing that no good will come of these characters' relationships. 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 27 Oct 2014 02:26

Fury - It's been a while since I've seen a terrific WWII film, and Fury delivers, terrific tension, rock solid performances from the entire cast, incredible action, score and cinematography. Only downside is that it could be a bit too intense for some people, it's quite realistic and violent. 9/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 09 Nov 2014 04:10

Interstellar - saw this in IMAX tonight, let me say this is the only way to see this movie and if you're lucky enough to see it in 70mm IMAX then go for it. This is one incredible ride, some minor flaws hold it back from being a true masterpiece but Nolan and the studio managed to generate a incredible amount of hype for this film and for the most part they delivered. Also Hans Zimmer's score was simply magnificent - 9/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 26 Nov 2014 05:59

Birdman - Michael Keaton delivers a transformative, truly incredible performance sure to get an Oscar nomination. This was on fantastic film 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: In Theatres

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Aug 2015 10:49

So, now I am living on the mainland again, and kind of settled in, looks like lots of cinema trips instead of having to travel far and condense as many films into 3 days as I can.

Going to see Mission: Impossible this afternoon. The series has been good IMO, though I much prefer 2 and 4 to 1 and 3.

Thursday planning on Hitman: Agent 47, though reviews have been dreadful.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Aug 2015 17:41

Back from Mission: Impossible 5 and I give it a very solid 8/10. Never cared much for Sean Harris but between '71 and this, he has caught my attention for the future. Favourite scenes were the opera scene (reminded me of the De Palma entry) and the ridiculously mental Moroccan chase scene with the motorbikes.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 25 Aug 2015 21:00

On a whim shot off to watch Sinister 2 this evening. Pretty on-par with most of the more well known series in an overcrowded sub-genre. 5/10 (I gave the first a 7/10).
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Aug 2015 15:31

Fantastic Four - Fox need to relinquish the rights to this franchise stat. I was expecting better from Josh Trank after his excellent debut Chronicle. 3/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Aug 2015 23:06

Hitman: Agent 47 - Not as bad as I was expecting. A couple of reasonable set pieces, but they story was far too lazy. 4/10

Tomorrow's new releases for me will be an early morning showing of Straight Outta Compton and an afternoon showing of We Are Your Friends if I can be arsed.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 28 Aug 2015 15:06

Straight Outta Compton - Loved it. 9/10

Gave "We Are Your Friends" a pass as too long to wait between films. I'll catch it later in the week.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 31 Aug 2015 01:38

This summer I went to a few movies:

Avengers: Age of Ultron 7/10 not as good as the first one, especially since there's a lot to cover here but Whedon managed to deliver a solid entry into the franchise. Loved Ultron and loved the birth of Vision.

Mad Max: Fury Road easy 10/10 for me, even though it was light on plot, it was hands down the best film of the summer. Perfectly cast, ridiculously bonkers action that never stops from the first moments until the very end, the epitome of smack you in the face thrills.

Mission: Impossible - Rouge Nation 8/10 highly enjoyable entry into the franchise, action packed adventure. Cruise delivers yet again taking stunts to an extreme new high.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 8/10 another home run this summer, this film was largely ignored at the box office but I think Guy Ritchie delivered a humorous and fun espionage film that is wonderfully cast and manages to keep a smile on your face the whole way through.

Trainwreck 5/10 - honestly I don't get why people find Amy Schumer funny, I was never a fan of her stand up and she and her co-star Bill Hader are the least interesting thing about this film - in fact all the supporting players were far more memorable than the stars, especially Lebron James, who knew a Basketball player can act, let alone be funny and endearing among a group of talented comedians.

I Am Chris Farley 7/10 - a touching documentary about comedian Chris Farley and his untimely death, family, friends and SNL co-stars reminisce about the larger than life talent that shows Chris a big man with a big heart. They discuss the drugs and alcohol but gloss over it without delving too deeply into his dark side. Otherwise a great documentary that reminds us we lost a true comic legend in his prime.

Still hoping to see Ant-Man, Inside Out, Southpaw, Straight Outta Compton and Jurassic World at some point.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion